Getting an old tire off that is stuck like it has been welded to the rim

Maritime

Over 10,000 Posts
OK so I am trying to get the rear tire off the old CX I am working on. Can't get the bead broken at all. the front came with some muscle and blocks of wood etc. The rear wont move, I cut the tire opne to look and the bead is stuck to the wheel like it was fused! never seen a tire stuck so bad. So any tips on how to get it off? any solutions I can pour in to soften the rubber without ruining the alloy? I tried prying at it with my irons and worked up a huge sweat and was starting to mark the rim so I quit before I borke something. I may have to take it to a shop with a bead breaker but I would rather not as I will be mounting my tires myself.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Cheers,

Maritime

I use a set of Sears ratcheting hand clamps. Large C-clamps will work too. Clamp as close to the bead on both sides of the tire as you can and draw the two side of the tire in. A couple clamps close together helps. Soak the bead with WD40 or some PB Blaster as well.

Matt

Wahoo650 said:
I use a set of Sears ratcheting hand clamps. Large C-clamps will work too. Clamp as close to the bead on both sides of the tire as you can and draw the two side of the tire in. A couple clamps close together helps. Soak the bead with WD40 or some PB Blaster as well.

Matt

Thanks, I tried clamps but not the blaster. I'll give it a soak tonight and pick up a better clamp. I was using bar clamps because my largest c-clamp won't go over the tire.

I used to bust tires in the army with, of all things, other tires. Kinda sorta like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bha3go80Syg

Maritime said:
I tried prying at it with my irons and worked up a huge sweat and was starting to mark the rim so I quit before I borke something.

You sir are a better man than I! That's the point I would have been throwing it against walls and running over it haha

I've had luck in the past with big c clamps as well

Ha, I came close. I have taken plenty of tires off, this one has just been a bitch to get the bead to give at all. I think the big problem was I ran out of beer just as I was attempting the remove it and I couldn;t do my get frustrated, stop, drink beer, think about it then try something else. I jst gave up and went back upstairs and watched cartoons with my son ;D I like the plank and truck Idea. I may try that if I can get someone to guide me from running over the whole wheel.

vandernf said:
use a zip cut and cut the thing off

Did that but the bead is so stuck I can't cut the last of the tire without cutting into the rim. It is cut right down to 1/8" of the rim. And prying at it to get it away to finish the cut was wrecking the aluminum.

I am going home for luch in a few, I will hit it with PB blaster and let it sit until Supper and see if I can get it lose. If I can I will report back. I think I may have to pick up some beer to make sure I have sufficient lubrication to remove it. I am going to try the plank and truck trick, My sone should be able to tell me when it pops off.

So I hit it with PB, did it again, got the bead to move off the edge of the rim about 3 mm and could not get it over the seat. So I tried the trick in the vid but used a couple of 1x6 and they broke before adding enough pressure. I found a piece of 4x4 but ran out of time. So I think I will just get a couple of clamps from a buddy and try those. it should work with the pb blaster. I need to invest in a proper breaker I think. I used a bottle jack on its side between 2 studs in the old garage I had at the rental place to break the bead on the GL tires. This has been the single worst thing on this bike so far.

shamus said:
I forgot to mention that it worked.

Ha, I don't have one or I'd try it. I am borrowing a large c-clamp from a buddy that should work for now. I will get a bead breaker before the next bike so it isn't such a pain to do this.

Back
Top Bottom