'72 CB350 drive chain/sprocket replacement

shermerrr

Does anybody know of a good step by step tutorial on how to replace the drive chain and front and rear sprocket? Tried searching but couldn't find anything. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

What type of master link are you using, Rivet or Clip Style? If Rivet, start off by getting a chain break / riveting tool. Motion pro makes a decent one but I recommend the RK Kit. A bit pricey but well worth it.

If you going with a clip style master link you dont even need a chain tool. You can hacksaw or grind off the old chain and the new one will simply snaps on with some pliers.

This was a decent writeup on webbikeworld.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-sprocket/

Where are you at so far? Everything is pretty simple, just make sure you get the chain down the right size so the adjuster is as far forward as possible.

Thanks for the link MotoMadness. I believe I have a rivet chain. I ordered a non o-ring chain/sprocket set off eBay. I haven't started the job yet as I wanted to make sure I could handle it. After reading through the tutorial I'm fairly certain I can handle this. I will probably attempt it tomorrow.

Most of the old bikes had clip type master links. Most of the non-o-ring chains are clip type also....

OK so I do have a masterlink clips. I pulled the drive chain case and inside everything was covered in a viscous brown goo. I took off the old chain and I'm not sure what to do next. Is it okay to complete blast everything and then regrease (The clutch ball bearing)? If so what kind of grease should I use?

Back
Top Bottom