1948 Harley Hummer 125 Restomod

d20mox

Detroit Hustles Harder
Just finished up my CB360 Cafe and started a new project. It's a little bit older and little bit different but it should be a fun little scoot when all is said and done. It is a 1948 Harley Davidson Model 125 (later dubbed "Hummer" after a successful Harley dealer). Picked her up in Maine via eBay. The bike is fairly complete and the motor turns freely. Someone obviously did a quick repaint and used a much larger sprocket than usual. It was covered in mud so I'm guessing they used it as a dirt bike of sorts. Anyway, here are the photos of when my Dad and I picked it up and right before tear down. I will document the process here so check back.

IMG_7680.jpg

IMG_7677.jpg

IMG_7676.jpg

IMG_7673.jpg

IMG_3039.jpg

IMG_3037.jpg

Very much on board...I love that thing already. What a killer looking bike 8) Can't wait to see what you got planned. I love how low the profile is. Ditch those highway/crash bars and it will already look 1000% better.

Very cool.
I'll be a challenge finding parts. I hope you do as much restoration as possible vs. any modifications.

Thanks everybody. The only modifications we plan on are a paint scheme that wasn't available for the model year but was available later on, a real leather seat, and maybe some internal engine mods since the original was pretty weak. Engine was sent out to be completely rebuilt by someone that does these for a living. I figured we'd leave it up to someone who knew what they were doing with the rebuild and would also do all the machining. Frame will go out to powdercoat shortly. I will try to update as much as possible.

Sidenote: The crash/highway bars are bolt on. I'll probably refinish them anyway for future use if we decide to use them.

One of those popped up on the local craigslist yesterday. It's a few years newer but looks very similair.
http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/2709999146.html

noahdog said:
One of those popped up on the local craigslist yesterday. It's a few years newer but looks very similair.
http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/2709999146.html

That motor looks great. I believe in 1951 they changed to a hydraulic suspension system on the front end of the Hummers. 48-50 used "rubber bands" springer style. Pretty neat setup, can't wait to see how it rides.

Alright everybody, there has been some progress. I apologize for the delay but with the holidays and being out of town, my work schedule has taken a backseat for a few weeks. I have yet to document the aftermath of the teardown of the frame but here is what has been done with the motor. I sent it out to a man in TX that does vintage motorcycles (more specifically Hummers) for a living to do the rebuild. He documents the whole process and sends it back to the customer and now I am going to share the rebuild with you all.

This is when he opened the crate that we built to ship the motor in. Looking pretty sad..

Picture1628.jpg

Unfortunately our packing job was not sufficient and we had a damaged fin. No worries for Charlie but it would end up costing us a pretty penny to fix it.
Picture1631.jpg

Cracked open the motor. The piston in it in this photo was a .040 but it needed to be bored (obviously)
Picture1632.jpg

Here it is being bored to .050
Picture1635.jpg

This motor had an early rod with a 1/2 inch brass bushing (not good for longevity) and wrist pin. The factory never made a .050 piston to fit the original rod but since it was shot anyway he used a rod from a 1951 and newer motor with needle bearings and a larger wrist pin and crank pin. He said he didn't think the bottom end had ever been torn apart but that the owner kept rebuilding the top end. I think this bike used to be used as a makeshift "hillclimber" based on the tires and size of the sprocket.
Picture1637.jpg

The flywheel being disassembled. The rod, rollers and crank pin were way out of spec.
Picture1638.jpg

Here is a shot of how bad the rod sags.
Picture1639.jpg

Two teeth were missing on the kicker gear.
Picture1642.jpg

Charlie welded and reshaped it into working order.
Picture1643.jpg

Here is the flywheel rebuild and reassembled. It is being trued on his special truing stand.
Picture1652.jpg

This is the transmission disassembled, blasted, and cleaned.
Picture1654.jpg

Transmission reinstalled into the blasted case half.
Picture1655.jpg

Crankshaft main bearings and flywheel installed into the left case.
Picture1658.jpg

All of the seal housings were refinished and new seals installed. Cases assembled and sealed.
Picture1660.jpg

New sprocket installed (he said the original was the most worn he had ever seen). Armature also installed.
Picture1661.jpg

He rebuilt the generator. Here it is reinstalled.
Picture1664.jpg

Sidecovers refinished and installed.
Picture1665.jpg

This is the new .050 piston assembly, studs, hardware, and head/base gaskets.
Picture1666.jpg

Piston assembly installed. He even replated the dipstick in this photo
Picture1667.jpg

Cylinder installed and motor being timed with a dial caliper and an ohm meter for true accuracy.
Picture1668.jpg

Starter assembly reinstalled with the completed kicker gear.
Picture1672.jpg

Clutch basket and new primary chain installed.
Picture1673.jpg

Completed assembly. Notice the fixed fin.
Picture1674.jpg

View from the other side.
Picture1675.jpg

Here is the motor as it would be shipped. Charlie hooked me up with a completely restored carb and throttle cable as well as the correct spec spark plug.
Picture1677.jpg

I will try and get some shots up of the disassembled bike. It will go out to powder hopefully sometime this week!

Very Nice! That is some quality work. I love that little carb, it looks sweet. Well now that it looks like you have a killer motor to throw on your bike, you need to get to work with the rest of the bike ;D Loving this build, and thanks for the update.
Where is that gentleman in TX?

Back
Top Bottom