Air filter comparisons

crazypj

Split personality, I fake being smart
Just 'stole' the link from SOHC4.
Comparison of various filters on a Duramax diesel.
It's relevant as it gives flow comparisons and amount of dirt passed into engine.
K&N doesn't come off very well, pretty sure the Chines knock off's will be worse?
The ISO 5011 test is very specific.
http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

Great info!

Make your own decisions, folks, but please try to make them INFORMED decisions...

Interesting.
Do you suppose the K&N media for the DuraMax engine is the same thing being used in the pod filters we pay a pretty penny for?

I'm pretty certain they only use one type for everything, cotton with stainless steel mesh.
A Duramax is going to suck a lot of air (7.5litre?) but 7gm is a lot of dust in 24 mins.
Even if you extrapolate down to motorcycle engine sizes, it's going to wear things out quicker than normal filters
Saying all that, a K&N still better than nothing/open bell mouth

It was not a confidence inspiring comparison for those of us who have been using K&N for no better reason than their reputation.

That's precisely why I want to use an "antipod" type design with the cr26s I have for the new 400f. They've had great success with them on the 550s and 750s on sohc4. I'm sick of mucking around with non unified intake tracts.

Just be sure to make the plenum large enough and it will work better than simple pods.

Back
Top Bottom