71 Yamaha CS3// confuser project.

Egiffis

Hey friends..
So here is the story- had a younger friend come stay with me, he wanted to learn to wrench and ride while visiting.
after hunting CL for a long time for a perfect candidate we finally pulled the trigger.
was looking for an electrical nightmare but not a full bottom end tear down.
the guy had it listed as an RD, and that has always been my dream bike- was super stoked cause the price was right.
Got there, examined- it all checked out, except it was a CS. not a big deal - just no reeds.
first thing- ditched all the OG wiring(at some point someone tried to rewire it- even had a home light switch in the headlight bucket for kill?!?!?!?!)
got a CDI ignition from power dynamo(HIGHLY HIGHLY SUGGEST THE INVESTMENT)
got it running.
oil injection out
premix in
stock airbox out
uni pods in
Cleaned carbs
new tranny fluid
new rectangle headlight
new massively oversized ridiculous tires. (why? my question was, why not!)
thats about it- it came with the clubman bars so i left them, just chopped them shorter.
waiting on temp gauge to arrive and ill start going out on longer rides. been just ripping around the neighborhood and i love it- feels great.
the tires were suppose to be 4 inch, but they are measuring just above that at proper inflation so the only problem I've run into is the bent center stand- i know its going to be lame without it, but i think ima delete the stand tomorrow.

I know the styling is confused- and obnoxious, but I'm pretty stoked on it.

curious to hear thoughts, positive and/or negative!

Attachments

• IMG_2321-3.JPG
    IMG_2321-3.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 266
Put some fenders on it and a set of superbike bars.

That would make the seating more comfortable with the standard peg position.

The tires are a bit over the top, but I like it.

Hate to be the bad guy here, but those tires are actually dangerous. That bike in stock trim, with proper rubber is wobbly and unsure at speed. I had an RD200 that you REALLY had to finesse in corners. The front forks are chromed spaghetti (without a fender or brace, spaghetti is an improvement) and the stock rear shocks are junk. I promise. Any actually spirited riding in it's current form will be scary. Sorry man. You'll want the correct tires before doing anything else.

for sure not the bad guy, i appreciate all feed back..
i jump on it once every two weeks at most; Now that I know it will reliably start, and can hold an idle.
Different forks, especially with a disk set up would be ideal, but right now this is doing the job for a mellow run around the block.
will be on the look out for fenders-
Bars are fine for now- I'm a short dude so fairly comfortable.

Attachments

• IMG_3044.JPG
    IMG_3044.JPG
    852.7 KB · Views: 234
Back
Top Bottom