Putting front brake caliper behind fork?

I still have yet to reassemble the front hub, and would really love to keep a mechanical speedometer and separate tach gauge. Acewell does make a nice multi function one but there are a few things I don't like because there sort of useless to me, left and right turn signal indicator, to get that to work properly I'm assuming I'll have to splice into each signal and wire those to the gauges, second the gas indicator light, third I can't seem to find how a tachometer cable would work with it since its digital it needs a digital Speedo cable and I'll assume i need a digital tachometer cable which I can't find anywhere, finally the price of $$$$$$210. So finally my question is what would I have to do to get the mechanical speedo drive to work?

Thanks again guys.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

quadracer351 said:
My question is what would I have to do to get the mechanical speedo drive to work?

Put the cable between the wheel and speedo? I'm not understanding you. We've already told you you will have to modify some parts. it's easy and will take a few hours if done properly. there's no way around it.

If you're unsure about modding your speedo, i would advice you to go to a metal-shop and let them do it for you. Once again, lots of examples on the internerd. Print em out and show it to a fab-guy. Will set you back couple $10's, but no biggie. Can't do it all youself.

Oh and one other thing, assuming your skillset does not yet meet the level needed to do such mods, is it a smart idea to take your forks apart and mess around with brakes? If you forget something or do it wrong, serious injury or even death is waiting on the corner.....

Front brakes are not to fuck with.

Re: Re: Putting front brake caliper behind fork?

Bert Jan said:
We've already told you you will have to modify some parts. it's easy and will take a few hours if done properly. there's no way around it.

I'm having a hard time picturing what needs to be done to the Speedo to get it to work since the entire front suspension ids still in pieces. I'm thinking what I need to do is open the Speedo up and just find a way to reverse the gear so it spins the opposite way it does now? I've tried looking up how to 's on this forum, sohc, google and never seem to find what I need. I'm also wondering if there are any Hondas out there where the Speedo drive was already on the other side of the wheel? That way I could just swap the gears or the Speedo drive completely. Sorry to be such a pain in the ass I'm sure once this clicks for me it's going to be seem so simple.

Keep it stupid simple.

I'm already registered there I looked but I guess I'll need to try different searches but this is one I found on dtt where he says he's just using a Speedo drive from a 550 unmodified.

It would have to be an early model as the later ones use the stepped version.
I think hub changed in 1973 or 74?

And I believe I've found the modification your all talking about... http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Speedometer-drive-modification-for-duel-discs-td4042801.html

Not the exact how to but it works and shows the step part being removed.
I would probably use 5mm flat head screws and countersink holes so everything is flush

i use a lathe, but a dremel will do the job. An anglegrinder (when used properly) will do the trick also. I also use countersunk bolts and thread the hub. JB weld is not available in our country. Besides if it was, i would not use it. Glue just screams hackjob.

Bert Jan said:
i use a lathe, but a dremel will do the job. An anglegrinder (when used properly) will do the trick also. I also use countersunk bolts and thread the hub. JB weld is not available in our country. Besides if it was, i would not use it. Glue just screams hackjob.

I'm still confused, I was under the impression I had to reverse the gears in the Speedo drive to get it to run backwards. I thought that was the modification everyone was taking about. I'm now thinking what your all talking about is a fitment issue? Judging by the responses to the link it's more a fitment issue? Which makes no sense to me because I was also told I could just use a digital speedometer such as an acewell and all would be fine. Grrr don't understand why I can't grasp something so simple.

Haha goddamn.. Once again then for your slow brain ;)

Originally, the speedo drive is on the right, brake on the left.
Now when you want two disks, the right side has to be modified to make the disk fit. The left side is untouched during the complete process.

Original, there is a large chrome ring retaining the speedo pickup. Due to the disk being fitted, with a smaller ID then the pickup's OD, you will either have to modify the disks ID to make it bigger, or modify the pickups OD to make it smaller. The guy with the dremel did that, as do i.

The left side of the wheel is untouched during the whole process.

Just do it, you'll understand while you're there.

In Dutch, put pictures say a thousand words..

http://cb550.nl/geen-rubriek/tweede-remschijf-honda-cb550/

08.jpg

if you look closely you can see the countersunk screwheads (around 1 and 7 o' clock) and you can clearly see the pick-up OD is machined to fit inside the disk. Get it now? The speedo can be placed like you would do normally and the disk works also. This is the easiest way to do it.

Bert Jan said:
In Dutch, put pictures say a thousand words..

http://cb550.nl/geen-rubriek/tweede-remschijf-honda-cb550/

08.jpg

if you look closely you can see the countersunk screwheads (around 1 and 7 o' clock) and you can clearly see the pick-up OD is machined to fit inside the disk. Get it now? The speedo can be placed like you would do normally and the disk works also. This is the easiest way to do it.

Yes yes I see now. So it was never an issue of the Speedo running backwards but fitment? Being told that I could simply buy a digital gauge confused me.

quadracer351 said:
So it was never an issue of the Speedo running backwards but fitment?

YES! You got it!

Back
Top Bottom