79 CB750 Limited Streetfighter/Cafe style buildup

Booligan

Been Around the Block
Hey guys, new member here, figured I would post up my bike. Picked up a 79 CB750 Limited model from a local guy, it was all tourered out, bags, bars, you name it. Paint was iffy on the tank due to a brake fluid leak, and it had a mismatched side panel. Figured I would turn it into something fun.

Before:
DSC_2851.jpg

So, swapped out the bars, lights, signals, mirrors, horn, ripped off the rack and rear fender, reshaped the seat and had it recovered, new lighting package in the rear, etc. Topped off with Honda S2000 white paint and refinished badges. Still need to do a little vinyl work to cover up the badge mounting holes on the side panels, but it's pretty much done. I have a ton of build pics on my website which will be linked below.

DSC_3307.jpg

DSC_3301.jpg

DSC_3298.jpg

DSC_3305.jpg

All in all, I'm in this thing for about $1600, including the purchase price of the bike and all my work so far. I'm really happy with how it looks, and it rides like a dream. Check out all the progress at retrostreetfighter.tumblr.com

Thanks, I've still got a few tweaks I'd like to do before I call it done. I need to make some small vinyl badges for the side panels to cover up the mounting holes, and I think I want to build a smaller gauge cluster to make it lower profile. Otherwise, the bike runs great, is plenty quick, and starts up every time. Sounds nasty with the Vance & Hines pipe too.

I just bought a 75 CB750 a few weeks ago, and rode it a few times, need to work out the bugs it has (seems to bog, and now it won't start) but this is the look I'm gonna go for if i dont go full cafe' on it. Great work! :)

If you want any info on any of the parts I used or any of the mods I made, let me know. Your SOHC model will be much easier to find cafe parts for, that's for sure. Almost nobody has any love for the DOHC, lol.

True, very little DOHC love here... I semi-finished my 750f build this winter. I think these wheels look a lot better all black. GOOD LUCK!

Now I'm on to a CX500.

full on tin, I love what you've done with the 750F. Super clean look, especially the leatherwork on the seat. I'm on the fence with my vinyl work that I want. Part of me wants to make big meaty vinyl side pieces like this:

detalle_CRD+No1_Honda+CB900+BoldOr_4.jpg

But part of me likes the big white flanks of this thing. I've got a few designs in my head for a CB750 logo to put on the side and cover up the mounting holes, just not sure which route I want to go.

It is pretty damn hot, that's for sure. I'm just not sure I want to cover pretty much the whole flanks with vinyl. If I don't go that route, I'll have some small vinyls like these made that will cover up the holes on the side panels:

hon2_82cb750f_side2_b.jpg

hon2_82cb750f_slvr_sides.jpg

Mine would say CB750L or just CB750 or something like that though. Not sure what to put underneath instead of Super Sport. I don't want to just put "Limited Edition", because that's just lame. I don't think I want to put "Street Fighter" on there either, it seems pretentious. I want to put something underneath the CB750 though, just not sure what. I do dig the font though, and I'd probably go with the color scheme of the second one.

I saw a site recently, I think it was cycle X, aka Cyclexchange, where they were selling some unique badges for Honda fours. I'd like to have one done for my '82 CB750F (Maybe you're looking for some parts? Also, you should be looking into the CB1100F.net forums, as well as the CB750C custom forums as well, 'cause there's HELLA GOOD DOHC info 'round there.) Being that I'm going for a sand-cast/Dohc type deal with MY build, I figure the retro SOHC badges would suit me fine. Even WHEN (ie NOT "IF") I put in the bored out 1123cc Wiseco engine I lust after, or at least a 900, 985, etc. Tons of cool stuff for the DOHC from cycle X, I really like their low-cost alternative version of the 4-2-1 pipe that's usually only found by the likes of Schule.

Ah, I can't find the link I'm thinking of, but it's out there someplace, and I'll be sure to brag all about it when I get MINE. Ha ha.

Also, some random Honda decals, some of which really bring out my own personal nostalgic emotions.

-S.
http://kz900.com/decals-hon.html

Cool stuff! I really dig the old Honda Racing stuff. Maybe one of those would look good.

BTW, which universal LCD gauge units are people using nowadays? I've seen a few of them on the market, just not sure which ones are any good.

Anyone ever tried these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13-5-Air-Shock-Absorbers-Clevis-CB-750-RD350-RD-H2-400-/170654302327?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27bbca0077&vxp=mtr#ht_2579wt_1037

I know I'm not getting race quality parts here, but are they usable?

Also, jumping into some 2.25" mini gauges in the next week or so. Should look much better than the massive stock unit.

Also, has anyone mounted a CB900 front fender to a CB750? Seems like it should work fine, but wanted to ask if anyone had any issues with it. I prefer the smaller 900 front fender to the 750Ls massive one. I'd be picking up a used one from ebay and getting it blasted/powdercoated white to match the rest of the bike.

Those cheap piggy back Chinese shocks have a pretty bad rep. The clevis is a weak point that will break pretty easily. And quality control is..... :eek:

crazypj "re-built" a set a while back and they came up good by all accounts - but you have to know what you're doing to do that ;)

I wouldn't put them on a heavy bike like a CB750.

269355_10151819183540007_1548619890_n.jpg

Freshly washed her up for ya ;)

So, here's the game plan at this point:
1. New 2.25" gauge package. I'll be using a mini tach and speedo with built in idiot lights. I have a concern that running the indicators into a single LED caution light will either disable the flash (maybe not with my digital flasher relay) or cause both sides to blink at once (because of the silly way these were wired.) If this happens, I'll build a little aluminum filler panel with two new indicator lights to solve the issue.

2. CB900C front fender, media blasted and powdercoated white to match the bike. I'd go with paint to match, but the process of totally dechroming the fender to prep for paint sounds like a giant load of ass that I don't want to do, so I'll probably be powdercoating it instead.

3. Small vinyl stickers for the sides, based on the 80s F model. They'll just say CB750, doing the white/black/blue color scheme for these.

4. MAYBE those remote shocks I linked above. I'd love to throw a set of factory CB900 remote shocks on there if I could find some in serviceable shape for less than my first born child.

That's really about it. I'd like to do dual discs some day, but it's not a huge priority any time soon. Also need to tweak my carbs a bit so I'm not trailing a nice little cloud of smoke every time I roll when not on the throttle, haha.

Booligan said:
Thanks, I've still got a few tweaks I'd like to do before I call it done. I need to make some small vinyl badges for the side panels to cover up the mounting holes, and I think I want to build a smaller gauge cluster to make it lower profile. Otherwise, the bike runs great, is plenty quick, and starts up every time. Sounds nasty with the Vance & Hines pipe too.

Nice job - I love these Hondas.

Re: the guages - MOST Japanese guages can be removed from the fuggin ugerley pods and you end up with a "Smiths" style clock. You then just have to relocate the idiot lights. Worked on my Yam TR1 [ XV920 ].

Might be top end of your budget, but check out www.realmengineering.com for RAM shox.

Eye-eye shox been on the market for over 3 years now and Honda clevis development almost complete.

Back
Top Bottom