drop seat kz

Just throwing this out there because it seems you are a Noob who may not be aware or know the term... Ever hear of "Konging a frame" or "Konged frame"?
Might be something to GOOGLE . Named after the style frame mods that "Kong" Wilkey made famous where you can get the look I think you are after and retain a sprung rear end.

I'm not a noob with fabricating but with hardtailing a frame yeah. I've only made 2 hardtails before and both of them were assembled on a table and then welded to the frames. With these kz frames though the designs are alittle different and the tubing is also thin chromoly steel so welding it with a flux core welder takes extra care.
I'll definently google that term.
I know. I can weld it up but I want to make sure that wherever I attach the tubes it will be strong enough since I'm not using a large angle on the tubes.

So I googled it and yeah I have seen that before. Didn't know it was konging a frame though . Ill keep that idea in mind for the next bike but for this one I already have some tubing on the one and a local shop that can bend any angle I need for it . Now I just need to think of a good design and what bends I need. I'm going to be sitting low with forward controls. May or May not make my own springer seat for it like the old bicycles used . One thing at a time though :) Any thoughts on some good angles?? I'll take any hardtail idea into thought.
-Schmeck

Don't get me wrong it is a great idea. And I'm all for any idea that could inspire me to a design .

So I'm going to bend the tubes up tomorrow after I take some measurements. Got the bike of the jacks and put the springer front end on to see how it would look . Here's how it looks right now. I will be cutting and welding tomorrow and maybe get some forward controls welded on . Here's the base

Pic one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    805.2 KB · Views: 281
So decided to raise the hardtail to some better angles so that there isn't so much stress on one joint . Only got one bar welded on . Everyone seems to need help the day you decide to do something . Here is it so far

Not bad for a fluxcore welder huh. Still doesn't look as good as tig but it should hold my heavy a** lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    706.2 KB · Views: 272
It ran okay at the time. Had I shortened the intake it would have ran perfect but as of right now I will probably put the originals back on when all is said and done. Got enough money in the project to be fooling with the intake again lol

Which side? I'm going to get the other top bar welded on in just a few. Can't do the bottoms till a) motor is pulled and b) the local machine shop bends my tubes so that I don't have to run straight tubes.

So.... I like the springer front end and I like the idea of a hardtail on this bike. I'm just not digging the design on the rear you have going there. I do want to see how it gets finished up though.

Yeah the design is alittle far from what I wanted. I was worried about the structural integrity of the top bar if it was damn near flat at the connection . If I was using a tig machine Id be doing all sorts of designs buuuuuuuut I don't. I'll post a picture in a bit when I get the bottoms welded on . Got them at least fitted with the 3/4" rods and I pulled the motor so that I could move the frame around better .

that top tube being bent is the issue, it will be constantly flexing
it should be straight or another added at the bend to tie things together

Back
Top Bottom