My cb360t cafe project

cb360tj

Cb360t
I am doing my first cafe. So I'm scouring the internet all day to find out everything I can. I thought that there was some stuff that was hard to find and wanted to have my own build page. So here it is! Basically my dad is awsome with cars and he is helping with a lot. But we are still clueless so please help us out.
Here are some pics of what we've done. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 473
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 434
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 431
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 431
The wiring is still a total mess. Basically all thing electrical. And no fuel or break lines. Suggestions?

I would have welded mounting brackets onto the frame and bolted the battery tray and rear fender onto it instead of welding it to the frame directly.

besides that nice looking project, curious to see how the seat will turn out!

Thanks.
jungalist said:
I would have welded mounting brackets onto the frame and bolted the battery tray and rear fender onto it instead of welding it to the frame directly.

besides that nice looking project, curious to see how the seat will turn out!

The seat is just tacked on so I know it's straight. (Saw kott do it on his videos) so I'll take that off when it's done. I wanted to fiberglass over the frame? Anyone done that before? And the battery will fit just under the cowling. Fingers crossed haha.

I don't mean the frame of the bike but the frame of the cowling/seat. Sorry. My frame for my seat still isn't finished though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 409
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,115
You'll want to make a mold. Styrofoam is not an uncommon choice.

Fiberglass over that gets your your rough shape, and then filler and sanding gets you a mostly-finished product.

Does this mean I could be in the
DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys club? 8)

Membership is automatic if you own a red, white, and black Honda 360. Sorry, but there's no opt-out option. ;)

cb360tj said:
The seat is just tacked on so I know it's straight. (Saw kott do it on his videos) so I'll take that off when it's done.

I was talking about your rear fender and battery tray. won't be a problem but make sure to drill some drain holes so it doesn't become a swimming pool underneath your seat.

and i'm afraid fibreglass would crack loose from your metal seat frame construction so i would go all metal or make a foam mold and make a pure fibreglass seat.

That's what I was afraid of. I haven't found any vids or anything to go all metal!? But if I go all fiber is it really strong enough and mounts well with some brackets?

Thanks for the hole tip. I didn't think of that!

For fiberglass, you can impregnate the casting with metal for bracket or screws. Fiberglass has the ability to flex, but has a limited range before it cracks. If you want to use your metal framework, you can build a mold out of foam that the framework fits over and match it's contours. If you make a mold with same dimensions as your metal frame, you can heat the frame above 180 degrees and lay it into the foam. Apply the fiberglass over the foam mold, then when you remove it from the foam, you can lay it over the metal frame and lay glass over the metal from underneath thereby imbedding it in-between.

That sounds great. Then I can put some tabs on the seat and just fiberglass around everything with the mold. So it will end up being a normal fiberglass seat with a meal ring around the bottom?

You can use well-nuts or knurled threaded inserts.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/0162803?locale=en_US

http://catalog.yardleyproducts.com/viewitems/all-categories-multi-sert/ulti-sert-insert-small-large-series-metric-threads

I've taken flat stock, impregnated the fiberglass with it, then drilled through the flat stock from the outside, and use rubber washers and hex cap screws that fasten to weld nuts on the frame. You can also do the same with hinges, such as a piano hinge.

Essentially with fiberglass, you want to create a framework and mounting system that keeps all load except its own weight off of the glass form. Its good to have a framework to handle the load of your ass. I think with seats, people also cast them thicker to handle their weight without the framework, but I think something under the seat will help it last longer.

ThAnks! I'm gathering the supplies for the seat once finals are over.
I'm sure I'll have more questions!

Also I bought a starter for the bike Bc it didn't come wth it. But should I use it??? Pros cons? The smaller battery and simpler wiring seem like a pro no starter.

What are battery requirements for with and without starter?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0041CADO6

This is the battery I ended up with.
From what I've read it will work for they occasional start but with mostly kick starts.

I have everything for the fiberglass seat. because of the way the hoop is it is really hard to do the foam on it. So I might just make it separate and mold the seat to it after. Also I'm thinking after everyone's input that I'll use seat frame I made and add some supports and just attach the fiberglass shell onto it after I take it off the mold. Then fiberglass it into the metal so it's all one piece. Does that make sense?

Welcome to DTT.

1. Was this bike half "done" when you bought it, or stock? Somebody else's project, and they gave up?

2. did you get her fired up and do a bit of riding before you started all this?

3. Did YOU stretch the swing arm or did the PO do that? get rid of it.

4. should push the fork tubes back down to the stock position.

5. In the pics. it looks like the pan you have welded in there is gonna be very tight to the rear tire.

6. post a pic of what it looked like when you brought her home, plz.

Thanks! I feel like I haven't gotten a lot done on my bike but I have learned a lot here. And now have a pretty good idea of the plan!

I got it with some of the stuff done. The frame had been cut and the loop put on. The swing arm was stretched and that's about it. They said it ran but I've never heard it yet. (Fingers crossed) I can bounce on the back as hard as I can without bottoming out, but it's close. I've detabbed it welded in those 2 plates started making the frame for the seat and cowling and cleaned and painted the motor. And a few other little things.

Back
Top Bottom