Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey ( Finished pics ,video, )

Re: Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey

So what happened with this bike this morning? Sadly, I snuck out before finding out.....

Big Rich said:
So what happened with this bike this morning? Sadly, I snuck out before finding out.....
Sock Monkey's wires looked awfully noodley and there were a lot of parts on the floor, that's what.
:)

Lil blurry but we ended up disconnecting the Electronic ignition and putting points set up just to test the unit and found that one of the coils turned to lava ! Would really like to thanks Rich,Brad,jordon and jamie for all the help ! Looking for new coils now and seemed when the coil cooled down it worked fine then once hot would do what ever it wanted . So that's what keep the carbs from getting dialed in right .

Bad coil? Bastards...... That does explain a lot though.

I enjoyed helping - no need to thank me. Besides, Brad is the carb guru. Wish we had more time to get it straightened out for ya.

Well you guys did help figure a few bugs out tho its a better start now I'm thinking !

Looked over coils and thinking if not stock ones go with something like this ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynatek-Miniature-3-ohm-Single-Output-Coils-PAIR-DC3-2-/171072270389?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d4b3b035&vxp=mtr

Scott, are the stock coils 3 ohm or 5 ohm? If they are 5, there are a ton of factory coils that could be wired in to work (I have coils from a......you guessed it...... GS500 on my 450).

From what ive read stock ones are 3 ohms but thanks for the offer rich ! Guess if I'm going to replace them now would be a good time to up grade then right ?

Besides, Brad is the carb guru.
[/quote] no sugar you hang up first

Rich your waaaaayyyy better with carbs than i am i was to wrapped up in breaking a rd case :mad:

Nope, I'm a better bullshitter. I'll be sure to direct all questions about carbs to you via pm. :)

DreadRock said:
Lil blurry but we ended up disconnecting the Electronic ignition and putting points set up just to test the unit and found that one of the coils turned to lava ! Would really like to thanks Rich,Brad,jordon and jamie for all the help ! Looking for new coils now and seemed when the coil cooled down it worked fine then once hot would do what ever it wanted . So that's what keep the carbs from getting dialed in right .

Had the coil do that on my bike. It was fine when cold but would act up when it got a load on it. Tricky little bastards.

Get it running right so you can get some more votes for BOTM !

stock coils are 4 ohm sir...

The coils are not unique to the 500, nearly every Yamaha in the 70's used the same part # so they are easy to find

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/yamaha/YP-254-82310-60-00.html

Also responded to you on the XS500 forum :D

DeanJ said:
Get it running right so you can get some more votes for BOTM !

stock coils are 4 ohm sir...

The coils are not unique to the 500, nearly every Yamaha in the 70's used the same part # so they are easy to find

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/yamaha/YP-254-82310-60-00.html

Also responded to you on the XS500 forum :D

Yea thank you for the info I thought so just wasn't sure ! Think MikesXS has them lil cheaper so need to get on it this week. As for the BOTM if it wins cool if not cool can understand mines not 100% but close and the other two are which I do wish the best of luck to all !

New coils are on there way lets hope I can get them befor the 31st of this month and the Monkey up and running again !

And on a side note Rich shouldn't the handle bars be turned around ?

Scott, if all goes well are we going to see the Monkey at Cleveland Mods vs Rockers?

Would like it to be if able to , its in Aug right ?

Back
Top Bottom