Ride through the winter? how do you keep warm and your bike looking cool?

strang

yep
Starting to get a little brisk here (London) in the evenings and thinking about riding in the autumn.
How do you keep warm without making your bike look like a retirement cruiser?
Have you found a screen that buffets the wind but still looks cool?
Hand guards that look ok?
With our often stripped down aesthetic, is it possible to add weather protection without it looking shit?

I'd invest in some decent riding gear, and perhaps some heated grips if you feel the need.

I put habd guards and screen on for early spring late fall riding. I just got quick release versions so they come off easy as soon. As weather warms up. I didn't care about looms though. Function was more important.

phxtoad said:
Move to Arizona? :)

Or Georgia.....although it gets cold here too.

That why my old army gloves works......up north, who knows.

Plus when it get really cold....like in the teens.......sometimes.....I have a quick release windshield.

Layers on layers.

I ride to mid December about 3 Celsius and don't have particularly good gear, or a windshield.

So I usually wear long sleeved shirt, a good sweater or two light ones, leather jacket, ski socks, a face mask/baklava (i think it's meant for skiing, but makes a big difference),and full faced helmet. Rain/splash pants over heavy jeans really cuts the cool air on the legs and Heavy leather wool-lined mittens are quite a bit better than gloves.

That and preferably a stop for hot coffee gets me through.

If you live somewhere you can ride year-round, but it gets around zero degrees, I'd invest in heated jackets/pants http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/26/d/snow-heated-gear-for-men

Polartec fleece under riding jacket, snowmobile pants over riding pants. Leather lined gloves or snowmobile gloves get me though the cold in NE PA. 35 degrees F this morning.

Gerbing jacket and gloves. I resisted heated gear for years and have no idea why I was being so stubborn. It was an epiphany after years of needless suffering. Riding without having to bundle up is utterly liberating. I can wear a thin long sleeve shirt under my jacket and still be warm riding into sub freezing temps with the jacket cranked up. Feels like sleeping under an electric blanket. No need for base layers and multiple wool sweaters and hoodies under my jacket. The only thing that shows on my bike is the pigtail where I plug in the controller. The jacket is textile and armored. You can also get jacket liner and use it under your favorite leather.

I just got a set of bar mitts. Bloody lovely warm hands, but they look awful. Bout to get a small headlight screen thing too. You can also pick up heated jacket kits off ebay, I need to fix mine. I have a removable liner in my jacket that it is sewn into then a long lead to plug it in. Toasty! Personally dont bother trying to look cool over winter (or ever). Dont think anyone can look cool sitting in heavy traffic in 2C in torrential rain

Got some good RJays kit that keeps me toasty... that being said I live in Aus so winter is not that cold here compared to other countries ;)

Back
Top Bottom