1979 Moto Guzzi V50 II Cafe

Re: Moto Guzzi V50 II Cafe Build **(MOCK-UP BEGINS!)**

Dale, I like this bike more every time I look at it. Red is a great color for Italian machinery especially if you throw in a white and green stripe or two. Nice work ;) ;) ;) .......

Red, keep it red, very nice. This will be a beauty when finished for sure.

Thanks again guys! :)

Yup, red is *very* Italian!

Oh wow, I like this. Well done so far, Dale.

Dammit, am I the only proponent of the unique (and incredible) paint scheme shown in your sig?!

Ludicrous!

It always surprises me how well (and easily) some parts clean up. The metal filings are from something else - can't remember what! :)

exhaust_05.jpg

Stainless Steel fasteners.

This is a little trick my dad taught me. Nothing new to most of you guys, I'm sure, but its cool anyways I think. With this build, I've been replacing all the nuts and bolts with stainless. - Cap screws where I can. The markings on the bolts don’t look great, and in order to make them look authentic, the markings are removed and then the bolt is polished up. This is easily achieved by placing your bolt in a drill press and then placing a file on the bolt head face. Thereafter a piece of medium, and then fine sandpaper - and then finally polish in a handful of cloth. It also makes the bolts match up visually with the bolts you can't replace.

Stainless_bolts.jpg

Stainless_bolts_02.jpg

@.jordan> The seat will be based mostly on my initial rendered mockup on the first page of this build thread. I plan to make it from a 5mm aluminium base plate with a compartment under the seat which will house the electrical components that were originally housed behind the side covers etc. The cowl will follow the profile of the rear portion of the tank, as per the rear shot of the bike posted earlier. I plan to follow the tank profile in the actual seat as well. The cowl will be made from fiberglass and then covered in black leather / vinyl along with the rest of the seat (whichever material looks more appropriate). The cowl will hold both the rear light, indicators and license plate bracket.

Right. So here's some photoshop mockups of the bike in black. I think I'm going with a simple paint scheme with no fancy stuff.

Played with the idea of the two-tone black and gray tank, but although it looks pretty interesting on the three-quarter rear angle in the original mockups, it doesn't really translate that well on the actual tank.

The red seems well in place, and holds true to the Italian flair, but the black gives the bike a monochrome look that I really like, and well, who doesn't like a black bike?

I'm still not 100% percent sure though, but I think it's come down to these two options...

DaleBest_V50_sidefront_black.jpg

DaleBest_V50_top_black.jpg

DaleBest_V50_topside_black.jpg

And in the right corner...

DaleBest_V50_sidefront_red.jpg

DaleBest_V50_top_red.jpg

DaleBest_V50_topside_red.jpg

For me the Italian bike needs to be red. Just does it for me, whenever I drool over a Guzzi or a Duc, it always seems to be a red one.

+1 on the red, and I vote to extend it onto the headlight bucket as well.

But it's YOUR bike 1st.

Thanks for sharing!

Maybe you could do a black and red color scheme? Just a thought. I like 'em both!

OK... that does it... I am officially looking for a Guzzi project!!!

Hoosier Daddy said:
OK... that does it... I am officially looking for a Guzzi project!!!

Awesome! We could do with the company... Not too many Guzzi's here...

Thanks to the rest of you guys so far for the color input... :)

Dale

if i can ever finish my CB550F, a Guzzi will be next. After reading your build and an article in some british bike mag, I am hooked.

As far as colour goes. Red seems right, nothing risky or different about it. Looks clean, and proper. That being said, you do not see many black guzzis and it would set you apart from some other nice projects. To counter myself, again, red shows off the tank lines better.......

I think you should put an R on one side of a coin and a B on the other. Flip the coin, and before you look, ask yourself what you are hoping for. lol.

either way, you win!

Dale, I really like the red and the black looks nice also. You could take a hint from Harley's VR1000 and paint half red and half black with a gold or silver stripe down the middle with black pinstripes on the red side and red pinstripes on the black side...... of course it is your decision. Whatever you decide it is going to be a killer bike.....

The red is pretty. But black is tough. Guzzi owners are tough. Don't get sucked into the Italian flair thing. My vote is for black and only black. Besides it will attract the right kind of girl. Very cool project. I have looked for one myself though the years.

two wheels of hell said:
Don't get sucked into the Italian flair thing.
My vote is for black and only black.

Besides it will attract the right kind of girl.

You Sir, are the voice of reason!
Made my day, I guess I'm hanging in the wrong circles, coz none of the girls I know give a shit about bikes. Need to change that maybe! :)) WISDOM!!! :D

So to recap the imput so far (and I do value the input - so thanks a hellavalot for taking the time! )

Maritime RED (1)
Bozz RED (2)
Rossicle RED AND BLACK (1)
13thenewblack13 BLACK (1)
johnnynogood RED (3) / BLACK (2)
dewjantim RED (4) / RED AND BLACK (2)
two wheels of hell BLACK (3)
Yesimivan BLACK AND GREY (1)
My buddy Rhett BLACK AND GREY (2)
My buddy Rudi BLACK (4)

Total so far:
RED 4
BLACK 4
RED AND BLACK 2
RED AND GREY 2

Dale

Red all the way, its like the red ferrari vs the black one type deal.

Back
Top Bottom