CB350 Built by a teen (Weld Now, Grind Later)

Re: CB350 Built by a teen

you should heat rubber to make it more pliable, not freeze it

PJ

crazypj said:
you should heat rubber to make it more pliable, not freeze it

PJ

didnt think of that...

the amount that it needed to shrink to fit was small enough that i didnt have to try anything else... ill remember it if i ever have to put a chunk of rubber in a hole again...

;D ;D

Talk about ahead of the curve! If the girls at your school don't get it, just wait till college. By then you'll probably be on a Triumph. You are giving that old 350 some soul and your going to use it. Two things that haven't happened in 30 years for that poor bike. Keep it up!

two wheels of hell said:
Talk about ahead of the curve! If the girls at your school don't get it, just wait till college. By then you'll probably be on a Triumph. You are giving that old 350 some soul and your going to use it. Two things that haven't happened in 30 years for that poor bike. Keep it up!

thanks for the words man

girls at school dont get it... doesnt really bother me much... the few girls i do have are all i need... ;)

fun fact about myself... i name all my bikes... motorcycles and bicycles.

This ones named Clara...

My track bicycle is named Julia, my bmx Megan, and my road bike Jennifer.

its always a great conversation when someone calls and im telling them who im riding :)

its always a great conversation when someone calls and im telling them who im riding

Haha, awesome. For real, chics in college love guys who can make stuff. I made a bunch of furniture for my dorm room and my apartment. Girls (and guys for that matter) were always amazed. Welders are high in demand at college too, all the frats want stripper poles.

I built 4 bikes in college... the first one was a solo seat chopper... all 3 of the rest could hold a passanger, got me laid more times than i care to recall, hell got me my wifey now, ha ha ha she even has 3 bikes now!

JRK5892 said:
I built 4 bikes in college... the first one was a solo seat chopper... all 3 of the rest could hold a passanger, got me laid more times than i care to recall, hell got me my wifey now, ha ha ha she even has 3 bikes now!

Screw dogs, bikes are mans best friend. hell, they even help us out by getting our birds all nice and warmed up for us...

they just cant deny those vibrations ;D

ha ha ha On my harley it has a rubber mounted V twin... wife loves to leave her bike in the garage and hop on the back of mine every now and then... i guess downshifting is much more fun on my bike ;)

Day 6

Really theres a couple days of work shown here...

Heres the starter blocked off for those who are wondering...
IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

Heres my buffing wheel setup... I like the way its set up, but i dont like the quality of my pieces entirely. I think ill end up doing them all over again. I mean its definitly a ridiculous improvement over stock which was faded and tarnished, but i still see fine scratches in places.

IMG_0197.jpg

The parts look shinier in person... and even shinier in the sun. They are a bit dusty in these pictures and they dont have a final coat of mothers mag polish on them so they should glow pretty nicely when done. either way, im going to redo everything. it isnt done until its perfect.... not too mention how much rouge i have left ;D

IMG_0199.jpg

I left the casting marks on the top tree... they add to the vintage look.... plus it would take wayyyy to much time to get them all out :D

IMG_0203.jpg

Mock up of the covers on the bike...

IMG_0207.jpg

the engine will have the entire bottom end polished. the cylinders will be gloss black with polished fins, and the heads will be polished.

I had scored this awesome headlight... the bucket is in pretty shabby condition and i need to fix the trim (small bend in it) but it should look good when its done. its about an inch bigger then stock, and is about as big as you can make it without making a very weird mount for it. Should look sick when its said and done. I think ill be doing an alloy bucket for it. Either that or ill make a mold out of fiberglass.

IMG_0215.jpg

next bit of work will show the other fork leg polished, then the forks reassembled once i get in new fork legs. will be running cb750 fork legs, -1 in length, so that i can run the progressive springs. The progressive springs would fit in the 450 forks, but there would be way too much preload. instead of running stock cb750 fork legs and pushing them 2 inches up in the trees, im going the middle ground. added preload should be nice... if its really too much ill run lighter fork oil.

will also have pictures up of the rear drum being drilled and polished once i get around too it.

Re: CB350 Built by a teen (Picture Heavy!!)

nice man! be sure you are wearing a mask and eye protection while doin the polish, use WD40 to lube as you have that sucker going, and you can get some show polish finishes, may also want a mirco fiber wheel to use for show polish

Sorry if I read ya wrong, but the cb750 tubes are larger in diameter than a cb350's. They wont fith into the 350 trees... You can modify 750 trees/stem to fit the 350 neck, or machine out the 350 trees. I wouldnt recommend machining out the stock though, as you really dont want to take any material AWAY from the bits holding your front end on! :D
Also if you use 750 trees I believe there wider than a 350 so you would need a 750 front wheel as well.
The build is looking awesome though! Keep up the good work. The 350s are great, and have soo much potential. I have family in north Jersey (I was born in Boonton, if ya know where that is) and plan on riding out there next year. Once your up and running we should meet up. Id love a tour of the city, as I havent been there since I was a kid...

VonYinzer said:
Sorry if I read ya wrong, but the cb750 tubes are larger in diameter than a cb350's. They wont fith into the 350 trees... You can modify 750 trees/stem to fit the 350 neck, or machine out the 350 trees. I wouldnt recommend machining out the stock though, as you really dont want to take any material AWAY from the bits holding your front end on! :D
Also if you use 750 trees I believe there wider than a 350 so you would need a 750 front wheel as well.
The build is looking awesome though! Keep up the good work. The 350s are great, and have soo much potential. I have family in north Jersey (I was born in Boonton, if ya know where that is) and plan on riding out there next year. Once your up and running we should meet up. Id love a tour of the city, as I havent been there since I was a kid...

using a cb450 front end... have forks and trees and front wheel. Front is being converted to a disk...

the 450 forks had a bit of pitting, and for 150 dollars, i couldnt possibly pass up on getting new ones.

Started to drill out my rear drum... it looks GREAT!

ill post some pictures when its finished.

WOW.. the build looks great so far..
My first bike ever was the exact same bike: a 72 cb350 in the same colour:
NoelOcolPolicy74702549b.jpg

Then I spray bombed it
100-0028_IMG-1.jpg

im well on my way to being just like you =D

great looking bike leon!

also the same bike i am building my bobber out of! great scoots!

Got my rear drum slotted... next up is to polish it and put some sweet metal mesh as the backing.

IMG_0230.jpg

Amazing what can be done with a drill a jigsaw and some metal files =D

there not perfect, but they will look just fine with the mesh backing.

Back
Top Bottom