Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey ( Finished pics ,video, )

Use the GoPro editing software. It's not the greatest for editing but it's the easiest for getting the video on your computer in a readable format. They it will allow for export to YouTube, Vimeo, HD, etc formats. Then you simply upload to youtube then post the link here.

YouTube takes awhile to process the HD so that's the only pain... Looking forward to seeing some video.

Keep at it, brother!

What's it doing at your top speed? I'm curious as to why it topped out so early....

Didn't really top out I ran out of room ;D Which turned into a good thing because as soon as I droped down to 55 because of a car a copper passes by LOL if I figure out editing the video I put it up .

As for whats it doing it still is bad at 1/4 open . Seems to idle fine then at 1/4 open it gets boggie and if you can get it passed 1/4 seems fine . Also seemed to have picked up a air leak bike was coming down off throttle slow ? but think I got that fixed after I looked over cable to make sure was running smoothbut ended up finding it around the intakes .

Settings now : main 145
pilot 30
needle clip bottom
air screw 3/4 out

Floats have been measured and timing is right ,no air leaks , good gas , valves set , good plugs so sooner or later ill get it !!

It sounds like your main might be too big. That sudden surge of fuel might be too much. I had a 120 in mine initially and it ran great. Bumped up to 135. A tad rich but I feel more comfortable with being richer over leaner. But I would say anything higher I would be running into your same situation.

Funny you say that because sense I started messing with them every time I change something I write it down . Looking back at my notes the closes set up I had was :

main 120
pilot 30
needle 4th down from top
air screw 1/2 out

With that setting it ran the best but was missing something still . I hate just jumping back to it but from what you say the 120s seem to do the trick ! Could you post up your setting on your carbs when you can ?

I have something not too far off.

135 Main

50 slow

1 turn out

4th needle clip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ted was looking over your build and are those carb settings for the stock carbs or VMs ?

As for the GoPro I've tried to use the there editing . I can pull the video on it , convert it but not edit it ? Seen alot of people are have same problem just can't figure it out . Might be me or my Computer not sure LOL

I see might be lil diff with VMs but they seem close going to mess with them later today !

Yeah. Same engine. So might as well experiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well got the 500 out and really good from bottom to top so carbs are staying were there at !
Main 140
Pilot. 35
Needle 4 down from top
A/S 1/4 out

But when I took it out ran about 10 miles or so and just lost power . Pulled over and would not turn over and had no headlight ! So I need to figure that out :mad:

Maybe you coil is overheating itself or something electrical is getting to hot. That's the only other thing I can think of. You using right amp fuse?

How well is it regulating the charge at higher rpm's? Thinking maybe the headlight bulb got too much voltage and burnt up.....

But that's good news about the jetting!

SrgtBear said:
Maybe you coil is overheating itself or something electrical is getting to hot. That's the only other thing I can think of. You using right amp fuse?

Coils are new and the fuse is a 20amp so im not sure that's it . Wondering if its the battery its self ? it will charge but not charge when running the bike ?

Big Rich said:
How well is it regulating the charge at higher rpm's? Thinking maybe the headlight bulb got too much voltage and burnt up.....

But that's good news about the jetting!

Not sure rich on the rpms .
its acting like the bike is just running on the battery cause was running fine then starts running rough then dies and wont restart . turn the key and head light is very dim and bike wont turn over . Go home throw charger on it and it fires right up . In the next day or so will get out with a volt meter and see what I can find !

JustinLonghorn said:
So close.

Mid O is just around the corner.

Yea lets hope I get it fixed !

Here's what I'm thinking Scotty: your R/R is burnt up causing excessive voltage which burns up the headlight bulb. And that excessive voltage heading back to the stator can burn it up as well, so the bike just runs for an hour or so off the battery.

Just something to think about!

That would make sense Rich :eek: I pick up the R/R used and will give it looking over first thing !

Big Rich said:
Here's what I'm thinking Scotty: your R/R is burnt up causing excessive voltage which burns up the headlight bulb. And that excessive voltage heading back to the stator can burn it up as well, so the bike just runs for an hour or so off the battery.

Just something to think about!

+1

Back
Top Bottom