18" or 17" rear CB750 ?

volks_r_us

Hi guys,

I am about to start fixing my first bike ever and I have questions, I could not find any answer searching.
My bike is a CB750 1974 and I need to buy new tires.
I have the choice between 17 and 18" rear wheel and wondering which one will give me the best handling and cornering ability.
Front wheel is a 19"
Knowing that, I will mostly ride tight country roads at speed between 45 and 65 mph what size and brand tires should I buy ?

I dont care about look, I just want this bike to ride and handle as good as possible.

Thanks

as it stand for now

I assume you are talking about a Hondamatic rear? Those are alloy, but 17.

Guys that used to race them ran 18 front and rear.....

Avon road riders are the standard go to tire.
I like Dunlop GT501

These bikes are about balance, doing over or under tire the bike.

Remember that there is more to the handling then just tires.
Think about the system.
Shocks, don't get shitty universal ones from DCC.
Swing arm bearings good?
Steering head bearings too?
Make sure you have a fork brace added.
Don't remove the front fender.
GL1000 fork swap?
Don't go with low bars and stock pegs....

I am not sure where that 17" is from just came with the spare parts. I was under the impression it might came from a 77-78. I also got a 16 but this wont help my case.
Since I don't have the front 18", my best bet is 19 front and 18 back Avon AM26. what would the standard size should be or should I say "best size".

I am gonna give my oem front fork a try with with progressive springs and small preload ones. The old owner had upgraded it Along with the Rear Marzocchi. I wanted to go with Race tech emulators but maybe the current setup is great, I don't know never tried the bike.

Tell me more about the fork brace, where can I get one ?
I am keeping the front fender with the braces
New copper swing arm bushings
New Taper steering head bearing.

I planning to add clubman bars and already have universal rearsets... Installing them is the challenge, Im waiting for my new lowered seat to come in to figure out my most "comfortable" position. Then the welding tabs for somekind of homemade brackets

I want to keep the Stock OEM look like this bike but with rearsets. not that stock but you get the idea

Nice to see someone that wants some well thought out and more importantly functional upgrades

As for tires just get the stock size. Dont go wide.
Check SOHC4.net if you dont have the stock sizes.

Front forks will be fine with the progressive springs.
MikesXS used to sell copies of the race tech inserts for like $40, but you want straight rate springs with inserts....not progressive.

marzocchi shocks are really nice. Used to be the best cheap upgrade around, now they got pricey.
Are they stock length? or better yet one inch longer then stock?

Tarozzi makes a killer 5 piece fork brace for the stock bikes for like $100

why not just get bolt on tarozzi rearsets? or track down a set of raask?
easier and cleaner

Clubmans suck. They never fit right on a CB750.
Most that claim they work have no idea what a proper bike feels like.
The "condor" bars work okay because they are adjustable.

And really even with rearsets they are just low.
Some clip ons with a rise work well.
or just run superbike bars

Re: 18" or 17" rear CB750 ?

Very nice bike ! Looks similar to my set-up. I have a John Tickle rear set, very recommendable with clubmans ! The Avon tyres are doing their job perfectly as wel.
7991dbfa44f064b62697ae4138212453.jpg

a7f20921ecd271e6a7383804ddb357ce.jpg

Took these pictures on a road trip to the belgium ardennes Spa Francorchamps circuit

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

I'd think that regardless of 17 or 18, the OEM tire size probably resulted in a similar overall diameter. So the main difference is likely the amount of sidewall.

Personally if I had the choice between a 17 or 18 rear mated to a 19 front, I'd go 18 every time. Not necessarily for performance (I doubt there would be any real difference) but for looks.

Yup - I said it - for looks :)

There are also exponentially more tire choices for the 18" rather than the 17". Last I looked anyways.

On that note, it might be about time I picked up some fresh rubber....

Nice bike Tetter I love the Excel Wheels is that a Goldwing fork ?

I looked a bit for the fork brace but it doesn't seems to fit the 1974. Its made for the 77-78 or newer.
is there one designed for the K4 I could buy ?

Re: 18" or 17" rear CB750 ?

I haven't found a brace for the K5 which I'm assuming would be the same for the K4.

Back
Top Bottom