CB360 - Clean and simple

adventurco said:
You need a tool to pull the generator rotor with an impact. I grabbed the one at Common Motor (http://www.common-motor.com/honda-cb-rotor-puller). Be sure not to lose the woodruff key on the crankshaft (once the rotor is off) as it prevents the rotor from moving after you reinstall it. If you do misplace it they are available at Honda dealers (ask me how I know ). You will want to go through the general tune up procedure including timing after working on the motor anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Seems easy enough :)

Here's another dilemma.

Since I'd like the stance of this build to be somewhat low and long verses the more traditional shorter cafe style wheel base, I'm going to stretch the swing arm.

This will accomplish a couple things. It will give me a little more clearance between the seat and rear tire (rather than just getting shorter rear springs) and it will help balance out the visual weight of the motorcycle with the space between the frame and the tires.

Just playing with the positioning, this is what a ~3 inch rear stretch looks like:
ehVEptf.jpg

I really like how this looks and will probably be the length I stick with, especially since the rear spring angle closely matches the front fork angle. The space will probably be pretty similar visually with the exhaust mounted.

This is a ~6 inch stretch.
nbAgprj.jpg

I kind of like the spacing and the ride height but the angle of the shocks is too steep, both for looks and for usefulness, and I might run into clearance problems. Probably if I went with something this long I'd use the new found space to put a mono rear shock and get rid of the dual rear shocks.

Thoughts?

I would just make spacers to fit 15mm axle in GSXR forks (in fact I have, several times ;D )
I have a couple of HD front hubs but never used them

trek97 said:
I will delete the pic from your thread, once I know youve seen it. I loathe thread whores.

If I were to do another Id max out at 2.5" Mine is currently 4" and after looking at it for the past 5 years +- I think it looks too much.

4 is absurd...6 is just ridiculous.

Thanks! feel free to leave the picture, I like having the reference.

crazypj said:
I would just make spacers to fit 15mm axle in GSXR forks (in fact I have, several times ;D )
I have a couple of HD front hubs but never used them

You make it sound easy! Do you have any more information on what you did?

The carb kits came in but I ruined the secondary jet on the last carb and the kits didn't come with new ones, so I ordered those.

I also peeked inside the other carb... it's much more gross than the first one.
O2c47uQ.jpg

I think it'd be neat to use the original master cylinder but rebuild kits are as much as new master cylinders... plus I've been struggling to get this snap ring out even after lots of soaking in PB blaster. And I'm not sure if the CB360 master cylinder has enough umph to move the GSXR750 caliper...
6chk5oc.jpg

It depends on what kind of bars you're putting on. If you're fitting clip ons, the OEM master cylinder is not great at all. It doesn't really allow the correct angle of the lever for comfortable position.

You can find a detached reservoir master cylinder on ebay with the correct piston size. If i were you, I'd just look for a master cylinder off a compatible GXSR, that way you know the piston ratios will match up.

Also that snap ring was a pain in the ass. I think I broke it in half to get it out, since the rebuild kits usually come with them .

I think you just need to concentrate all efforts towards getting the engine back in her. and hear her run before spending too much effort or money.

tnum said:
The carb kits came in but I ruined the secondary jet on the last carb and the kits didn't come with new ones, so I ordered those.

I also peeked inside the other carb... it's much more gross than the first one.
O2c47uQ.jpg

Kits come with secondary main jets but not primary main jets.
Primaries are pretty specific to the CB360 carb only.
Stock 68 works best for just about every application but 60~65 should give better performance and economy on transition around 4,500rpm

It's been a while, but I think the OD on the wheel bearing is 52mm, which means you just need to get 25mm x 52mm bearings and some wheel spacers.

adventurco said:
It depends on what kind of bars you're putting on. If you're fitting clip ons, the OEM master cylinder is not great at all. It doesn't really allow the correct angle of the lever for comfortable position.

You can find a detached reservoir master cylinder on ebay with the correct piston size. If i were you, I'd just look for a master cylinder off a compatible GXSR, that way you know the piston ratios will match up.

Also that snap ring was a pain in the ass. I think I broke it in half to get it out, since the rebuild kits usually come with them .

Yeah, I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do yet. I just found this one and it seems reasonable and period correct http://4into1.com/replica-kawasaki-complete-brake-master-cylinder-use-on-honda-too-14mm/

Haven't done the math yet but this chart seems handy: http://www.vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm

trek97 said:
I think you just need to concentrate all efforts towards getting the engine back in her. and hear her run before spending too much effort or money.

For sure, I'm not going to buy brake stuff until I need it but it doesn't hurt to fight with that snap ring while the carbs soak.

crazypj said:
Kits come with secondary main jets but not primary main jets.
Primaries are pretty specific to the CB360 carb only.
Stock 68 works best for just about every application but 60~65 should give better performance and economy on transition around 4,500rpm

hm... these are what I didn't get and what I needed because my kits didn't include them: http://www.common-motor.com/honda-cb-360-Secondary-Main-Jet-68

deviant said:
It's been a while, but I think the OD on the wheel bearing is 52mm, which means you just need to get 25mm x 52mm bearings and some wheel spacers.

Thats easy enough to find out - did you not have to machine out the inside of the hub to fit the larger axle and more importantly the even larger spacer? That's the only part I was worried about but if all I had to do was swap out the bearings and spacers that'd be great! :D

Here's the clean carb with the new stuff in it, you can see the jet that's all chewed up from the vice grips I used to get it out...
K8esZ6S.jpg

I'm not sure if that's primary or secondary but that is the one I didn't get and ordered based on the picture haha.

Also, I'm not sure if an O-ring goes in here but it seemed to fit nicely so I left it.
8N112zf.jpg

And one more picture just because.
Ex9bG6I.jpg

The kits did come with new needle jets but the one in the carb didn't seem to be damaged or easy to get out so I just left it in.

The GSXR rotor came in too so I can make sure everything lines up correctly when I'm fitting the front wheel. Definitely will be an improvement over stock.
Rsi3zCZ.jpg

Looks like it will fit nicely.
FAcjIBn.jpg

Just a rough line up but there seems to be plenty of space between the much wider GSXR caliper and the wheel when it's centered between the forks.
UOME0qZ.jpg

And it looks pretty sweet. Might need to figure out something with the extra caliper bracket though...
vlodCzF.jpg

Liking this build...maybe mount a dummy disc/caliper or cut n polish the old mounts off?

Don't get me wrong....but if you're worried about how to modify the front spindle how will you cope with a mono-shock conversion? There's more to it than just a few brackets welded on to the frame by all accounts. Check out threads on here where folk are attempting it....interesting information from those what know better.

Carry on chap.... ;D

tnum said:
And one more picture just because.
Ex9bG6I.jpg

The kits did come with new needle jets but the one in the carb didn't seem to be damaged or easy to get out so I just left it in.

Did the kits include the pre-formed bowl gasket I see on the right hand side of this pic? Or is that the old stock gasket?

Be sure to re-use the original stock springs on the A/F mix adjusters. Originals are formed flat and smooth on the ends unlike the cut wire springs that come w most kits. The sharp ends can shave brass/aluminum clogging the pilot circuit or A/F circuit.

11494-280516052658.jpeg

The carbs came out super clean 8) The chewed up jets are the Main primaries. The "needle jets" are the Main secondaries.

Screenshot2013-03-31at500_zps5ba7ea36.jpg

These main primaries (same but longer) can be modified to replace them. Like PJ said (stock is 68) you "may" eventually want to go smaller, but you wont know til you get her running. I might have 55s in mine...But my carbs are HEAVILY MODIFIED. Installing smaller Main primaries could make it too lean and have over heating problems, but most likley stalling on decel.

http://jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_type/jets_keihin_99101-124_and_99101-ZF5_air.html

trek97 said:
Did the kits include the pre-formed bowl gasket I see on the right hand side of this pic? Or is that the old stock gasket?

Speaking of which, I finally found some for a reasonable price on ebay (from 4-into-1). Had the hardest time sourcing these and they must have recently become available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172161302780?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've already done a couple of GSXR front ends onto 360 (even though one ended up going to Australia for Neevo on his CB400f)
002.jpg

This is before steering stem was modified but with stock wheel assembled and CBR600 rotors/calipers (with adapters)
004.jpg

I used a Suzuki Katana front axle and made spacers for it to fit into the oversized holes in fork bottoms. The spacers allow wheel to be properly centered (slid to side in pic to show how it was done)

adventurco said:
Speaking of which, I finally found some for a reasonable price on ebay (from 4-into-1). Had the hardest time sourcing these and they must have recently become available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172161302780?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks bro, just ordered a pair. You can still get them through Honda but they come w all the other o-rings as a set...$16 per carb. ouch.

trek97 said:

Be sure to re-use the original stock springs on the A/F mix adjusters. Originals are formed flat and smooth on the ends unlike the cut wire springs that come w most kits. The sharp ends can shave brass/aluminum clogging the pilot circuit or A/F circuit.

The carbs came out super clean 8) The chewed up jets are the Main primaries. The "needle jets" are the Main secondaries.

These main primaries (same but longer) can be modified to replace them. Like PJ said (stock is 68) you "may" eventually want to go smaller, but you wont know til you get her running. I might have 55s in mine...But my carbs are HEAVILY MODIFIED. Installing smaller Main primaries could make it too lean and have over heating problems, but most likley stalling on decel.

http://jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_type/jets_keihin_99101-124_and_99101-ZF5_air.html

I'm just sticking with stock size jets for now - and just making sure I have all the ones new regardless of the name haha.

I found this on google,
CB360floatchamberside.jpg

Which seems to match the naming consensus, does that mean I ordered the wrong jets or are they possibly labeled wrong on the site? They looked like the ones I needed and didn't come in the kit...

This is the kit I bought: http://4into1.com/shaped-o-ring-float-bowl-gasket-set-of-2-honda-cb360-cj360t-cl360/

The thing I referred to as the needle jet is the thing in the middle without any threads - it looks like you can push out the old you and press that one in but I don't think it's needed in this case.

It did come with the preformed gaskets - that's a good point about the springs though, I'll have to double check and see if the ones that were in there are still the originals.

trek97 said:
Thanks bro, just ordered a pair. You can still get them through Honda but they come w all the other o-rings as a set...$16 per carb. ouch.

They sell them off the website too for half the price (plus shipping)... probably a wash if that's all you needed but something to keep in mind if you're ordering several things: http://4into1.com/shaped-o-ring-float-bowl-gasket-set-of-2-honda-cb360-cj360t-cl360/

Back
Top Bottom