1977 Suzuki TS-250

Ease

83 XJ650RK, 77 TS-250
Finally I have a new project!!

Picked up a partially re-built 1977 TS 250 this afternoon.
My plan is to build a street-legal 2-Stroke flat tracker!

I'm trying to find a place to do the work now, hopefully in the parking garage at work... otherwise this sucker is coming into my room in my apartment for a couple of months.

As far as I can tell it only needs the carb cleaned, fork seals, some new gas and inline fuel filter to be put back on the road... Unfortunately the guy put newer dirtbike fenders on it and removed the tach, speedo, taillight and headlight.

Immediate Plans:

- Rebuild carb
- Replace fork seals
- Cut down or replace the existing rear (dirt bike) fender
- Replace handlebars with newer style dirt bike bars
- Install mini speedo and tach
- Install DOT headlight (replaced with a random sealed unit)
- Install DOT taillight for inspection
- Install mirrors for inspection (not sure if this is necessary for a '77 dual-purpose...)

Less Immediate:

- Add a flat tracker seat (also getting a KTM seat that I haven't seen yet so this could change)
- Install dual mini taillights in seat
- Install flushmount indicators in seat
- New controls and levers

Further down the road / when parts become available:

I'll either be having fun with this bike trail riding by now or know if I want it on the road, so either aluminum wheels and modern tires or knobby DOT tires and original or upgraded trail riding rims...

- Aluminum swingarm (disc brakes?)
- Modern dirtbike front end and disc brakes
- Modern dirtbike rims and spokes or aluminum wheels
- Braided stainless brake lines

If there is anyone who knows of a place to get any of the parts mentioned or can help me out in the GTA let me know!

Finally, for anyone who is going to shoot me for modding the bike I'm going to leave this one restore-able. No frame cutting.

I need to track down a stock speedo, tach, front and rear fender, headlight, headlight ears, taillight and taillight mount, indicators, reflectors, re-cover the original seat and paint / decals. Gastank is in good condition but needs a little bodywork.

Cheers,

Day1-Parts3.jpg

Day1-Parts2.jpg

Day1-Parts1.jpg

VonYinzer said:
Oh wow... Thats a project all right! Love those little smokers though. Keep the updates coming!

Nah not much to do really. Mostly cosmetic stuff.
I've never owned a 2-smoke before so I'm pretty pumped.

Oh, does anyone in the GTA have an extra table vice they can give or lend me for a couple of months?

Very cool Evan, looks like it'll be a fun project. I've never owned a 2-stroke either but always have my eye out for one. I'll be following.

HerrDeacon said:
Very cool Evan, looks like it'll be a fun project. I've never owned a 2-stroke either but always have my eye out for one. I'll be following.

Good luck :) Find me one too (hahaha)

Hey Ease, welcome back. I have been checking out the 2 smokes too. Like to make a tracker to rip around on. I see you are still in the GTA. Got to love building bikes right in your bedroom :)

Cheers,

Maritime

Maritime said:
Hey Ease, welcome back. I have been checking out the 2 smokes too. Like to make a tracker to rip around on. I see you are still in the GTA. Got to love building bikes right in your bedroom :)

Yeah buddy that's the plan for this one, rip around at the cabins this summer as a tracker then a possible tear down and street setup.

I hope I don't have to build it in the bedroom, gonna be hard to get it out into the hallway to get it out the front door. Haha.

1977SuzukiTS250SalesBrochurewebsize.jpg

I looked at the specs and assembled this thing is 85" long... That carpet you can see laid out on my bedroom floor was cut to exactly that length and as you can see runs from the TV to just out of frame...

Good thing I have a straight shot out the front door down the hall tho.

The guy who sold it to me rides KTM 2-strokes exclusively and says this bike has a ton of power so I'm really looking forward to getting it on the trails.

Yes, i built my 450 in the basement over the winter then tried to wheel it up the stairs, it wouldn't make the corner and we just ended up putting holes in the drywall. I had to take it apart again, carry it out in pieces then put it back togehter in the driveway. Not fun, lookin gforward to updates.

Cheers

Got some garage space in Port Credit... It's un-heated but nice and big for a single bike. Hopefully it warms up a bit so I can get cracking on this thing.

E-Bay spree today!

Just ordered a NOS headlight and some gold ProTaper handlebars.

I'm going to order up a mini tach and speedo to mount on the bars as soon as I find the right ones... I'm thinking that it's 2240:60 for the Speedo but not sure on the Tach.

Anyone who has knowledge on Suzuki singles want to help me out? It'll be a while before my manual gets here.

Maritime said:
Yes, i built my 450 in the basement over the winter then tried to wheel it up the stairs, it wouldn't make the corner and we just ended up putting holes in the drywall. I had to take it apart again, carry it out in pieces then put it back togehter in the driveway. Not fun, lookin gforward to updates.

Cheers

Maritime, check this seat out. Bolt on GL tracker seat... (Click the Pic)

I'm thinking about getting a seat from these guys, just have to check the frame measurements when I head out to the garage.

Looking at the seats vs. my bike I can see already that I'm going to have to modify it to clear the highpipe... Maybe not...

Compare this photo to the add of the TS-250 above:
RD%20with%20XR%20seat.jpg

Here is the garage space: (note the tiny heater)

3ce8a12a.jpg

d2bdf4eb.jpg

Great bench when I get it cleared away/put a few more things on the bike,

f0e388a2.jpg

I threw on the front end and tank... I'm going to put the bike together as is before I really tear into it so I can see what is missing / if it runs ok...

d0f31966.jpg

Hey ease, yeah I love that seat and if I ever went single seat on the GL it would be top of the list. I scored 2 old dirtbikes last week. Got a DS80 Suzuki and a chinese 50 for my son and I to work on hopefully to ride this summer at the inlaws cottage. yours is Looking good. I wish I had a garage, but the 2 dirtbikes fit down the stairs and are small enough to wheel back out in one piece. I like the tracker style seat for your bike, There are a few diffferent companies that make those so you may find one in the right size.

Maritime said:
I scored 2 old dirtbikes last week. Got a DS80 Suzuki and a chinese 50 for my son and I to work on hopefully to ride this summer at the inlaws cottage.

That's awesome. My dad got me an old Honda 70 for my first bike. Gas in frame, no clutch.

Ordered the seat this weekend. I also threw on the rear wheel and bolted in the motor.

0b9ad9c4.jpg

Then just for fun I threw on the fenders the PO had been running... Not a bad trail bike as is.

e34eb37c.jpg

Finally I decided to clean up the motor a bit by sanding the paint off of the fins.

e744c6b0.jpg

15bf5c47.jpg

I need to pick up a battery and take a look at the carb next so I can fire this thing up before I spend any more cash on it.

:D

8035bba6.jpg

This thing looks great... Hotwing Glass came through in 1 week with my seat/pad and taillight. Taillight came installed, but I have to mount the seat still. Maybe some super strong velcro... (sources??)

I'll have to look around the site and see how some of you guys mounted fiberglass seat pans to your seats. The last seat I did the leather wrapped around the sides and it was stapled on to the underside of the seatpan.

The only non-positive thing I can say about the seat is the edges are a little rough. I'm hoping a little bit of sanding can get them a bit more consistant before paint.

Back
Top Bottom