Importing - Where Do I even start?

Clarky

Hey folks, this might be a bit of a long shot but I'd like to know if you know much about importing motorcycles, particularly from UK to US as I'm planning on moving to the US later on this year. I know there's a fair bit of red tape regarding it however the motorcycle in question will be a bit of a special, in that it's going to be a 1949 BSA B33 frame with a brand new BSA DBD34 engine in it. I know there's exception from emission guidelines and such if you've got a classic/vintage motorcycle I'm not sure if mine would quite be classed as one. I'd appreciate hearing about any experiences you guys have had, good & bad not just with US/UK stuff.

Cheers guys!

You just import it. It's as easy as filling out a form, pay $7 and you're done. Make sure you have ownership papers of course that show the matching vin.

Ignore everything you read about importing since it's usually written by some writer in California. Their viewpoint doesn't extend past their own state.

redwillissuperman said:
Ignore everything you read about importing since it's usually written by some writer in California. Their viewpoint doesn't extend past their own state.

Assuming the OP is not going to California, of course... 8)

Try typing in "Permanently importing a motorcycle". It will tell you what you need to do rather than my cousin had a friend who knew a guy who's buddy imported a bike sort of crap. You just have to remember that the govt. has a form for everything. All you gotta do is get that form and fill it out.

Hoofhearted said:
Try typing in "Permanently importing a motorcycle". It will tell you what you need to do rather than my cousin had a friend who knew a guy who's buddy imported a bike sort of crap. You just have to remember that the govt. has a form for everything. All you gotta do is get that form and fill it out.

This ^^^^^^

But make sure to add the state you'll be moving to. Motor vehicle laws vary from state to state in the US.

^^^^ True. But the Feds get first crack at you. Once the bike is here then you deal with the state. If it comes in clean and no hitches the state is usually easy to deal with. I'm in California and over the years I've bought all kinds of junk and never had a problem dealing with the DMV here. The DMV here, like the Feds, have a form for every possibility. Fill out the right one and jump through the hoops and its pretty simple. The other thing I found that helps is to make the person you are dealing with feel superior and you helpless. Might sound a bit kiss assish but it works. A few years ago I bought a bike from a guy. He took the bike in lieu of money owed and never registered it in his name. He had not title. The tags were 14 years out of date and all I got from him was a bill of sale. Went to the DMV, feigned helplessness and did what they told me and got new plates and tags no problem. They have Is to dot and Ts to cross and they don't really care. They have rules to follow and so do you. Do that and its no big deal.

Back
Top Bottom