82 Honda CM250 Scrambler "foxy lady"

gmoore

Been Around the Block
So, I acquired an old CM250 that was running at the beginning of this year for $200. It is intended to be my ladies ride eventually but I really can't stand the looks of it so I'm going to see if I can take this quite undesirable & less than ideal platform and make it into something kinda cool and a little more interesting. Should be an adventure to say the least...

After I painted it up and got it road ready for last summer.
IMAG0032.jpg

As it sits in the basement, just chopped the seat and pan down.
IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0121.jpg

Re: 82 Honda CM250 Brat Scrambler

Engine painted
IMAG0128.jpg

IMAG0129.jpg

Shock compressor tool from the $50 mod thread
IMAG0130.jpg

Re: 82 Honda CM250 Brat Scrambler *Assembly!!* lots of pics!

I started assembling the bike today.

painted engine, looks almost new/painted in a dusty basement!
IMAG0150.jpg

IMAG0152.jpg

Painted frame with mounted engine.
IMAG0153.jpg

IMAG0156.jpg

IMAG0155.jpg

Knee dents!
IMAG0158.jpg

IMAG0160.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

New tires!
IMAG0162.jpg

IMAG0163.jpg

just had to mock it up a bit, I wanted to see if the lines of the bike were matching what i was seeing in my head, not bad, pretty close. I'm trying to get a nice flat profile for the bike, the psudo harley saggy ass look dosen't do it for me at all, no offense to anyone into that. It's not that I don't enjoy a low slung rear, I mean, I enjoy well designed and executed bobber as much as the next guy, it's just that faux harley thing that I just can't dig, & now without further adieu!
IMAG0170.jpg

IMAG0171.jpg

IMAG0172.jpg

IMAG0173.jpg

I'm going to put a a 2" bloc where the tank mounts near the seat to raise it up & get a more level tank look(I also did that in the pics to see how it would look, I think nice?)

This bike is a Christmas present for my lady so I plan on having it done for her in 2 weeks so satay tuned!

This looks great so far!
Can't beat a $200 motorcycle!
I can't wait to see what comes of it...
CHEERS!

Re: 82 Honda CM250 Brat Scrambler More Updates & Pics

it was a long day today. I got a lot done & I'm now left with a roller. It's really nice when your vision suddenly begins to come into focus. I want to ride it, it looks like its going to be fun as hell!

mounted up the headlight & signals they worked out great!
IMAG0174.jpg

IMAG0175.jpg

IMAG0177.jpg

Painted the wheels
IMAG0180.jpg

BAM! It's a roller!
IMAG0190.jpg

IMAG0187.jpg

IMAG0186.jpg

IMAG0184.jpg

rearview
IMAG0191.jpg

Making a template for the exhaust, I'm going to go buy some raw pipe(since I'm going to wrap them anyhow) and have it bent like the template at a local muffler shop for like 30 bucks, pretty stoked how it's all coming together especially for such a funky platform (essentially a rebel) I'm liking it (whereas I did not before haha).
IMAG0196.jpg

IMAG0195.jpg

I'm thinking of naming the her "Lil' Tiger" as nod to the Triumph flavored inspiration of the build, what do you think?

also thinking of getting a custom vinyl tank decal made. It's a tweaked version of a classic honda tank emblem. I like it but I can't tell if I'm feeling it 100% yet.

Screenshot2011-12-29at85918AM.png

Here are some paint job ideas. The paint will be silver(as opposed to the bare medal in pics) & a nice bright red. I also think I'm going to do a black pinstripe around the red shape.

Screenshot2011-12-29at102000AM.png

Screenshot2011-12-29at102013AM.png

Screenshot2011-12-29at102032AM.png

Screenshot2011-12-29at102044AM.png

Screenshot2011-12-29at101931AM.png

some have some pretty subtle differences.

I think I'm liking this one, at least right now I am lol. I also need to decide which emblem to make, does anyone know of a cheap place to get a vinyl sticker made?

Screenshot2011-12-29at12249PM.png

Screenshot2011-12-29at11829PM.png

So this bike doesn't use the turn signals as running lights in stock harness but the new signals are dual filament and I'd like to use them as running lights. does anyone know how to wire that up? do I just give the running light wire power and then when the flasher is on it would override the running lights? any input would be greatly appreciated.

gmoore said:
So this bike doesn't use the turn signals as running lights in stock harness but the new signals are dual filament and I'd like to use them as running lights. does anyone know how to wire that up? do I just give the running light wire power and then when the flasher is on it would override the running lights? any input would be greatly appreciated.

I am assuming you are talking about the rear signals; assuming that the front signals ARE dual filament, and operate as running lights...

If that's so, it's easy; I did this on my Nighthawk just last year.
Unfortunately, you can't just run power from anywhere; you need to run a pair of wires up the the front of the bike, and actually tie them into the wires that feed the running lights in the front. This is because the running lights in front are tied into the signals, and they automatically shut off when the signal comes on.
If you just tie them into power anywhere, they will work, but they will stay on all the time, even when the signals are flashing, and that will make the signals harder to see; especially in the daytime.
It seems like a pain, but on my Nighthawk it really took about 15 minutes, and wasn't a big deal at all.
Cheers!

Hey thanks Teabowl! I honestly don't remember for sure if the fronts acted running lights when the bike was stock but I don't think so, unless that was common for front signals to be running lights and for the rears to not? I'll have to look into it when I get there.

Priming the tape after bondo, bondo & more bondo for shaping the knee dents. I like how they ended up though!
IMAG0197.jpg

IMAG0198.jpg

Wow, sweet conversion dude! Haha beauty is in the eye....
Can you tell me wich tires you put on? they look cool!

I've owned a bunch of early eighties bikes, (What can I say, they're cheap, and totally un-collectable... so far!) and the turn signals are all set up that way; I think it's a DOT thing, but for the life of me I have never understood why you wouldn't want rear running lights as well as front ones; if anything I'm way more concerned about people NOT seeing me from behind, than being overlooked by someone that I can at least see coming at me...

I've also found it frustrating that almost none of the smaller after-market signals have dual filament bulbs, nor do the LED signals have dual functions. For my Vintage Roadster bike, I went with these. They weren't cheap, but they are great quality, and I'll get running lights both front and rear...

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/drag-specialties-capsule-marker-lights-wdual-filament/part/DS-280173

By the way; I really like your paint schemes, and from the look of your primered tank I'd say you got those knee dents just perfect! It really changes the feel of the almost cruiser-style tank. Great job!

hey thanks guys!

The dual filament thing chaps my ass too, I had to look high and low to find the ones I bought for my other bike. It seems like such a simple thing.

The tires I'm running are Trailwings by Bridgstone. I think the front is a TW26 and the rear is a TW40? They were the closest thing I could get to matching dual sport tires for the bike since it runs an 18" in front and a 16" in the rear, the 16" was the one that was limited.

I found a pinhole leak in the bottom of the tank so I'm giving it some Red Kote. Hopefully I can really start painting it tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom