My Suzi T500 Project *It's Alive Video*

Re: My Suzi T500 Project

Yes and no. By that I mean that they do have some model specific set ups but the head is the same. All that changes are the speedo triggers. Mine came with a speedo lead that was probably 2 feet too long but it was easy to wrap in a small coil to take up the surplus length. It has a stiff shroud over that lead to protect it, so i had to trim that carefully.

I got my tail lamp in, it's brake and tail. I'm not 100% on it but for now it will suffice. I'll most likely put flush mount turn signals on the underside of the tail.

Attachments

• DSCN2415.JPG
    DSCN2415.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 241

Ally tank is going to take a while! Scored this almost mint nissin radial master cylinder off of ebay for $26 been looking for one for ages. Just need some shorty levers and a smaller fluid reservior now.

Also still not sure what to do about all the wires at the front below the lights. I modified a WR250f front number plate to use but didn't like the look with the cutout for the lights. I like it as it is (bare) if the wires could be hidden.

Attachments

• brake mc.JPG
    brake mc.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 225
  • wires.JPG
    wires.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 211

John, that's a pesky problem with all the wires and no headlight nacell to put them into? I would make a light guage sheet metal container to hold them. Perhaps right in line with the head tube and painted black or just under the front of the tank, maybe even on top of the lower triple? Mostly water tight.
Cheers, 50gary

Or a small carbon fiber box to fit below the lights between the fork legs or behind the lights.

I had to do that on mine to hide those connectors. BTW, there are some great waterproof connectors on the market now that look neat and OEM. Molex, Sumitomo and others make them and they are all available on line. I use Eastern Beaver but there are other suppliers around.

Nice score on the master cylinder! 8) Looks a lot like the one on my CB350 project that I took from a ZX636, the only down side is the tight radius on the upper brake line
brake_connection.jpg
;
brake_connection2.jpg
. It makes it a little hard to grab a generic 90 degree hose and button things up!

1969Honda said:
Nice score on the master cylinder! 8) Looks a lot like the one on my CB350 project that I took from a ZX636, the only down side is the tight radius on the upper brake line. It makes it a little hard to grab a generic 90 degree hose and button things up!

Yes, mine is of off a 2006 ZX636 the calipers I think are from a 2003. I was planning to use a brake line from each caliper back to the master instead of the linked line from one caliper to the other. I don't think that I will need a 90* fitting at the master, I think a straight fitting will work then just run mostly parallel to the handlebar and curve down throught the forks.

Time to start on the tank! I worked on the pattern today but for me the this is the worst part of the project, I hate working with wood. The ally fabricating will be fun and the welding will be challenging.

Attachments

• tank pattern.JPG
    tank pattern.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 204
  • tank pattern 2.JPG
    tank pattern 2.JPG
    247.3 KB · Views: 213

a monkey can weld the form work is the hard work. did i mention i love it

Thanks normally welding is no problem but this tank will be aluminum and I will be gas welding it! No tig available which would make it simple.

Many things are "easy" once you know how. T.I.G. welding is one of the things I enjoy in building. However, until you get the hang of it TIG-ing aluminum in thin guages it's not so easy. Too much heat and the alu. is instantly gone and a hole is there, sh!# is a typical response.
John I'd like to be there for the first start up this is a fun build all the way through, hang in there. My projects are on hold due to family illness (not me) so it's vicarious fun watching the work of others.
Cheers, 50gary

50gary said:
Many things are "easy" once you know how. T.I.G. welding is one of the things I enjoy in building. However, until you get the hang of it TIG-ing aluminum in thin guages it's not so easy. Too much heat and the alu. is instantly gone and a hole is there, sh!# is a typical response.
John I'd like to be there for the first start up this is a fun build all the way through, hang in there. My projects are on hold due to family illness (not me) so it's vicarious fun watching the work of others.
Cheers, 50gary
Gary, I've done my share of TIG in the past and for me at least once I get everything set to my liking it's a peice of cake. Not sure if you've tried gas welding ally but it is of course similar to TIG in method, on a scale though for me at least it is 10x more difficult. I've seen guys welding ally with gas like it's nothing but that takes constant practice.
Sorry to hear of the illness of your family member.

Oooo! I've been waiting so long for you to start the tank! I would love to try something like this! Amazing work by the way!

Well I just got back from three weeks in England riding with my dad on his BSA's and various other Brit bikes (pic below). Now on to the tank, got the wooden pattern more or less done so it's time to start on cutting and shaping some alloy finally! I still have to source a cheap flush mount fuel filler cap that I can use in an alloy tank.

Attachments

• Tank p2.jpg
    Tank p2.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 228
  • Tank p1.jpg
    Tank p1.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 214
  • BSA.jpg
    BSA.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 241

Your bike is looking quite modern therefore I would use a bolt in sport bike (ebay) flush cap. Easy, (relatively) no welding on the flat top of the tank?
Cheers, 50gary

Well I am moving forward with the tank. Sides and top ar made and ready for welding. As it sits right now it will have about 20mm removed from the bottom edge of the tank so it will look a bit more streamline than it does right now. First practice weld with the oxy-acetylene also shown.

Attachments

• mock 1.JPG
    mock 1.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 222
  • mock 2.JPG
    mock 2.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 220
  • weld.JPG
    weld.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 206

Your tank is going to be very nice. It's look's as if you're using a slight lap joint. I might have done the filler hole before welding? I've never scratch built an aluminum tank before so I'll pay close attention here. My brother and Dad are with you, they both prefer gas welding. Just this past week (finally) I upgraded my T.I.G. set-up to a water cooled torch, I really like it. The torch is half the physical size and double the amperage. It shouldn't make any difference but the arc seems more stable and easier to start. Happy day, sorry for the thread interruption.
Cheers, 50gary

Back
Top Bottom