'Hamasaki' formerly known as the '82 KZ305 cafe racer - first build

Re: '82 KZ305 cafe racer - first build

Rear sets and rear indicators mounted. And a few other detail shots, none of it's actually finished of course.
taje6ugy.jpg
qe7esy8y.jpg
ede5ejyt.jpg
ubahada3.jpg
vudutepy.jpg

"God save the Queen" it's Queen's Birthday here, that means a day off to work on my bike.
u9uveny9.jpg
ybe7uden.jpg

Fabricated my battery tray out of aluminium and cunningly recycled the plastic mud guard to sit under my tail hump.
sehegeje.jpg

Nice n tidy.
ty2yzeze.jpg

One weld and some speed holes away from having the brake side rear set done.

Any feedback / encouragement / ego massage greatfully accepted ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I've re visited my plan just to help me organise what I need to do next.

Attachments

• KZ305csr Cafe Racer plan v37.jpg
    KZ305csr Cafe Racer plan v37.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 448
  • Cafe 305 v37.png
    Cafe 305 v37.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 512

Rustyhama said:
I've re visited my plan just to help me organise what I need to do next.

I like how you've come up up with a plan of attack, it's something i was looking for when i started my project as i felt i needed some direction. turns out you just start taking it apart and it all flows from there

I mounted all the bits on my handlebars over the weekend. Ended up having to cut 20mm of the throttle twist grip, not ideal but not really a problem either. Fabbed up a wee bracket for my speedo too.
e6ypy2ut.jpg
tatynyty.jpg
zapu5une.jpg

Can anyone enlighten me as to how to remove the cable from my old speedo? I took it all apart but it appears to be all sealed up, tamper proof I guess.
eqagebed.jpg

The cable end should just come out of the speedo housing. Is that what you are wondering?

Yes. I've been pulling it but it feels very attached to something in there. I'll have a go with pliers...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I'm gonna go for some rattle can bling this weekend. All chrome parts, most of them are rusty too so I've done lots of research and prep work. I hope to have some pictures of the results next week. I'll either be an expert in dealing with rusty shit or going to plan B, sending them off for sand blasting & powder coating

Looking forward to an update. Lots of love going into this.

D.

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Tapatalk

There's plenty of work going on but not much to show because my bike is scattered about town. The engine and carbs are at the mechanic's. The frame and swing arm are getting glass blasted ready for powder coating this week. I almost forgot my ignition is at the lock smith getting re built. I have bits in my garage, bits in the car, bits in my bedroom and my shed is now a make shift spray booth. I need 2 more cans of enamel to finish my rattle can work. I'll shoot home at lunch time today for that. I cleaned up a few parts yesterday and drilled some speed holes. Busy!

ara6unu8.jpg
bane5e6e.jpg
aqy9e6eq.jpg

aha3egyr.jpg

98% happy with my rattle can work. Definitely the best I've ever done. Considering it was really cold then really windy and my 'paint booth' was less than ideal. Picking up my frame tomorrow so not far from reassembly. Need some caliper paint for my disc rotor before I can get the front wheel back together, oh and some tyres...

duru5aba.jpg

Think I'll put my motor in tonight.
I put my shocks back together this morning with my home made spring compressor. Worked perfectly!
7yryna2y.jpg

From this...
je3e8esy.jpg

To this.

Some good progress this weekend. Some fabrication and reassembly.
ute3y8y7.jpg
uze9e2en.jpg
my3agure.jpg

I love it! coming along great. I may steal that rear fender design if you don't mind ;)

Is that the stock front fender just trimmed down?

Steal is such a harsh term don't you think? Let's just say like don't mind if you "take inspiration" from my work. Unless you're planning a move to the South Pacific of course! I'm still on track to have the only café racer in my city. Yes that is the stock front fender cut down with the fork brace lowered.

Stoked with my brake side rear set. Works perfectly with about 25-30mm lever travel. Shit I'm good!
zygyjyha.jpg

Looking at your side covers reminds me how mine look like shit

Back
Top Bottom