Brake suggestions for girder

Squid

Greetings,

I'm looking to put a 2LS drum brake on a 70's girder front end, and have considered an sl350 (or similar). The mini drum aint cutting it.

Here's some details:
1. Bike is a Triumph 650 with extended 70's girder
2. Need to lace it to a 19" rim.
3. The wheel is a 3.25-19 Avon Speedmaster MKII
4. A pull-though axle set-up might be easiest to get onto the forks
5. The axle will need to be 8.5-9" long.

Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations, etc. greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Squid

CL350, XS650, CB / CL 450 all had 19" front wheels and DLS brakes. The CL350 may have had a WM1 rim but the others were WM2 / 1.85, which will take a 3.25 okay.
You could look at a Sportster full width drum brake - they can be converted to DLS fairly easily (see Victory Motors website for this) and I believe they were mostly 19's but I'm not certain.
Or, go really crazy and run a 4 leading shoe front brake from a Suzuki, but unless you're doing a retro road racer look, might be a bit much - size and weight - for your purposes.
Always liked the girder front ends on a chop, the mini front brakes look cool until you have to stop in a hurry.
Sounds like a great project you're working on.
Pat

A chopped 70's Triumph is probably lighter than a stock CB350 so that brake would be fine. They also used it on CB360's and some of the earlier CB/CM400 (1979~80-ish)

Thank you for the replies.

I'll start hunting for a Honda brake (including the 360 and CM400)
A 4LS would be overkill. Over braking a long front end can be a bad scene.

Thanks again. I greatly appreciate it.

Squid

Squid said:
Thank you for the replies.

I'll start hunting for a Honda brake (including the 360 and CM400)
A 4LS would be overkill. Over braking a long front end can be a bad scene.

Thanks again. I greatly appreciate it.

Squid
i have a 19 off a cl350 available,it needs a lot of cleanup but will be fine in the end it does have the 1.6 i think so you would want to lace up a 1.85

Swapping rims is now more common than it's been in 25 yrs ;D
May even want a 21" on chop?
CB/CL would be able to use XS650 rim, can have it looking good pretty cheap

Hello,
have been awol for a bit but I thank you for the
replies.
I conjured up a complete '71 sl350 19" front wheel
(a 21" would be sweet but the bike was set up with
a 19). Where can I find a new rim and spokes?
The tire is a 3.25-19. I don't need show quality,
just something durable.
Thanks again.
Squid

with a simple bit of machine work that 2ls brake plate can be made to work in the early '72-77 or so)xl250/xl350 21" conical hub wheel ;) these wheels have a nice did alloy rim as well

Ebay is probably cheapest for spokes.
I'm pretty sure XS650 front spokes work and they will be faster delivery.
I haven't had time to try the 19" rim I bought for rear of mine (stock is 18 or 16)
Mikes XS is about the cheapest you can get for decent alloy rims with DOT stamp

Good question: will the xs rim and spokes work?
Anyone here done it before?
The other option is Buchanan's but a greater cost.

Squid

i dont see how xs spokes would work for an sl hub the sl hub is smaller than an xs drum by a lot
you could go by spoke length measure watcha got, maybe xs rear spokes will work ?
maybe that is wat pj refers to...
anyway your sl350 front hub is the same as a cb/cl175 honda

XS rear drum spoke PCD is almost exactly the same as a CB350/360 TLS front drum. It means you can use CB350/360 spokes with 18" rim, CL350 with 19" Rim or XS with 16"/18" rim and CB drum

crazypj said:
XS rear drum spoke PCD is almost exactly the same as a CB350/360 TLS front drum. It means you can use CB350/360 spokes with 18" rim, CL350 with 19" Rim or XS with 16"/18" rim and CB drum

that makes good sense but he has an sl wheel

Weird thing, I had an SL drum a couple of weeks ago and for the life of me can't think what it looks like ::)

Back
Top Bottom