Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey ( Finished pics ,video, )

Re: Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey ( Finished pics and video )

Fire up the bike and check voltage coming off the stator throughout the rev range.

You should dump those points and get a nice electronic ing

bradj said:
You should dump those points and get a nice electronic ing

HA ! Next thing youll tell me is sell those Yams and Get a Honda because you meet nicer people on them LOL

VonYinzer said:
Fire up the bike and check voltage coming off the stator throughout the rev range.

Thanks mike will give it a go !

Started to look over my Elec parts to see where the problem is and after letting the battery sit and charge wanted to start there. I checked the battery with a meter and it read 14.6 with key off and seemed high ? Thought it should read around 12 with nothing on and and drop a lil when started to 11 then back up to 14 with revs ? I only did they battery test and still need to start to check where it reads on start up and on revs . But was wondering if im reading it wrong at 14.6 ????

Re: Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey ( Finished pics ,video,BUGS )

Let it settle after it gets off the charge to let it dissipate the surface charge.
You should be seeing 12.6+
When its running it should be above 12 all the time, and depending on your regulator between 13 and 15 when you rev it out.

Re: Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey ( Finished pics ,video,BUGS )

SONICJK said:
Let it settle after it gets off the charge to let it dissipate the surface charge.
You should be seeing 12.6+
When its running it should be above 12 all the time, and depending on your regulator between 13 and 15 when you rev it out.

Just ran thru this lay out and just to be sure I'm on this right I should have the meter set on : VDC 200 correct ?
If so was are 12+ on a cold battery , droped some on start up then 12.9 to 13.2 on idle , and 12 to 14,15 at around 3 to 4 grand ! It stayed that way the full time . So I guess I should ask could it be my R/R getting to hot ?

Sounds like the R/R is working correctly. The voltages you listed are in the correct range for idle and revving.
There is a chance that the R/R is not operating correctly once it gets hot or you could have some kind of current drain while the bike is running that is sapping the battery.

Yea John was thinking same thing ! Will mess with it lil more over the weekend ! Thanks for your help guys !

Looked over the wiring and found a loose wire and it did seem to fix the problem ! Bikes been running strong over the last week or so and am very Happy with it now minus a few small things like the sprocket but can live with it till winter rolls in ! Plan now is to enjoy the ride till winter rolls in and change sprocket and rewire the whole bike to clean up and do it right !

Hurray Scott, sounds good.

If only all fixes were so easy......

Congrats Scott!

Sounds like a group ride is in order!

Yep sounds like it Matt ! Problem for me is I work on Sats and seems to be the best day for most others ! Will try to work something out hopefully befor winter LOL

Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride is on a Sunday (9/29)! Meet-up for ours is pretty central- right off 77 on the south side. There's also a show out at Wiseco in Mentor this upcoming Sunday, 9/21. You should enter the 500, you would probably do very well. I think there's going to be a bunch of us riding out to it. Either way, definitely need to do a fall meet-n-greet ride. The season, such as it was, is almost over!

Well Spring is springing ( LOL ) here in ohio so the 500 is back on the stand ! Need to do a few small things but over all cant wait to get it out on the road for a full summer of fun !

Im looking for a new or in good shape RD400 rear sprocket think I have a 37T now and think I need something around 42T ! Anyone out there have one hang on the wall and don't need it let me know please ! Besides that just need to replace a few bolts I don't like and just do a look over !

BRING ON THE SUMMER !!!!!!!!!

Hey Scott, stock standard US spec RD400 is a 38T ... the stock US spec XS500 is a 42T

you might want to post a "wanted " over at the XS forum or check with Jimmer .. somebody is sure to have a new stock rear sprocket.

( btw, it's always a good idea to replace both sprockets and chain all at the same time if you can.. fyi )

yea Dean that was my next place to go and I agree on changing everything at once . But the chain , front sprocket, and rear where all new and only have a few miles on it from the fall ! I needed a starting spot so I put a stock XS on the front and a Stock RD on the rear as the rear is a RD wheel . Once I got it out on the road it became clear the rear was to small as I had 0 get up from a stop but had all kinds of top end . LOL great for the salt flats maybe but not for every day use !

Ha ! yeah, the 42T will then feel like you can do a 3 sec 0-60 after having run that little sprocket ;D !

sounds like you just need the rear then, should be easy enough to find.

Well the weather cleared up and warmed up so took day off work to work around the house ( on bikes ) ! Took the 500 out to mess with and hooked up the GoPro to see whats going on . For some reason ( im a computer dumbass ) but cant get the video up still learning this thing LOL But took this video of the speedo from the video , yea its a shity pic but again ^^^^^^^^^ ! Its getting there but still not perfect and I wont stop till it is !!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom