"Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Brodie said:
It is exciting when the bike starts to come together. Can't wait to see the paint scheme.

Cheers Brodie - I can't wait to see the paint scheme either !! I am really agonising over the choice. But the "Classic Silver" just didn't look right with the Red. I'm back with the Satin Black with Red pinstripes / Graffix at the moment. I think it will compliment what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to stay true to my roots, but after all - it's evolved - just like me !

I am pleased that all those "whatif" moments have worked out. The guy who's going to tack the exhaust is now bugging me !! Won't be until next week as I want to re-do the lower header - I was a bit overenthusiastic with the grinder, I didn't have a cutting wheel ! However it's OK s a POC as I can see it will work. The new blast cabinet and compressor will be up and running next week and then I'll start stripping the late [ '82 ] Glemseck motor for cleaning prep.

canyoncarver said:
Sounds like great progress! How big of a compressor did you go with?

Went for a step up from "DIY".

Vee twin 115 psi max / 13.8 cfm and 100 litre tank. Should run all I need !

I've no illusions it will last forever, but I' only using it in a hobby mode.

£275 delivered !

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 480
BTW - this was as far as I got before I decided to try the Classic Silver. Excuse the Ray Charles striping ::), just wanted to get an idea.

Maybe thick 'n thin stripes [ a la Manx ] and then a 2" central Red stripe front to back - over seat and fairing. The fairing will need something a bit more imaginative- otherwise it will be a big blob of Blackness ! ;) I have a couple of ideas, but being a dummy with photoshop, I'll have to lay it out on the fairing itself. 8)

Attachments

• kz tank prep 009.jpg
    kz tank prep 009.jpg
    568.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 7R seat prep 005.jpg
    7R seat prep 005.jpg
    709.8 KB · Views: 208
  • 7R seat prep 009.jpg
    7R seat prep 009.jpg
    685.5 KB · Views: 200
I'm a pro expert level P-Shopper....this is a recent example of my work....proud tbh.

oftGR2b.jpg

Happy to help.....;)

My machine shop guy is back from his holiday on Monday - so front wheel spindle mods and exh. cam mod will be done in the next week or so. ;D

That's a big step as the bike is then truly rolling [ OK, need rear wheel spacers ] and I can get a good idea of the aesthetics with the tank, seat, top fairing and belly fairing in place.

More little jobs ticked off. Rear wheel sprocket aligned with gearbox sprocket so we can measure for spacers. Theoretically that's the rolling chassis all buttoned up.

Odd nuts and bolts sourced and fitted.

Attachments

• 3rd aug 4.JPG
    3rd aug 4.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 455
  • 3 Aug.JPG
    3 Aug.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 465
  • aug 3rd 2.JPG
    aug 3rd 2.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 450
  • aug 3rd.JPG
    aug 3rd.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 467
It occurs to me that my bike has morphed [ mind of it;s own ] from a Flat Tracker into what always should have been - a Cafe Racer .... to be specific a Sixties style Cafe Racer.

I guess the thread really ought to be in the Cafe Racer section. Part of the reason for my postings are to pass on what we were doing in the sixties [ apart from the Tales ! ] to anyone interested. 8)

Just a thought - someone will tell me I'm sure ! ;)

Good day at the office ! ;D Only small mods required to get the belly fairing / fuel cell fitted.

Ergonomics proved out - relationship of bars, seat, tank, footpegs. All good, maybe need to move footpegs - we'll see.

Sorted out the top fairing. I'm going for the tinted screen fairing. Looks just right - pix next time.

Collector cut and fettled to clear rear frame tube and the headers tidied up ready for tacking up.

Plus loads of "whatifs" sorted and POC brake torque brackets mocked up.

Oh yes, runs on the seat nothing to do with me - a pal asked if "he could have a go". Fortunately it has to have final shaping and more primer anyway. ::)

My partner in crime Brian.

Attachments

• kz strip mock up 008.jpg
    kz strip mock up 008.jpg
    580.1 KB · Views: 214
  • kz strip mock up 007.jpg
    kz strip mock up 007.jpg
    726.6 KB · Views: 211
  • kz strip mock up 005.jpg
    kz strip mock up 005.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 217
  • kz strip mock up 004.jpg
    kz strip mock up 004.jpg
    705.2 KB · Views: 209
  • kz strip mock up 003.jpg
    kz strip mock up 003.jpg
    583 KB · Views: 207
  • kz strip mock up 001.jpg
    kz strip mock up 001.jpg
    635.2 KB · Views: 213
Steering damper - ye olde worlde. Needed something to fit in with the 60's theme. What better than a 1957 BSA steering damper [ OK, repro ]. Then ADD in that Manx wing nut I've had on my office display shelf for the past 30 odd years ..... job done. 8)

Attachments

• kz steering damper.jpg
    kz steering damper.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 205
Steering dampener will work ;) Simple fab.

Fuel cell sorted, small mod required due to some idiot forgetting to fit the sump before taking measurements. ::) Belly pan also modded to suit and fettled to fit the bottom frame tubes nicely.

Rear wheel centralised and chain runs aligned. Even had a spacer that fitted in the stash !

+ 20% stronger clutch spring prototype being collected next week

Attachments

• IMG_1970.JPG
    IMG_1970.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 671
  • IMG_1973.JPG
    IMG_1973.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 712
Exh. cam modified [ for intake ], front wheel spindle spacer sleeves done, NOS weld bungs machined and holes drilled. Also scored some oddball lazer cut brackets.

Attachments

• kz strip mock up 007.jpg
    kz strip mock up 007.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 198
I've been troubled over the choice of colourways - given I went with the Red frame !

Think the answer's been under my nose all the time ! ::)

OK - this time round with Black or Silver engine and either Gold or Black pinstripes / graffix.

The BSA steering dampener has been modded along with the KZ top nut. Just need a frame anchor bracket and we're forward to the past.

Headers nearly dressed ready for tacking - maybe another hour's work with a file.

Attachments

• img470.jpg
    img470.jpg
    846.7 KB · Views: 210
Not enough red.

btw... do you still need that axle measurement?

spotty said:
lordy, that thing is all kinds of hideous

Thanx for your considered input - was improved somewhat with the addition of stainless exhaust and Contis and polished dellortos. Talking of hideous, I'm looking at the bacon slicer front wheel in your Avatar.

doc_rot said:
Not enough red.

btw... do you still need that axle measurement?

Yes please if you get chance. I went for 24mm in the end as I had to get it done before he went on holiday, but a confirmation would be good.

Yes, a bit overboard with the Redness, toned down a bit on the finished bike with stainless exhaust / Contis and polished Dellortos. Then there were the discs and a few sprinklings of chrome. The seat was revamped to fit the top rail properly and was in Black suede. Some guy in Denmark offered me an obscene amount of money for it just before it was finished, sight unseen [ except pix ] - SOLD

The KZ will have black or silver engine, stainless headers and the seat will be Black perforated leather [ or suede ]. Undecided yet if the contrasting pinstripes/graffix will be Gold

beachcomber said:
Thanx for your considered input - was improved somewhat with the addition of stainless exhaust and Contis and polished dellortos. Talking of hideous, I'm looking at the bacon slicer front wheel in your Avatar.

that wheel is the stock vmax almost solid disc alloy wheel with R1 discs which do have a satisfyingly slicer look about them , and i can testify to the sliciness of them, all them edges are feckin sharp. i decided those 4 pot calipers weren't enough so it now has 6 pot busa ones, almost adequate for the obscene weight of me and the bike together ( somewhere near 400 kilos )

Back
Top Bottom