'73 CB350 - Oil Leak and Metal in Oil

KneeDrag

So my CB350 is leaking oil (looks like a bad seal at the shifter), and the oil that it is leaking has quite a bit of metal in it.

Two questions:

1) Is it hard to change this seal?

2) What are some probably causes of the metal in the oil? The exhaust doesn't smoke (blue or white), and the engine does run (not the best, but it does run). Is there common issues with these motors that would help point me in the right direction to start trying to figure this out?

1.) No.

2.) Cam chain eating up the aluminum cases is the most common reason. This happens when the chain isn't tensioned properly. Do the metal flakes stick to a magnet?

Didn't even THINK to try that!!! Haha. I already ordered the replacement seal kit, when I drain the oil i'll do that magnet test and see what happens!

If it is the cam chain tensioner, is there an improved aftermarket solution? Or just adjust the OEM unit? I just ordered a Clymer service manual, and have the PDF version of the Honda shop manual... So hopefully, the adjustment/replacement isn't too hard to do.

There is an aftermarket option, but I can't remember who makes them. They have a replacement plastic sprocket. You see them on eBay from time-to-time. Not sure if they're any better than stock, though.

There are replacement HDPE tensioner sprockets from poland on ebay,
theres also the KA slipper tensioner, that requires a bit of machine work though.

How bad if the oil leak if its allowing pieces of metal to get by?
Change the oil and have a look in there.

i have a cam chain tensioner part number 14500-312-000.

if that is your part number make me an offer. it has been for sale for some time. original Honda part still in package. was for sale for 50 but wold take almost anything reasonable.

i would just mail it to you and wish that you would shoot me some cash back in the mail when you get it.

TheCoffeeGuy said:
i have a cam chain tensioner part number 14500-312-000.

if that is your part number make me an offer. it has been for sale for some time. original Honda part still in package. was for sale for 50 but wold take almost anything reasonable.

i would just mail it to you and wish that you would shoot me some cash back in the mail when you get it.

HAHAH I love this strategy.

I had a newspaper article about my business in the local paper and some company kept pestering me about a "commemorative plaque" I kept telling them I wasn't interested.
so what did they do? they SHIPPED IT TO ME. I opened it up and yeah its nice, 300 bucks nice? hell no.
Called them up and said i dont want this and they tried to sell me. "Half price? NO 1/3 Price? NO 1/4 Price? NO Hell we'll take anything, I SAID NO"
So they never sent a return label so its hanging on my wall ;D

SONICJK, the difference is I am a legit guy. I sold my 72 CB350 K4 which won best Asian Bike at the Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Show in January. I restored it, titled it, and made it what is was. I am an active member on here and have 4 other bikes. You need to research something before you Diss it

SONICJK you don't always have to act your IQ.

My e mail is mhaurlkl@rogers.com
I live in Cambridge Ontario anyone who wants to verify this can call me at 519-239-4140. or simply e mail me. or perhaps you can contact an admin on here and ask around.

I have a personal web site www.thecoffeeguy.ca

If I was a shyster I wouldn't have all this in the public domain.

Don;t be a jerk for someone wanting to help out!

If you want you can search Kijiji in Kitchener Cambridge for the item.

here is the link http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-motorcycle-parts-accessories-14500-312-000-Cam-chainTensioner-Honda-W0QQAdIdZ439637235

TheCoffeeGuy said:
SONICJK, the difference is I am a legit guy. I sold my 72 CB350 K4 which won best Asian Bike at the Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Show in January. I restored it, titled it, and made it what is was. I am an active member on here and have 4 other bikes. You need to research something before you Diss it

SONICJK you don't always have to act your IQ.

My e mail is mhaurlkl@rogers.com
I live in Cambridge Ontario anyone who wants to verify this can call me at 519-239-4140. or simply e mail me. or perhaps you can contact an admin on here and ask around.

I have a personal web site www.thecoffeeguy.ca

If I was a shyster I wouldn't have all this in the public domain.

Don;t be a jerk for someone wanting to help out!

If you want you can search Kijiji in Kitchener Cambridge for the item.

here is the link http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-motorcycle-parts-accessories-14500-312-000-Cam-chainTensioner-Honda-W0QQAdIdZ439637235

Wasn't at all trying to imply bad things?
Cool your jets there hoss, no need to go into douchbag mode for no apparent reason, insulting my IQ and all, that hurts.

I was simply sharing a story that I thought was funny about that particular sales tactic (i will admit that i thought you were joking) but I certainly wasn't trying to imply anything bad about you. Nor did I ever imply that you were a shyster, or that you didn't have the item. Hell I'll even admit that I think 50 for the OEM part is a deal and if I still had my 350 id probably buy it off you for insurance.

You might want to pull your head out of your ass, go deal with whatever problem has you so tightly wound, come back here and reread my post chief.

HAHAH I love this strategy.

"I had a newspaper article about my business in the local paper and some company kept pestering me about a "commemorative plaque" I kept telling them I wasn't interested.
so what did they do? they SHIPPED IT TO ME. I opened it up and yeah its nice, 300 bucks nice? hell no.
Called them up and said i dont want this and they tried to sell me. "Half price? NO 1/3 Price? NO 1/4 Price? NO Hell we'll take anything, I SAID NO"
So they never sent a return label so its hanging on my wall ;D

So don't imply that I am a scammer.

It was meant as a friendly story, no scamming accusations intended.
How could you possibly be a scammer if you're offering to ship a part free of charge and then just hope to get some cash out of it. I think thats the opposite of scammer.

Anyway, sorry my post was misconstrued, I was just being friendly. Doesn't convey on the internet I suppose.

You townshould just fuck and get it over with. Remember though, no kissing on the mouth.

As Sonreir stated... Its likely alum from the tensioner rubbing the case/cyl but until you determine whether or not its magnetic, there's no way to tell. Any chance you can get a good poc of the oil w the debris in it?

Back
Top Bottom