Is my hub now a paper weight?

The only Honda dealership that I would let touch any of my older stuff is Hinshaw's in Auburn WA, and only because they have a fully restored CL72 (amongst other true treasures) in the open to the public museum loft. Everything else was handled by me or a vintage shop that felt anything made after the points ignition era is an abomination... but they mostly handled American bikes.

How I got the retainer ring back.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371930646751.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371930646751.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 321
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371930659151.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371930659151.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 335
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371930667936.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371930667936.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 290
How could a real mechanic not know to drill out the staked areas.???

You should point this out to them and make them replace the hub.

Sent from planet Earth using mysterious electronic devices and Tapatalk

I have a machine shop near my house that's going to take a look at it first. The shop I took this to is about 2 hours north of me in Hudson valley. So if this machine shop can take care of it it'll have then fix it and forget about this shops existence.

Yeah, that hub is gone. You will need a new hub and for the record, when you drill out the staked areas, it's fairly easy to get the retainer out yourself.

Now, you paid for it. And it does not matter if its 10 or 100 bucks. Its to much anyway, you could have done a monkey job just fine yourself. Go back, explain what went wrong and demand a repair or other solution. its your right.

I bought it to them to take both hubs and the forks apart I didn't have the proper wrench to take out the retainers with the four dimples in it and when I spoke to them on the phone they said they could do it that day. So just having them do it all and give me all the replacement bearings, seals, and retainers was the easiest thing at the time. I really hope this hub can be fixed. It's not them getting me a new one that I'm annoyed about, I'm mad at myself for having this one powder coated and then possibly having to pay to powder coat another one.

quadracer351 said:
I bought it to them to take both hubs and the forks apart I didn't have the proper wrench to take out the retainers with the four dimples in it and when I spoke to them on the phone they said they could do it that day. So just having them do it all and give me all the replacement bearings, seals, and retainers was the easiest thing at the time. I really hope this hub can be fixed. It's not them getting me a new one that I'm annoyed about, I'm mad at myself for having this one powder coated and then possibly having to pay to powder coat another one.

Yeah i feel your pain. I once had a set of spoked wheels powdercoated and when they got back and i laced the front, it was completely gone. Wobbled all over the place. Did not check before powder and had to powder another rim. This was for a customer and it actually costed me some money. Live and learn. I now check every part that goes to powder. ALWAYS.

Well they should have to pay for direct replacement bud. That includes paying to get another hub powder coated for you.

You know what, I own a business. Figure out how much its going to cost for a replacement. Tell them you want the name of their insurance company if they are refusing to replace it for you outside of insurance. That's what it's there for. For screw ups like this. If they refuse, tell them you'll be calling the cops. Basically they vandalized your shit from negligence. If they didn't know HOW TO DO THE JOB, they shouldn't have accepted it. Now they have to come good for their incompetence.

There are basic procedures on how to take that ring out. Looks like they did EVERYTHING wrong.

Not sure if you're aware but you can get another ring pretty cheap at bikebandit.com. Just gotta get those fools to pay for a powder coated hub.

First off, stop making excuses for the shop being incompetent
Tell them you want it fixed,you have real experts who could supply details if they are too dumb to do it

It's their responsibility to return the part in the condition it was received, if that requires paying for new powder coat, so be it.

Re: Re: Is my hub now a paper weight?

crazypj said:
First off, stop making excuses for the shop being incompetent
Tell them you want it fixed,you have real experts who could supply details if they are too dumb to do it

Thanks for the helpful advice.

I've just had back surgery and I'm taking a bunch of 'stuff', but, I am a professional motorcycle mechanic so it pisses me off when shops do shit like this
It's OK not to know, but to give it back screwed up without actually fixing anything is just bad

Re: Re: Is my hub now a paper weight?

crazypj said:
I've just had back surgery and I'm taking a bunch of 'stuff', but, I am a professional motorcycle mechanic so it pisses me off when shops do shit like this
It's OK not to know, but to give it back screwed up without actually fixing anything is just bad

Sorry crazy thought you were calling me dumb lol. If you where you wouldn't be wrong, but this was something I knew I didn't have the proper tools to do and when I spoke to the shop on the phone the owner said he did. Then after meeting the owner and hearing about his cafe build for a customer and his personal history with old cbs I left telling my buddy how it makes me feel better that he has a personal history with this bike and knows what he's doing. I really just want to take this to a local machine shop since this Honda shop is a two hour drive from me and hope they can fix it and just have no further business with this shop. No products, no service, no nothing. What I was hoping from this thread is if this part can even be fixed?

Yes and no.

No - go to the shop that fucked it up. If you plan to do no futher business with them, atleast go fuck em up for a couple hundred! It's your right. You can even get your gas money back. It's not rocket science, just get their insurance-company and it will be fixed pronto. The longer you wait, the more chance you have to not get anyhing back.
They know they fucked it up. I'm very positive of that. You can give them a call and tell whats wrong.
They might just say :"yes we fucked it up, our apprentice blablabla..." -
Then you say "ah ok, how are we going to fix this? i'm in for X amount dollar... "
They: Sure, send the invoice of the powdercoat and a new hub and we will wire the money to you OR
go fuck yourself. That case, torch the place.

Yes - new oversized treads in the hub, new custom lockring - $$$$$
(will cost more then gas for a 2 hour drive.....)

The OEM ring will never ever fit again. The threads are gone in the hub.

Just so I don't look like I dint know what I'm talking about when I get there, what would have been the proper way to remove this retainer ring. I keep seeing people say drilling it. Does that mean that the two indents in the ring where to be drilled out?

There excuse when I called them and spoke to the "mechanic" that did this was that the ring was "seized" in the hub. Pretty much already trying to tell me that it wasn't there fault but rather a defective part. There solution to this was also to bring it in to them so they could file it down and re tap it.

FOS, I don't see where they drilled out the punch marks, and, if they didn't drill out the puch marks it will completely screw up the threads
I would ask how it was done, when they can't (won't tell you, it's about as good as admission of guilt
Next thing would be 'name names' as shop to avoid
I can guarantee they won't have a $350~$400.00 tap to 'fix' that thread, I've been doing this stuff since the 70's and don't have one (plus, I trained as a precision machinist)

What PJ said. Besides, you can't re-tap as there is no more material left to even make threads that will accomodate the OEM retainer ring.

Now, the proper way to take the ring out is as follows;

take a 3 or 4mm drill and drill the punched areas to say 5mm deep, just a little deeper then the punch.
Now, screw out the ring. no biggie.

The punched areas are a locking procedure. At those spots, the thread is 'damaged' on purpose so the ring is locked. Drill out the 'damaged' areas and the ring will come loose. The tool to do so is a cross wich fits in the 4 slots of the ring. I made one from scratch and have done 15+ hubs so far without ANY problem. The ring never put up a fight.

You can clearly see in the pictures you provided that neither the ring nor the hub has marks of a drill bit. Therefor, there is never been drilled and the 'damaged' punch marks fucked all the threads in the fight.

I am 100% confident in this and i am 100% sure this is what happened, even more because i fucked up my first hub exactly the same way as they did.
Now, go tell them bitches you want green.

quadracer351 said:
There excuse when I called them and spoke to the "mechanic" that did this was that the ring was "seized" in the hub. Pretty much already trying to tell me that it wasn't there fault but rather a defective part. There solution to this was also to bring it in to them so they could file it down and re tap it.

As the wheel is already done with, i would take it to the shop and see what they come up with. Let him sweat while you're breathing down his neck. Sucker.

Back
Top Bottom