Love Child, an unholy union of CB400t and XR250r

hyper extended chain resulting in output shaft stress fail possible broke chain gatherer at the case hole.?

Tune-A-Fish said:
hyper extended chain resulting in output shaft stress fail possible broke chain gatherer at the case hole.?
ive seen it, if nothing else it will burn up a chain quick :) makes 'em run kinda hot like

I supported the frame from the ceiling and with the suspension unloaded as far as it can extend.

image_45.jpeg

Here's the worst line I can expect extended, the tension side misses by 3/8, the slack side misses the lower frame by a quarter.

image_44.jpeg

Then I took the top of the shock out of the clevis and let the bike down to the point where the shock would be in coil bind.

image_46.jpeg

Looking at the relation between the pivot and the counter sprocket it actually slackened the chain and the slack side still missed both the swingarm and the frame. I should probably put a rubbing block on the frame anyway in case of chain whip.

image_43.jpeg

After agonizing over my situation for ten to fifteen minutes, I decided three non running projects was one too many for my limited time and resources. I reminded myself that I picked up the XR to see if I could use something off it to help me with the poor choice I had made with trying to use a GSXR shock without its accompanying linkage, resulting in a soft, 80's dirt bike feel.

So without further ado, I back halved my CM to marry it up to my soft, 80's dirt bike monoshock suspension.

image_40.jpeg

image_41.jpeg

At least the linkage and swingarm were made to be together. I do think I will want a stiffer spring when I am all said and done.

I will carry on the build back on the original project thread, thanks for the support!

And, yes, I still realize the fork legs are still swapped left to right.

Well, against the advice of the voices in my head, I have pulled this from it’s resting place and restarted my attempt at a contradiction.

I have decided to use another GSXR front as my rear and add a cush. I am not completely there yet, but this shows where I am going. The cush is my attempt at adapting http://www.cushdrive.com ‘s design to my purpose. To be fair, I should have just bought theirs and adapted it, as I am close to the purchase price with just my materials alone.

The blue part is a printed plastic part for mock up. I am already thinking of changes, as I made the center of my cush and the flanges from stainless, and the sprocket from 7075. Too heavy for me, my next version will be all aluminum, as per the original example.

Here’s where it sits as of this weekend.

Q9kBcCm.jpg

uAEJ9vM.jpg

rmQnHLX.png

9R4nfyj.jpg

hO3QPGU.jpg

That sprocket is huge. You're going to have a crazy short shifter with a top speed under 80mph. Going from a 37T to a 52T is huge jump. With the 6 gears, you'll hit 7k rpm in first gear @ 20mph. If you can get to 60mph, you'll be screaming at over 7200rpm in 6th.

Yeah, it’ll be impractical, it should be able to pull the wheel pretty easily. I have an 18t coming to lessen the stupidity. I am still considering other options for the cush, this design will never get smaller than 45t.
Cheers, Zweihammer

There is a right way to get an 18t 520 for my little burro, and a wrong way.
I like to think this is the right wrong way.
I found 16t 520 all day long, 17t if I wanted to wait a couple weeks to get it from Germany, or I could get an 18t 530 that came stock on an automatic 400 in two days.
Guess which one I chose.
h8HSS9b.jpg

FTf2eVe.jpg

Zip tie master link for the win!
Seriously, though, thought I needed to “lighten” the mag cover, it has to be good for two to four ten thousandths per lap. Almost as good as stickers.
I am working on a skid plate next. Not that I am worried about smashing cases, I want to put the battery and some of the electrickery in the void behind the sump.
wDbrAce.jpg

hsXrxe3.jpg

Made a moto table thing over the weekend to get my projects up off the ground. Should have done it years ago. Made some more progress on the pipes, need to finish the hangers then pull it off to weld the backside and blend it out.
iXGUQfm.jpg

MIpIMKj.jpg

Cheers, Zweihammer

Back
Top Bottom