white walls tires CB500K

jvandyke

Been Around the Block
Considering white walls, seems, if my notes are right, the stock rear rim is 18", limited choice, is running a front tire on the rear super stupid? wear fast I guess, corner weird? Not as bad a rear on the front, that seems like it'd worse, sorry for noob questions here

Have you considered white wall paint? Then your selection is larger. With the tire paint, your choices of color are wider too....

yes, I was considering and saw some references and some vids, might warrant further investigation

jvandyke said:
is running a front tire on the rear super stupid? wear fast I guess, corner weird? Not as bad a rear on the front, that seems like it'd worse, sorry for noob questions here

if the treads are directional like the AVONs you should avoid it. Front tire tread is made for best traction while "stopping", rear tread has better traction for "going". I imagine a front on the rear may be ok as long as you mount it backwards.

I have an Avon that says front or rear on it. Has an arrow pointing one way for front, one way for rear. Is a 100/90/18 if I remember correctly off the top of my head.

Re: white walls tires CB500K--fronts on rear?

Warnings I've read so far on the issue seems to be aimed at modern bikes. Old bikes front and rear tires are a more similar size and shape vs. newer stuff that is vastly different in width mostly. I can't imagine too many bikes that even have the option of putting a front tire on a rear rim or vice versa. I know some in the cruiser world (a buddy of mine tried it on his Valkyrie) even mount car tires on the rear as they are vastly cheaper and higher mileage. But the profile of a car tire vs. a bike's is so different I can't imagine that being kosher but what do I know. Not sure what I'll do yet. Painting them seems to work best on old tires that have lost all their release agents, putting hours into painting a tire that's lifespan is ending is a little silly. Using "ribbons" or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNit3yqRoMk are an option although not super good long term I guess. Seems to me the best thing is to buy a decent white wall tire and at this point a front running on the rear (on my bike) MAY be an option, pending further research.

Get a good degreaser, wash your tires a few times at a car wash. That'll fix your release problem.

Back
Top Bottom