Papyrus - My First Yamaha - SR400

Been a long while, finally back at this project. Finished the handlebars and trees yesterday. Will move on to the forks next. In the pics the grips, controls and handlebars are not glued since I'll wait until the rest of the bike is complete so I can be sure they are positioned correctly Just laid in place for the pictures.

Attachments

• steering_1.jpg
    steering_1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 197
  • steering_2.jpg
    steering_2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 174
Frame is 90% complete, what an ordeal. Individual parts weren't hard to make or assemble but found it difficult to get everything straight and lined up. They should have supplied a paper frame jig :)

Here is the assembly diagram for the frame :eek:

Attachments

• frame_1.jpg
    frame_1.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 329
  • frame_2.jpg
    frame_2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 179
This thing is totally awesome Perry, Hope you have a glass cabinate or display case to show it off and keep the dust off when finished. it won't be easy to clean it at all.

HerrDeacon said:
Frame is 90% complete, what an ordeal. Individual parts weren't hard to make or assemble but found it difficult to get everything straight and lined up. They should have supplied a paper frame jig :)

Here is the assembly diagram for the frame :eek:

index.php

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I've been building models since I was kid and but there's no effing way I'd have the patience for that.

Looks great!

Thanks guys. I usually just pick at it while watching a movie or race on the computer. I always feel like I'm wasting my time if I just sit there and watch something, have to be doing something productive. This way I don't feel too bad. I'm also doing a Lotus F1 car as well.

You wouldn't believe how strong the frame is, pretty solid. Next up after I finish the frame are the wheels, these may take a couple of attempts to get right.

theres a computer software which is also called pepakura...i saw it on university,it actually can make these fold patterns out of 3d shapes.

cool tool.

HerrDeacon said:
Yes, I have it on my home computer, its pretty cool software.

i dunno if youre familiar with rhinoceros software...it has the "unfold" possibility....there you can produce even more sick patterns...since this is a really professional software.

That's the first I've heard of Rhinoceros, I'll have to check it out, thanks. I have played around with creating some things in Google Sketch and bringing them into Pepakura. Works pretty good and I think it could be used for creating a base object of some fiberglass parts and such.

rhino is a great tool.is.has an especially good connection between 2D and 3D.
for my new seat i will draw a 2D file of the measured frame of my RD then i will build it 3D in rhino,cut it in sections and laser it out of wood for a perfect fiberglass mold.

That sounds very cool, look forward to seeing how that works out. I was going to do something similar to design a small windscreen for my SFV. I found a 3D model of the Monster screen and was going to tweak it, but never got around to finishing it yet. Post up if you get yours done.

Face palm moment, frame is fubar'd. It seems the left side lower frame tubes are too far in towards the middle of the bike, making it impossible to fit the engine. So pissed now. The frame takes forever to make and now I have to start it all again. Due to the nature of the frame and how its made up of so many small peices, if you are a tiny bit off on everyone then it results in a mess. Hopefully I can make the next one work, if not I'll have to go buy some matches :)

HerrDeacon said:
Face palm moment, frame is fubar'd. It seems the left side lower frame tubes are too far in towards the middle of the bike, making it impossible to fit the engine. So pissed now. The frame takes forever to make and now I have to start it all again. Due to the nature of the frame and how its made up of so many small peices, if you are a tiny bit off on everyone then it results in a mess. Hopefully I can make the next one work, if not I'll have to go buy some matches :)

even picasso had its dull moments...keep up the good stuff

Attachments

• picasso.jpg
    picasso.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 152
Back
Top Bottom