Re: XL350R Tracker - Finished and For Sale!

XL350R Tracker

Hi Stout. Here in Australia we have a chain called Clark Rubber. It's exactly like the blue camping mat foam but they had it about 50mm thick. The piece I bought cost $50 - I've got a bit left over though.

I had to glue pieces together to get the mass right at the front. I got some foam spray glue from a craft store and I was really surprised how successful that part was.

Cheers
Julian

Re: XL350R Tracker

cool... that sounds like it should be dense enough for a nice seat. ~stout

progress! work has gotten in the way a bit, but this weekend finally got a couple of things done. i made some brackets out of steel sheet and mounted my head and tail lights. they're both just cheapies off ebay, but i'm really happy with how they look.

i also had a nice suprise when the new ignition i bought slotted perfectly into the old ignition hole.

let me know what you think. sorry about the crappy pics.

photo.JPG

photo%20(1).JPG

photo%20(2).JPG

photo%20(3).JPG

photo%20(4).JPG

photo%20(4).JPG

photo%20(5).JPG

Nice work, seems to be coming together very well, ignition fitment looks a treat. Have you decided on wheels yet ?

cheers. still deciding on the wheels. if nothing comes up i'll bite the bullet and get some brand new 18 or 19 inchers laced up to my rims.

Hello all, a little progress this weekend. I got my seat covered. It took quite a lot of effort and time - pulling and heating and tugging and stapling and heating - to get it right. But I'm happy with the results.

Pictures!

xl350r_%20016.jpg

xl350r_%20020.jpg

xl350r_%20027.jpg

Another small step, good things take time right? Once I've got the indicators mounted, sorted the electrics, and re-made my head and tail light brackets (they're not quite right yet) I can start taking it all to bits again for blasting and painting.

Actually there is one more thing - a rear guard. Not sure what to do there, how necessary are they? I'm not even sure if they're required here in Australia.

Cheers
Julian

About your rear guard, I wouldn't think you need one but you might get alot of dirt and such chucked under your seat and possibly a bit forward....

Yeah that's what I figured. Just not sure if I should worry about it, I can just clean if off right? or do you think it can cause problems with things like the air filters...

On my XV 250 the PO had treated it like crap and let the fender rust through over the years. The result was part of the swing arm had started to seriously rust. So I would do something about it... but thats just me :)

You want a rear guard for sure. Not having one, especially with those knobby tires, will be bad. Youll have mud/dirt/rocks/etc everywhere. A nice easy way to do it would be to find a plastic MX fender and attach it directly to your swingarm. All you need are some "L" brackets welded to the frame and a couple bolts through the fender. Paint it flat black and you'll barely be able to see it.

Hello Everyone

Little bits of progress, I ended up buying a cheap arc welder and teaching myself to weld. Yes, my welds look pretty shite, but I've learnt to weld a bit and grind a bit, then weld a bit and grind some more. Eventually I get pretty good results I reckon.

I've removed one horizontal brace and added two more. The one at the rear looks a bit blunt, but once I've mounted the tail light again it will make more sense.

xl350r_%20002.jpg

temporary paint and mount the seat:

xl350r_%20005.jpg

And finally, why you should wear gloves when you're grinding. I reckon I'd be a couple of fingers lighter if I wasn't!

xl350r_%20007.jpg

Cheers
Julian

Yep, looking good, I like this bike design. Looks like a great commuter/hooligan/backroads kind of bike ;D

Lucky thing with those gloves hey? ;)

Looks great there, bet you can't wait to finish it and just ride it hmm?

Hey HK_Sailor, yep, can't wait to ride it. At this rate that might be a while away yet though. I can be patient.

This is the exhaust I've got - just took it off while I worked on the frame:

xl350r_%20027.jpg

Does the HK in your name stand for Hong Kong? I've spent quite a lot of time there.

Ahh! ok so what I saw in the other photos was just the header, why don't you get/make replacement ones to clean up the look a bit?

Yea the HK in my name refers to Hong Kong. Born and raised here and proud of it :)

Back
Top Bottom