Thinking about a modular helmet

krafty

Dyslexics of the World - Untie!
As my winter helmet search progresses I've been leaning towards a modular helmet. While I like the look of the half and 3/4 helmets I've tried (I really like the fit of the Bell Custom 500 as most seem to), I'm worried about my face. Yeah yeah, I know the pros and cons and I'm not really looking to argue about them. I'm fully in the camp of "get what fits and protects you how you see fit". If you want to expose your face to sandpaper, cool.

That being said, I'm leaning towards modular over full-face because of my oddly-shaped head and my stupid glasses. I can't really get contacts and if I were to buy another pair of glasses to fit a full-face, I wouldn't be able to afford the damn helmet. :) Most of the full-face helmets I've tried have either been completely unable to accommodate my glasses or fit so poorly otherwise when my glasses do fit to make me not want to buy them. I have not tried the Gringo as I can't seem to find a Biltwell dealer near me thus far, but I don't know that it is the right helmet for me anyway.

I have not had the chance to try on everything I would like yet - the closest Shoei dealer to me didn't have a Multitec in the right size for me to try, nor have I been able to try a Bell Revolver Evo as the nearest dealer is the local Hawg shop and they only had one in small. My guess is closer to actual springtime I'll find more selection and new models anyway.

So far, the helmet that has fit the nicest and has been the most comfortable to me has been the HJC Sy-Max III. http://hjchelmets.com/hjca/symax3_symax3solid I could do without the Bluetooth crap, but otherwise it seems to be a very nice lid.

Am I crazy for thinking that a modular will offer me anywhere near as close to the same level of face protection as a full-face helmet? The mechanism on the HJC seemed pretty solid to me, but then again, I have no idea how solid it would be at 55mph. I guess if they're no better than a 3/4, maybe I should just get a Custom 500 and a bubble shield.

Anyway, thoughts and comments are welcome, along with any experiences you guys may have had with modular helmets. I appreciate it!

I have a bell revolver evo. This is my first modular and I have always worn full face. The locking mechanism feels pretty solid to me and I think it will hold up in a crash. I like being able to open it up while I am starting my bike or just sitting there and feel like I need more air. It also makes it easier to get on and off because you can pull the sides apart slightly when it is open.

The only downside I have found so far is that it is a little noisier than my old helmet. Though, if you normally wear a 1/2 or 3/4, then it will probably seem downright quiet.

I bought mine from leatherup.com. A lot of places will let you return them if you don't like them.

I don't really know how a modular would accommodate glasses any better than a full-face though.

I wear glasses and have owned a modular helmet. A Nolan n100 if I recall.

I loved it. Means you can leave your glasses on and its nice to open up to fill the bike up at the gas station etc.

Do your homework but I don't think modular helmets are tested as full face and are of course not as strong as a full face lid. 99% of the time it shouldn't be an issue.

But... I switched to an RF1000 a few years back and took a flying leap off my bike at about 40mph and my helmet took a big hit and slide on the left side. I'm confident a modular would have been fine but if I was to buy one again I'd research Snell ratings and see if I could find one tested as a full face if possible.

I now wear an RF1100 and buy fancy German glasses with flexible frames to shove in it.

I too worry about the danger's of a 3/4th helmet. I've tried on a few modular ones, but never seemed to jive with the look/feel/weight.

Nolan N43 is hands down the nicest modular I've ever used.

I've owned 2 modulars. First was a Nolan. It survived my high side 10 years ago better than I did.
My current unit is a Z1R. Replacement parts availability is good. The visor and hinge kit along with
replaceable padding inserts in different sizes. And I wear glasses also.

I wear my glasses full time all the time. I like my HJC CL max 2. easy to get on and off w glasses.
http://hjchelmets.com/hjca/clmax2_clmax2solid

I've had the Symax II, and the wife & I now have the Symax III's (Christmas gift last year). I'm very happy with them. The wife wasn't happy with the chin bar closed (she had a 3/4 previously) for the first 50 miles, then started to enjoy it. They are heavy compared to a 3/4, and bother people with neck problems. If you have an HJC shaped head, they are about the best and have decent prices. I've worn the III for 10 hour days with no discomfort. I seldom wear glasses (wire frames), but occasionally do and the flip front makes it quite nice. We don't have the Chatterbox bluetooth that the helmet is designed for, but I did install Sena units, and they are quite trick. Our primary use right now is on a GL1800 that I commute on, and being able to receive phone calls helps on occasion. When we tour, it is great to be able to speak normally and not have to yell over the wind noise or try to help the wife dance with the wired intercom cord every time we mount or dismount.

Oh yeah, they come with Pinlok visors - GET THE INSERT, you will NOT be disappointed!

"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"

I tried the Symax II, but the one I tried was a tad tight in a few spots that bothered me. The next size up they didn't have, so I'll have to give it another go once the new batches come in. Like I said, the III I tried on fit me like a glove. Head glove? Nevermind...

I had looked at the Nolan helmets but was unsure of where I might be able to find one, but lo-and-behold, one of their brick and mortar dealers is right here in town! I'll have to check them out on one of my days off.

I have this http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nolan-n43e-trilogy-voyage-helmet
and I like it quite a bit. I also have a 3/4 with a bubble and I almost always wear my Nolan for the safety as I am still working out the kinks in the bike. I like that it can be made into a 3/4 and doesn't flip up as I would never wear it like that as it is to bulky.

Back
Top Bottom