The Ducati Ebay Special

Re: The Ducati I don't know what to call it

Just a thought but it looks like the bike is running non standard foot rests. Have you checked for play in the gear linkage mechanism? If there's any slop in the linkage then finding neutral will be really tricky. Generally speaking, Ducati gearboxes are on a par with Japanese stuff so if the clutch is OK (sounds like it is now), you're running the right oil and the gear linkage is tightened up then finding neutral shouldn't be a big issue.
If it's a case of there being actual resistance at the gear lever (rather than just dropping straight from first to second) then that might suggest a bent selector fork but I wouldn't panic about that until all the other boxes are ticked! Good luck.

ManxKat said:
Just a thought but it looks like the bike is running non standard foot rests. Have you checked for play in the gear linkage mechanism? If there's any slop in the linkage then finding neutral will be really tricky. Generally speaking, Ducati gearboxes are on a par with Japanese stuff so if the clutch is OK (sounds like it is now), you're running the right oil and the gear linkage is tightened up then finding neutral shouldn't be a big issue.
If it's a case of there being actual resistance at the gear lever (rather than just dropping straight from first to second) then that might suggest a bent selector fork but I wouldn't panic about that until all the other boxes are ticked! Good luck.

If you Google it, actually this seems to be an extremely common complaint. The linkage seemed ok, but I haven't specifically addressed it just yet. Apparently many people find it finicky across many ducati models.

So side work has kicked up a bit since getting a little PR on Bike EXIF, and funds aren't as low as they have been. This makes the possibility of doing what I really want to with the bike more likely come cold weather. I've actually come up with some interesting ideas from working on it. I think the plan would be to first relocate the battery, ecu, fuses, and R/R lower and forward in the frame where the airbox was. This may require buildIng a new wire harness, which with 374,891,796 wires would be extensive work. Id also have to make some kind of semi enclosure so it cant be seen throught the trellis. The benefit is, I would no longer have to have a gas tak with a giant cavity underneath it, so it can dramatically shrink in size and still hold the same amount of fuel. From there I'd chop and modify the frame for a new tail as well. The swingarm mod needs to be cleaned up, and with a bunch of time and a little steel I can easily make it look like the bike came that way. I'd want to do a little something else as well to make it stand apart from other monsters people have built, but that idea hasn't hit me yet

I'd basically be stealing some inspiration from Hazan's bike here, but being I'm 5' 6", I would basically shrink that design. I like the shape of that tank, but I could probably make it lower, and keep the stock seat height. Actually the seat pan would be the same hieght as stock, but I'd strip the padding down so the seat is lower and I can get closer to flat footing the thing.

Attachments

• hazan-motorworks-1.jpg
    hazan-motorworks-1.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 252

jag767 said:
Apparently many people find it finicky …

It looks like Ducati is maintaining the tradition!

My last Ducati was a Darmah in the late 70s it was finicky and then some.

Crazy

i wouldn't expect a 750 clutch to drag. the dry ones can, especially when the hub centre wears or some of the steel plates warp. neither of those issues affect the wet ones.

if it's killing the engine when you put it into gear when cold then it sounds like a plate issue. which again is pretty rare. my 400 does it though (stalls the first time you put it into first for the day, hard to get neutral), and i've got a new pack for it as that's about all you can do.

be careful adjusting the clutch lever screw as it can block the compensating port if you go too far. make sure it squirts fluid up in the reservoir when you pull the lever in. can be useful to pull the pivot bolt and spin it 180 degrees to remove any wear there.

the red key is only used to initiate the procedure to program more black keys. that's it. nice that you have it, but it's no use for anything else. you can get the ecu reflashed to disable the immo, which removes the need to have the crap jammed somewhere.

Well I spoke too soon, Bike must have been warm enough by the time i tried it. I'll bleed the line and see what happens. I was waiting til the header came to order the exhaust materials, but I was able to find online the OD is 35mm, so I ordered all the tubing in stainless and cone engineering 18 inch quieter core mufflers. Total cost 420, and will look /perform way better than the slip on setup for 1200 I saw. Going or run it high up be the seat one on each side. Officially just cleaning things and causing trouble til some orders arrive.

the monster headers are all 40mm od, if that's what you were going off.

brad black said:
the monster headers are all 40mm od, if that's what you were going off.

The 900 is 40 mm, the 600 and 750 are 35 according to what I found. Shit now I have to double check.

After looking again, the 620, 800, and 900 are all 40mm. The 600 and 750 are 35mm.

So I was too late on the tubing order, that'll have to get returned. The 2nd order with the 40mm stuff was placed also. Waiting to hear from dime city on the mufflers to see if I caught them in time, which I think I did. The new headlight will be coming today, but the brackets to mount it won't be here for another week :eek:. I guess i'll get back on a couple of other projects that need to be finished in the mean time. To be continued!

And just like that the headlight and bracket came ahead of schedule. I have to make a bracket for that little bikini fairing but thatll be tomorrows work. Calling the front end done for now. Onto exhaust.

Attachments

• 20170421_214006.jpg
    20170421_214006.jpg
    856 KB · Views: 256
  • 20170421_214156.jpg
    20170421_214156.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 246
  • 20170421_214514.jpg
    20170421_214514.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 253

Heres a better photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20170422_112321_571.jpg
    IMG_20170422_112321_571.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 236

I still have sanding to do but ull get the idea.

Attachments

• 20170422_154240.jpg
    20170422_154240.jpg
    579.1 KB · Views: 242
Re: The Ducati Demon

Need to cut an inch, well 19mm off each bar, but the front is more or less finished for now. Now I impatiently wait for exhaust materials. :D

Attachments

• index-10.jpg
    index-10.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 230

Can someone school me on the effect of uneven exhaust length between the 2 pipes? Routing this thing is going to be an extreme bitch, especially if I have to make it equal length, trying to see how much difference in length can be tuned out so to speak.

I am no expert but I know it has to do with matching exhaust pulses and that there are shorter lengths that will match up with the longer pipe at certain rpm.

jag767 said:
the effect of uneven exhaust length between the 2 pipes?

Very interested to hear what the knowledgeable ones have to say about this!

As I read it, different length pipes would mean each cylinder would have a different power and torque curve.

This would only be a problem if you are trying to extract absolutely maximum horsepower. As the difference in lengths is not likely to be great I can't see that it matters much in the real world.

Crazy

I mean , I could get then equal length, but the left hand pipe is going to look like an anaconda around its prey, and I know that will make the back pressure between the pipes uneven too which us also a bad thing.

99.9% of all vehicles on the street today have unequal length exhaust runners. For what you are doing it won't make a bit of difference.

Back
Top Bottom