Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey ( Finished pics ,video, )

Re: Out in a field Build ... The Sock Monkey

First thing thats getting done is the back wheel spaceing to get wheel,chain and room for the caliper to clear the mags.Then a 6 inch 1 1/2 thick round stock milled to center disk to caliper and try to get it as close to the stock look. Thanks for food for thought tho and as for the guy that i got the bike off of well think hes in his late 60s. And i see his brother inlaw about every month so i show him and he tells him all about it. ;D
metalspacer.jpg

Will trade for a ride on the fizzer ;)

Well been messing with a few other bikes lately and now back to the XS . Got my key where i want it and all is good just need to lengthen a few wires. Also got motor back in after wasting time on pulling it for where i thought the key was going to be mounted which didnt work. Also got started on running the wiring harness in the bike i hope for the last time .
Had a problem with the clutch engageing and disengaing and messing with the kicker . But after messing with it for a few weeks think i got that worked out and found that by adding clip ons and lowering them in the trees some had to much slack in the cable . So my fix was to add a half inch nylon spacer and it did the trick. Took a few trys to get it right but clutch is working smooth now and so is the kicker .....
adjust.jpg

Well, I just spent the last 1 1/2 hours reading this thread from beginning to end. I really shouldn't have taken the time, on a day when I'm up to my &%$# in work to do... but... WOW!! Once I started I just couldn't stop myself!! :eek: 8)

Bravo!! 8) Bravo!! 8) Well done... very well done Sir! 8)

Can't wait to see this beauty in person some day! :-*

Drewski this thing is super nice in person. Scott did everything to the top level of fit and finish I just wish when we saw it it was running and riding, but that is a reason to go back and see it next year ;D

:)
Thank you guys very much for the kind words ! I really wanted to have it ready for MO this year but i wanted it right so didnt make it . But come next year it WILL be there for the DTT in thunder vally meeting i promise !!!!

Gonna hold ya to that Scott!! :D

Deal !!!! :)

So tonights plan was to work on running the wiring harness and hide what i can which its more clean then hidden. First time i have ever tried anything like this so im sure it will change some as i go . It looks like a crazy person was running amuck with the wiring but i know where everything is ::) Had to move the key and only place i found with out to much modding was right above the pods . You can see the back of it in one of the wiring pics . Nice thing about lifting the back of the tank about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch gave placeing the key in a nice spot i think ....
LS211.jpg

LS29.jpg

Im keeping everything tagged just in case i miss something and once i feel its all right and working will detag it and do small clean up !

Wow, man, seeing your wiring reminds me how bad I need to get on that myself....

Captain Morgan Black and Sprite helps alot :p Thanks guys for helping out ( You Know who you are LOL )

Lol that could be my problem... All I've got at home is Absynth and strawberry rhubarb soda... Lol.

Really amazing work. The before pics are some of the worst I've seen. Looked like a retirement home for field mice.

jakeZ70 said:
Really amazing work. The before pics are some of the worst I've seen. Looked like a retirement home for field mice.

Ya, agreed! :)

When I see a project like this, I sometimes wonder if... knowing what you know now... would you do it again?! :eek:

I've sworn off beaters that don't run when I buy 'em!! ;D (unless they're just for parts!)

Think i would say NO i wouldnt do it again ( I say that now tho ) but on the other hand i really am glad im doing it . Ive learn alot about what to do and what not to do along the way and has been well worth the time ,money,learning lessons!!! When i started i thought how hard can it be and learned real qick how hard it is and the time it takes.
When i got the bike i had some ideas on what i thought would look good but along the way found out that cool ideas dont always work well . And somethings i wouldnt give on and wanted it that way so i made it that way and worked out on most of it . I could of cut alot of corners and said fuck it but i would go nuts if i did i just cant leave things half done and be ok with it .
I was close ( i thought ) to being done with it till MO ! Well after the guys Mike,Von,Bradj,justin,matt looked it over and told me how nice of work i was doing but needed lil of this and maybe that . Like rear sets ,lil taller shocks all things i was going to do down the road . I thought to myself why not do it now as im waiting on spacers to be made for the wheels ! Which im very happy i did !!!!!!
So yea glad im doing it and think everyone should at least once in there life !!! ;)

I agree Scott! Everyone should do one! One might be the limit for most, but it will be worth it for the education you'll receive! 8)

Well spent most of the day working on the wiring and rear-sets. As for the wiring everything is done but the front and rear brake wires. Im not sure how to wire them ,im using a modern front brake with the lil 2 wire trigger and a 2 wire rear pressure tigger. Can anyone help as to what these hook into to get them to work ?

As for the rear set i made im just messing with a few ideas as im not sure what im thinking i can do or not ! ( THESE ARE PROTOTYPES ) and im just seeing what i MIGHT beable to do !!!!
Let me know what you guys think : Top bolt would be off the swingarm pivot as a mount , would need to get a bolt or have one made 1 1/2 inchs longer to let 1/2 spacers off of the frame . And on bottom theres a thick brace right infront of the yamaha tuning forks that i can mount bottom to .
As im thinking this is perfect placing im wondering if haveing a longer swingarm bolt will mess with things ?
Again THIS IS NOT DONE OR MOUNTED JUST A IDEA AND PROTOYPE !!!!
feet6.jpg

feet4.png

feet9.jpg

That mounting spot would definitely work. Are they in a comfortable position?

Back
Top Bottom