BMW R90/6 Cafe

I’ve been considering small side panels, but now that I’ve roughed one in I’m not sure... With some tweaking this panel would fit better, but I’m still not sold. I like them from the top view, but they just don’t feel right from other angles. think I’m going to skip the side panels and make a small sport bike style swingarm fender to help with some of the tire spray. Opinions?

f2e6c5858ee9869981a59a99744ad2cb.jpg
facde5a15cf481a52d9c868d59dec3b7.jpg
5490870c830a13053b6b7b5f8753f0a8.jpg
b75317fafef0adcf4752f604d5e8bdbc.jpg

And a few without the panel for comparison.

233d1dbd8565a60d9d5c6d282f550c1a.jpg
0f405a424da79abcee02bfd32f4493c4.jpg
ac0a8afea7a738cf918a1d75b16b571d.jpg

Side panels look awesome.

That seat has got to go though. It doesn't match the scalloped look of the tank or side panels.

BTW, how do tho the tank shelves work with your riding position? Can you tuck in tight or do they intersect you arms and dig in, or are you arms outside so it doesn't matter?

The indention in the side panels look very "round", while i think the tank (though it may not be) looks quite angular. So maybe adding some harder lines would make them look more suitable. But I do think the side panels are rad.

Maritime said:
I like the panels, but pending on paint or polish or accents that could change.

It’s all going to be painted. The seat pad will be black, so that would add contrast to the area.

What's the plan for the air box, since the rear shock appears to interfere? Without it, that space is awkward. These motors are so well designed with no hard edges, except now the rear quarter is just lopped off. How you deal with that space may go a long way with how the side covers visually fit.

teazer said:
Side panels look awesome.

That seat has got to go though. It doesn't match the scalloped look of the tank or side panels.

BTW, how do tho the tank shelves work with your riding position? Can you tuck in tight or do they intersect you arms and dig in, or are you arms outside so it doesn't matter?

Thanks, they’re growing on me.

I think the seat matches better than the side panels. I made the profile of the hump to match the rear of the tank, and it also has scallops.

The grips are above the tank shelves. Your arms can’t intersect, nothing to dig in. You could drop your elbows and tuck tight, but the taper of the tank takes it pretty much out of play. The shelves mostly serve to carry more fuel low and out of the way. They almost double the capacity of the tank versus if it were smooth.

cb360j said:
The indention in the side panels look very "round", while i think the tank (though it may not be) looks quite angular. So maybe adding some harder lines would make them look more suitable. But I do think the side panels are rad.

Yeah, I definitely see what your saying. I think that maybe if I change the shape of the indents from oval to maybe match the rear profile of the tank it might flow better.

irk miller said:
What's the plan for the air box, since the rear shock appears to interfere? Without it, that space is awkward. These motors are so well designed with no hard edges, except now the rear quarter is just lopped off. How you deal with that space may go a long way with how the side covers visually fit.

Yep, I totally agree with that space affecting the overall appearance. I’m going to make another aluminum airbox cover the same overall shape as the original, but just slightly altered so it will clear the shock. It will basically look like the stock cover, but without the intake holes.

I also roughed in this mini swingarm-mount rear fender. It might add a nice touch of color to the black powder coated swingarm and frame.

bbabdc0c5832ca7d7bacbc1b9e597e2d.jpg
077f823a7df6a3aef9b06b8926c37b17.jpg

Rounded triangle airbox and slightly modified side covers, and I think your golden.

The hugger fender is good too, man.

I see the tank as having predominantly hard edges, especially the shelves and where the rear panel meets the sides. The seat hump by comparison is too wide (to my eye) and too bulbous.

Obviously it's your bike and what others like me think isn't all that important in the scheme of things but the seat and tank lines are edges and lines, slightly softened and the seat is none of the above. We all see things differently and what we like is different.

I like the side panel, as long as you can massage it to fit the tube in front of it better.

Paint might make the seat match the tank better but I love all the naked aluminum, I don't think I would paint it.

teazer said:
I see the tank as having predominantly hard edges, especially the shelves and where the rear panel meets the sides. The seat hump by comparison is too wide (to my eye) and too bulbous.

Obviously it's your bike and what others like me think isn't all that important in the scheme of things but the seat and tank lines are edges and lines, slightly softened and the seat is none of the above. We all see things differently and what we like is different.

I absolutely see where you’re coming from, especially in pictures. I also get a different perspective walking around it in person.

I’m happy with it, and so is the owner. The seat will stay, but I appreciate the constructive criticism.

CrabsAndCylinders said:
I like the side panel, as long as you can massage it to fit the tube in front of it better.

Paint might make the seat match the tank better but I love all the naked aluminum, I don't think I would paint it.

I talked with the owner about polishing everything. We both love the look, but it’s just not practical to live with. Get stuck in the rain, and you’re polishing for hours. You could clear-coat it, but it totally ruins the look in my opinion.

Some progress on the rear fender. Just needs a little work rounding out the corners and it’s ready to mount. I’ll attach some pics of the process for those that are interested.
631bf2d1cc2fcac8892b51e382c8c66c.jpg
cc96842f93ef35c604c4bdd93cd73a4b.jpg
300fc98c4ab3148614f5de8a66219ca7.jpg
2453f8b49a4f3c6e24c48a8dc0ec309b.jpg
12defe19135aabc82f6e73364bc92d82.jpg
2bedd2c12d206ebf8b0bf14fda2f906b.jpg

https://youtu.be/MMCNE1kHLUs

Back
Top Bottom