81 KZ440 Cafe

Spitfire151

Been Around the Block
Okay, first of all, HI ALL! I've been lurking for a long time but finally just registered as I picked up my first bike in June of this year (I'm a new rider as well). Picked this up for $900 from craigslist. The video pretty much outlines most everything about the bike but I do have a few questions after you watch it and look at my pics to know what I'm talking about. Also ignore the way the muffler sounds, my phone didn't record how it truly sounds.

-1981 KZ440 Video-

Okay so right now I'm figuring out how to get this title business accomplished (I did a check and mailed the owner, sadly it was returned, but it is not reported stolen and has no liens).

Secondly, is it unsafe to have so much of my forks poking through my triple tree?

Also I took the stock idiot light bar I bought online and turned it into this (using magnets to hold it to the bolts of the Speedo/Tac panel that was bolted onto the headlight:

2012-07-02_20-19-32_963.jpg

2012-07-02_18-21-00_728.jpg

2012-07-01_20-36-54_801.jpg

2012-07-02_18-20-53_591.jpg

For those of you who know what the stock one looked like it took a lot of sanding and some creativity with a soda can to make a plate underneath. I also had to hack away some plastic inside to slide the lights up closer.

I'm looking at putting some Firestones on eventually but being a new rider I want to make sure they would be a safe tire and not purely form over function. Also looking at some of these: Duro Tires

Right now I have a ribbed "Racer" tire on the front and, I honestly like how it looks (a bit of a throw back), the rear tire is a Shinko Podium tubeless performance tire.

Any suggestions?

I've already repainted the seat cowl, redid some wiring, and am looking into replacement clipons since the one is broken.

hi there, i just stumbled across your thread and figured i had to comment as we have the exact same year/make/model of motorcycle, AND you have what i consider to be the best reading material ever (just see my avatar :)) in the background of your pics above, haha. have you made any progress on this thing since your post?

Haha, heck yea and thanks! I have actually found out it is a 1980 (not really a big big deal). I have made some more progress and I really need to upload the pics and vids about it. Mainly cosmetic stuff, minor mods. Ignition switch relocation/fabbing a bracket, adding a retro "Stop" brakelight to the license plate area, wiring, adding a newer headlight.

The following are over a year old but for any who followed:

Mini update:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2a6nVytaUM

Last update (I also did a better paint job of the tank and have a planned repaint of the cowl):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOQ2sy4SuxM

Thank you, rode it all summer and most of the fall. I repainted the tank (black) and need to redo the cowl this winter as it has chipped/my neighbor's kids may have scuffed it somehow. No biggie. I have some thin adhesive rubber that I will put behind the headlight ears so they wont wobble. I installed an updated headlight (looks the same but brighter) as well as a Shorai LithIron battery and that thing kicks ass I have to say.

Riding season coming up. I have since learned the wonders of bondo, rebuilt the carbs thrice (and it runs better than when I had my shop do them, expensive oops there), and learned the patience needed to properly sand and prep for paint, also repainting the tank badges was fun and not as horrible as I had thought it would be.

I've been considering adding a tail hoop and welding in a pan so I can enclose the underside of the cowl and carry more tools, I'm starved for emergency storage space at the moment. I have also considered a front fender, but it just doesn't gel with what I want, even though it's important (I KNOW!).

1" or so seems to be ok from the masses for your forks sticking up through the trees but I don't like it either way and should be done properly.

Regarding the front fender.. its not so much the fender that is important as it is the fork brace.

After almost two years on the road with it (I don't really push it "to the limit"), I've yet to experience any fork play/wobble. I'd guess that if I were attempting highway speed with it/cornering like an ass I would invest in one.

Spitfire151 said:
After almost two years on the road with it (I don't really push it "to the limit"), I've yet to experience any fork play/wobble. I'd guess that if I were attempting highway speed with it/cornering like an ass I would invest in one.

Perhaps.

I also just noticed your not running any fork dust shields... Did you update that?

Yes! The forks were also completely gone through. I also got a smaller rear tire, that one was oversized and eventually developed a bulge. A new front tire will most likely be added later this year. That one is fine but its tread isn't as "safe as it can be."

Back
Top Bottom