71 Honda CB350: Enthusiast turned builder!

haha - yeah - he's cleaning her up too. =)

In the end - they made a ton of these and you do what you want with the one you've got. We don't all have the luxury of waiting for the perfect specimen to match our vision...

too many haters in this thread.

legendary_rider said:
I actually meant leaving it stock with original tank, etc.
Ya I know, just messin. I hope the finished product doesn't sway far from the classic look for all you. Nevertheless, it's being transformed into a cafe racer one way or another. I look at it as improving on an already excellent machine, at its most pinnacle point in life, by bringing it to modern day looks, feel, and ride-ability.

Cursh said:
In the end - they made a ton of these and you do what you want with the one you've got. We don't all have the luxury of waiting for the perfect specimen to match our vision...

too many haters in this thread.

Haters gunna hate...

Oh shit. Don't get me wrong. I love what you're doing with it. I just think that eventually there wont be a lot of classic stock bikes anymore with so many frames cut and modified and factory parts going to scrap yards. I cafe'd mine too but they were basket cases. I actually don't even like the way stock ones look. I think it looks like something that would be on "dumb and dumber" or Scooby Doo. I'd probably sell it to a purist collector who would be interested in retaining and restoring then buy one less worthy with money to spare on cafe parts. Anyway I don't mean to hijack your thread. Please continue with the awesomeness.

Looking good Korbin! The exhaust routed under the seat looks like a challenge, but could look bad ass if you have the clearance. Now for all those raggin on him for transforming his "survivor" into what his vision is, I have a 75 CB500T, 100% original survivor, 5k miles. Who wants to buy it and save it from being chopped up? $2,500 is all it takes.

I'm pleased with the exhaust, I should have enough clearance. It's only tight on the sides of the frame, I have to make sure the exhaust isn't touching though. I'm hoping the seat and electrical components don't get extremely hot. Anybody have any thoughts, about heat protection/disbursement?

I am planning on using something like this on the underside of the seat cowl .
http://www.jegs.com/i/Thermo-Tec/893/13500/10002/-1?parentProductId=750869

But I'm not sure what to use for the inside of the seat pan.

I have not used that product, but I saw the heat mat which might work better as an insulator because of the thickness of the mat. I do not think exhaust tail pipes get 1100*. Another idea if you have the room, is have your under seat pan and then leave a small air gap and use another piece of metal as a heat shield. I see a lot of guys cut the battery box out and throw away side covers and then mount everything under the seat in the back of the bike. To me, why add weight to the back and up higher? In my build I am keeping my side covers, remaking battery box to house smaller battery and electronics and keeping weight down low and in the middle of the bike. Side covers are not that heavy, and if you want to cut 10lbs off the bike, go on a diet!

DucatiDave said:
I have not used that product, but I saw the heat mat which might work better as an insulator because of the thickness of the mat. I do not think exhaust tail pipes get 1100*. Another idea if you have the room, is have your under seat pan and then leave a small air gap and use another piece of metal as a heat shield. I see a lot of guys cut the battery box out and throw away side covers and then mount everything under the seat in the back of the bike. To me, why add weight to the back and up higher? In my build I am keeping my side covers, remaking battery box to house smaller battery and electronics and keeping weight down low and in the middle of the bike. Side covers are not that heavy, and if you want to cut 10lbs off the bike, go on a diet!

most all want the open triangle look like all the other sheeple have :-\ it is not a cafe racer without a queer open triangle dontcha know !!!

I'm using this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-210040?seid=srese1&gclid=CPXi6e6p2MACFQmBfgodG7wAOg to keep my fuel filters from burning up on my scrambler exhaust (the 450 tank happens to resolve this issue by placing the petcock on the non exhaust side)

I'm not sure what sizes are available, but that might help your brake wiring from melting apart.

p.s. love the weight argument ducatidave: i tell people that with bicycles all the time. I ride a 23lbs 20 year old road bike, and until I can see my abs there is no reason to buy a 12lbs carbon anything.

-B

Cursh said:
p.s. love the weight argument ducatidave: i tell people that with bicycles all the time. I ride a 23lbs 20 year old road bike, and until I can see my abs there is no reason to buy a 12lbs carbon anything.

-B

I used to have an old Raleigh, with gear change on the lower frame. That was a beast to ride.

Some nice work, I have never seen so many negative people comment on a very sanitary build. I hope you persevere and get a great bike.

Given the amount of time it takes to make an old 350 look as good as that one looked it's sad to see it get all chopped up. I would have sold that and bought one that was trashed..what a shame.

Yeah I must agree with others who are cringing at modding and chopping up a clean stock cb350.
Despite how many were made in 1970's, clean virgin cb350's are rare now. They are a true classic.
I am a huge fan of chopping up bikes that are already chopped up, and leaving stock pristine, beautiful bikes alone with a little polish and shine.
Good luck though! Its too late to turn back the page on this bike so I hope you finish it and make it very nice!

Hey, I can't do anything more than, finish what I've started, because if I don't, then and only then, I've failed.

Back
Top Bottom