Down under, an idiot and a 400F

The outer spokes should angle clockwise, on either side. It looks like the other side is angled counterclockwise. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I've laced wheels incorrectly. So, I know it can be laced wrong. Reference stock wheels that have not been disassembled.

Otherwise, awesome looking wheels! A little vintage, a little modern --- nice mix!

As long as the valve hole is between sets, (in middle of 'V') the spoke direction won't matter too much (and depends on how rim was drilled
Internet has been down since Monday, still don't have phone line

I suppose you are correct in that sense. If it assembles OK, it might be OK. Me, I just wanted it to at least be assembled the same as the factory. It may have to do with braking in one direction and accelerating in another. Not sure. The first time I laced a set of wheels, I noticed it was laced "backwards" as compared to stock wheels. So, I just re-laced them to look the same. At this point, it won't really take much effort to redo them (if not yet trued). It's practice if anything. If you check my build or website, I used a method to tape the spokes at the "cross" to ease assembly prior to placing the rim and to minimize scratching the rim.

Thanks gents. I have some irregular spoke length at the nipple which makes me think I've got something wrong as they should all be the same I assume.

I will pull it apart tonight on the living room floor with a cold Coopers Pale Ale or 2 ;)

Any other builds on lacing correctly are appreciated as using pics off the Internet is less than ideal.

Do I have the pattern right?

yes you have. trick i use is to screw the nipples just to the point where the spoke tread dissapears. when i've put all spokes in i give all the nipples 1 twist at the time, so 36x 1 turn. do that until they're snug ( no play) don't be smart and twist the first nipple 4 times as it will offset the hub. all spokes 1 turn at a time. when they're snug, do 1/2 turn all the nipples, and then 1/4 until they're thight. check for true now and then and adjust no more than 1/2 twist per nipple at a time.

tedious? yes. satisfaction? fuck yeah!

oh and dont pull the wheel apart, no need to do that. unscrew all nipples to the point where tread on spoke dissapears in nipple and then do as i told above^^^^

crazypj said:
As long as the valve hole is between sets, (in middle of 'V') the spoke direction won't matter too much (and depends on how rim was drilled
Internet has been down since Monday, still don't have phone line

PJ valve hole is at 10.30 on this pic and not in the v but it is in the middle of a set. This is fixed though due to the angle of the nipple holes. Do I have it right?

6E7EAE36-4566-4537-88EF-E0A13CC42342-4553-00000A321AFC5278.jpg

Bert Jan said:
oh and dont pull the wheel apart, no need to do that. unscrew all nipples to the point where tread on spoke dissapears in nipple and then do as i told above^^^^

Cheers Bert. I was only going to pull nipples off if the pattern was wrong but it's hard to get wrong with the hole angles and spoke directions. I was a little puzzled that some of the spokes are not the same length on the nipple. That might be fixed with your tightening technique though.

eyhonda said:
I suppose you are correct in that sense. If it assembles OK, it might be OK. Me, I just wanted it to at least be assembled the same as the factory. It may have to do with braking in one direction and accelerating in another. Not sure. The first time I laced a set of wheels, I noticed it was laced "backwards" as compared to stock wheels. So, I just re-laced them to look the same. At this point, it won't really take much effort to redo them (if not yet trued). It's practice if anything. If you check my build or website, I used a method to tape the spokes at the "cross" to ease assembly prior to placing the rim and to minimize scratching the rim.

eyhonda I will undo and relace with the outers facing backwards. Don't want to lace them up different to stock and it may be causing my funny spoke length issue (you never know)

ducatiboy said:
oohh la la :) :) :)

Look great Neevo

Cheers boss :)

teazer said:
my front looks the same. outers point back and inners point forwards

Most of the pics on the Internet are the same as mine, outer spokes pointing forward. Anyone got a definitive answer on this or does it not really matter?

Got half right. Like I said, the outers on EITHER side are clockwise. Inners are CCW. Flip over and the pattern is the same.

Now, it sorta looks like the wheel in the above pic is opposite if you flip it over. The side you see is pattern correct. Flip it over and (I think), the spokes angle opposite. Meaning outers are CCW and inners are CW. It's just a point to check. Hard to tell unless you flip it and take a pic.

Valve stem should be between the 'open V', 12:00 in pic
If it is, it's all good
OK, I see the 'shiny' bit where valve stem comes through rim
Just checked several wheels, inner spokes one side match outer's on the other side, even on stock wheels

Anyone have bearing numbers for front and rear hubs? Looking to put new ones in both ends as they are cheap insurance. Looked everywhere on the net with no results :(

Stripped the front wheel tonight so I could give the hub a final polish and also see if I could put the outside spokes round the other way. Turns out they are different directions each side:

1CE12E60-EA17-44EA-AD67-7E0635AFA641-570-000000B720E44E3B.jpg

5DC2EA9F-FBEB-4311-80FF-12D21604350D-570-000000B7F6C8271A.jpg

Also managed to catch my local bearing shop before they closed for a pair of these. Will be popping the seals and packing with grease:

8906F197-DB94-4471-B4E3-E0E2214A9766-570-000000B726492B12.jpg

Back
Top Bottom