Project: "HonkyKong" 1979 KZ750 B Twin (brat-tracker-thingy)

Very cool stuff indeed. I really like the lamps and the clocks. And double congratulations on the incoming child!

diggerdanh said:
Very cool stuff indeed. I really like the lamps and the clocks. And double congratulations on the incoming child!
Thanks, ...to both comments.

I'm looking into getting hooked up wth some local indie shops who may be interested in stocking or consigning some of my stuff displayed on http://honkykongcustoms.com/

Also, finding a constant source of affordable parts (without turning my backyard into a salvage yard) can be difficult, but I'm making a few scattered connections.

Your fork oil is as close as your nearest auto parts store. I'm 6'2" 240ish, my stock fork springs support me fine with Dexron 2 ATF. Doesn't leak, doesn't foam up. I filled my forks one at a time. Drop them out of the clamps, pull the spring, let the top tube fall into the bottom tube. Stand upright, fill to the top of the upper tube. Extend, add springs, re-install. 5 years without issue. Savage with 15" apes on it...

Bike is looking great so far. Congrats on the baby.

hallin222 said:
Knowing I had lots of parts to strip and re-paint on this project, I invested in a cheap Harbor Frieght sandblast cabinet and went to town. I few other friends have build projects going on too, so I knew it'd get used enough to justify the expense. Lucky, wifey is pretty accepting of tool purchases, seeing them as long-term moeny savers, allowing me to do more myself, rather than paying others to do it for me.

Just some of the parts that got sanded and/or blasted and re-painted:

7290565598_fab12fd732_c.jpg

This engine is actually from another parts bike I picked up for free, if I remember correctly. It's from a 1980 KZ750G, and looked to be in better shape than the 'B' model's gas burner. I had it running on one cylinde prior to cleaning the carbs and acquiring a new coil, so I'm confident it will serve me well.

7290564420_82c6e76707_c.jpg

7290565218_4249dc1294_c.jpg
What kind of paint did you use on your engine?

Fab 5 Freddy said:
What kind of paint did you use on your engine?
Just some high temp engine paint from my local auto parts store. Maybe it was the PJ1 VHT stuff in satin black. I forget exactly. Sorry.

Excuse my lack of updates. Life took up all my free time for the first half of 2013. The new baby plus an ever increasing workload at my day job leaves little tome for much else. I'm anxious to get back to the KZ though. Maybe more updates in the next few weeks.

Love the build. I just read through the whole thing instead of doing my job. LOL. I've def subscribed and am waiting patiently for any updates. Oh and congrats on the new addition. They will definitely suck up all your free time. But in a couple years you will have a little helper.

Back
Top Bottom