Newbie Squid - Bogging/Power Issue

southernova

Hey Y'all,

Newbie motorcycle squid here! Just got a 1982 CM450E. It seems to putter or kick when it starts to accelerate. Air filter is pretty nice looking (but I'd like to switch to pod filters). I guess my question is: what can I do to keep the bike from bogging down when accelerating and get a little more power? Would it need to be re-jetted or would a set of Mikunis work? Also what exactly would I need size-wise, spec wise to fit my bike?

Attachments

• IMG_2001.JPG
    IMG_2001.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 236
  • IMG_1848.JPG
    IMG_1848.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 234
have you done all the typical tune up and maintenance stuff in the manual, cleaned carbs, tested battery, timing, valves... etc?

Those headers look slightly discolored in the pics.

trek97 said:
have you done all the typical tune up and maintenance stuff in the manual, cleaned carbs, tested battery, timing, valves... etc?

Those headers look slightly discolored in the pics.

+1

Could be any of the things trek97 has mentioned. Give it a thorough tune up so you know you're starting from a proper baseline.

Get the bike running properly stock. Its a whole lot easier to change things when you know you have a proper working bike from the get go. After you make it that far, which can be a challenge in itself, then start changing what ever it is you want.

Its the same principal of taking a bike that wasnt running, stripping it down, spending god knows how much money on it with pods/exhaust/carbs/sprockets/ect, only to find that you cant get the thing to run properly because you never had a baseline position to start from. Work smarter not harder my man! ;D

OH! and to Dualitymike, im part of the 77' candy blue 550f club also :D

Back
Top Bottom