Is my hub now a paper weight?

quadracer351

Coast to Coast
So today I got my Buchanan's spokes in the mail and went to start lacing my wheels. When I went to start lacing the rear hub (cb750) I noticed where I believe the bearing seal went on the sprocket side was stripped. Now since I didn't have the proper wrench to remove the bearing seals I had a Honda shop do it and like an idiot never thought to check the thread. Now that my hub is all powder coated and going back together I would really really hate for my hub to be shot. Is there anything I can do about this?
qa3uba7a.jpg

uje8yzy8.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371774172381.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371774172381.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 240
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371774193460.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371774193460.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 245
Such a pain. I took it to then cause I didn't have the tools to do it right. I should of checked it before waking out, that was my own fault. But you would also think when he saw what he was doing he would of just stopped before doing more damage

Re: Re: Is my hub now a paper weight?

MotoMadness said:
I would bring it back to the shp and show them. Make them pay for fixing it.

+1. This is what you paid for, they should make it right.

It looks like the shop didn't have a clue.
Get a new bearing retainer, I think they pressed bearing out without removing it.
Take hub back to shop with a print out of microfiche see manager and 'go berserk' on his ass (always good to have an audience when you do this, they will be much more 'helpful' ;)
They need to get you a 'new' hub if they fucked it up'

crazypj said:
It looks like the shop didn't have a clue.
Get a new bearing retainer, I think they pressed bearing out without removing it.
Take hub back to shop with a print out of microfiche see manager and 'go berserk' on his ass (always good to have an audience when you do this, they will be much more 'helpful' ;)
They need to get you a 'new' hub if they fucked it up'

No they hammered it out with a screwdriver and completely bent the retainer. I'm just more pissed that I paid to powder coat it

Yeah,
Id go in and ask nicely for them to replace or repair it, and when they didnt id be a little more forceful, and it would go on like that until I left with either a bloody nose or a new part ;D

But is this something that can even be fixed? I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this problem.

That looks like the retainer ring is still in there but "machined" out. If that inner ring is what's left of the retainer, remove and replace it with a new one.

Make them get you a hub, I trained as a machinist, good used hub will be cheaper than re-threading and getting a custom retainer made
They didn't drill out the stake marks did they

teazer said:
That looks like the retainer ring is still in there but "machined" out. If that inner ring is what's left of the retainer, remove and replace it with a new one.

No the ring is out and absolutely mangled. I'll post a picture of it when I get out of work and home.

crazypj said:
Make them get you a hub, I trained as a machinist, good used hub will be cheaper than re-threading and getting a custom retainer made
They didn't drill out the stake marks did they

Them giving me a new hub isn't exactly what I'm hoping for. I have a rear hub for a cb750a (pretty sure it's the same exact hub) it's the spending the money again to get another hub powder coated.

As for drilling it out, no they didn't. They seemed to have put a screw driver in the slot and beat it with a hammer.

According to the professional mechanic and service manager at this shop my ring was "seized" in the hub and the threads "came out" with the ring. I really hate people sometimes.

They should of pointed this out to you when you picked it up....Crappy dealer to do that....

I use a local car shop and when he encounters a situation like that, he calls and asks if I want to proceed or not....

It is just good business to at least tell the guy, "hey, the bearing retainer is seized, if we try any harder, we may damage it, do you want us to try?"

Looking at the marks, it looks like they didn't know to drill out the staked punches that lock it in....

A bunch of maroons.

Shop error, they owe you a replacement. Never take something like that to a stealership, 9 times out of 10 you are going to take it up the ass. Most of the guys who were in the biz when those parts were current are long since retired, dead, or have switched to another shop/brand/field.

Vintage parts tend to be tossed to the wet behind the ears, straight out of MMI so thinks he knows everything but couldn't wrench his way out of a soggy paper bag new hire. And since modern machinery doesn't rely on staking, safety wire, reverse threads, aircraft style self locking nuts, etc... your vintage part is completely outside of the new monkey's "skill set".

Been in the biz off and on for over 25 years. Started when I was 15 at a Hell's Angels shop in my neighborhood. Had to learn repairs, bodywork and painting the "correct, old fashioned/traditional way". Was at a local shop yesterday, had a grand time pointing out all the mistakes their "professionally trained" so called mechanics and customizers were making... Oh, another lifetime ban from the establishment...

Yeah scruffy I can see that now. When I walked into the shop with them the owner was behind the counter and he was telling me how he's currently doing an old Honda cafe racer build project for a customer and how he has five cb750s at home which made me even more comfortable with having my parts serviced there. If only I knew a 19 year old with a hammer and screwdriver would be the one doing it I would of left immediately.

Back
Top Bottom