And then there were two.. 1976 GT250 Rebuild

I've done the same thing as he's saying with the SAE's, but with a star bit. I've also drilled them out. And I've said fuck it and bought another fork from eBay. LOL

deviant said:
I've done the same thing as he's saying with the SAE's, but with a star bit. I've also drilled them out. And I've said fuck it and bought another fork from eBay. LOL
Haha I didn't have any torx bits on hand, or I would have done that. I hope to avoid the eBay situation if I can!

hurco,
if you got a hold of a few Large torx bits before you drilled it couldn't hurt;that one there sounds stubborn. drilling is the last thing I'd want to do
Did you drain it completely? possibly some old Loctite is jamming the threads,if you heated :) the end of the bolt and then hammered the bit on and gave it a go w/ a ratchet,the heat will melt the Loctite and should release'er.

Torx was a bust as well.... may try to try welding next....

ridesolo said:
I have a bunch of the other kind of Easy Out that goes into the hole rather than around the outside like those do. They are yours to use if you want, brother.

Like I said, I have a bunch of these in all different sizes if you want to try them:

ridesolo said:
Like I said, I have a bunch of these in all different sizes if you want to try them:

I may have to take you up on that soon! Ill text ya in a bit, have a few goodies for you too! Thanks

hurco550 said:
I may have to take you up on that soon! Ill text ya in a bit, have a few goodies for you too! Thanks

No problemo! I didn't tell you about the "helper" I had to use to get the bottom bolt out of one of my fork legs. Once I got the 6mm allen wrench I still couldn't budge it. I looked around for something to slip on to add a bit of leverage and the only thing I could find was the drag bars I used on the 360. Way long and a huge amount of leverage to be sure! I pushed and pushed and when the thing finally broke loose I thought something had broken. Fortunately the second one wasn't as bad!

ridesolo said:
I pushed and pushed and when the thing finally broke loose I thought something had broken. Fortunately the second one wasn't as bad!
I went the opposite way. The first one came right out. It's always easier to blame someone else, but I really do think the head was stripped by a p.o. the seals actually don't look to bad, but at this point I'm committed. I can't just put em back together with the head boogered up....

Got my $50 worth of British crank seals in the mail today.
11f6af0387567cce57c4ccad3b6529e8.jpg

Did a little buffing on the gauges. Seems to be a real issue on these old suzuki bikes especially.

Used one of those magic drill powered buffers
d09e5edf96ec28ad0858ffe6fe21ef6b.jpg

Before

They didn't come out perfect, but better than they were. Left one is after a little deeper buffing.
7d20f5076c808283ee76d976cb0a12c8.jpg

And all put back together
d45c508c8cf46ced96acbf47507972d4.jpg

When you get this done and up for sale (If you can bring yourself to part with it. ::) ) somebody is going to get a sweet little corn popper. You're doing a nice job.

Thanks guys! And nope tuna, ridesolo is gonna let me give some extractors a try. If that doesn't work I will give some voodoo arc magic a try.

hurco550 said:
Thanks guys! And nope tuna, ridesolo is gonna let me give some extractors a try. If that doesn't work I will give some voodoo arc magic a try.

I like voodoo arc magic... small tube two tiny o-rings on tungsten inside tube slide into position and give er the pedal! weld small t handle to now welded tube... yes maybe?

hurco550 said:

Did you try any heat on the bottom allen bolt(last time you gave it a shot) to soften the old Loctite ?

grcamna5 said:
Did you try any heat on the bottom allen bolt(last time you gave it a shot) to soften the old Loctite ?
Yeah I sure did. I actually used heat from the get go on it.

Back
Top Bottom