Newbie from Florida

ApacheAv8tor

Hello, I'm looking at a bike to build into a Cafe. I'm from Jacksonville, FL and still serving in the Military. Got my eye on an 81 Yamaha XS 1100. Hope to find some advice and ideas on this forum. Thanks

Jacksonville, my home town. Good luck with the build and welcome to your new addiction! That should be a good bike to build off of.

The GS750 platform is a great choice for a cafe. It's already pretty close to what you would want for a vintage street racer. Welcome to DTT.

Great condition with 26K miles. Haven't figured out the pics for this forum yet. It's on Craigslist Jax,FL. He wants 1750.00 he's the 3rd owner and had it for the last 12 years. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using DO THE TON mobile app

Howdy from MTL - great looking ride, I'm no help with the price or anything but just wanted to stop by and say hi and good luck - I'm building my first bike and having a blast =)

That is a beautiful example of a well cared for GS. His asking price is fair as far as the market goes. He could probably ask $2500 and get it if he wasn't in a hurry. Just be sure to ask him if he has any paperwork or receipts for service or work done while he bike was in his care.

That said, at that mileage a good going over would be in order. The GS motor is pretty hardy but I'd feel better pulling the top end for a full inspection.

All in all, I think it's a pretty fair price for a really wonderful machine. Hopefully some others will chime in with more in depth info for you.

ApacheAv8tor said:
Thank you. I don't have the expertise to pull the top off. I'm hoping to pick it up today or tomorrow. Really looks too good to mod. It starts right up.

Don't tear it apart for awhile.......just ride it.

Welcome from up in Georgia.......

Thanks for serving, bro. 20 year vet myself.

You're from Jacksonville and stationed elsewhere, or stationed in Jax as well?

Good looking bike....as said already, ride it, then ride it some more.

Jax has the weather for 'cept for those humid afternoon rains.

I bought all my bikes for under $600, you can use the extra grand to do a lot of work on the bike, just make sure the bike is running or was and you just need a carb clean. I bought a 2007 Virago 250 with 1,500 miles on it. just wait it out, you being in the military a grand is a lot and I feel it's better to get a bike that isn't in pristine condition, hate trash a really good bike. Just depends on what you want to do.

ApacheAv8tor said:
Thank you. I don't have the expertise to pull the top off. I'm hoping to pick it up today or tomorrow. Really looks too good to mod. It starts right up.

I don't mean a full tear down. Just pull the valve cover and take a look. Change the oil and inspect the old stuff for metal shavings and rubber bits. Just basic stuff you should always do with a new to you scoot.

Thanks for all the input. Got it a little cheaper than discussed. Put 50 miles on it and had a blast. I'm an old motorcycle cop so all the good times came back. Seems to be running fine.

ApacheAv8tor said:
Thanks for all the input. Got it a little cheaper than discussed. Put 50 miles on it and had a blast. I'm an old motorcycle cop so all the good times came back. Seems to be running fine.

Good score.

Back
Top Bottom