1982 CB750F...Better Devil

I got some pistons from cruzinimage. The price is right, and haven’t heard terrible reviews on them, lots of people use them, and haven’t heard anything about forseti good or bad....both have big bore kits.

But wiseco...... if I had the dollars to spend....

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

find a set of cb900 cams they really light it up with the big bore kit

i have built 3 of them the latest

with a new hall effect ignition me and ray at rae-san have developed for the dohcs

using a set of 36mm dual flat slide carbs they haul

Go the 823 cc Big Bore, its as big as you can go without re-sleeving the cylinders. Plus then if you run with the 900 cams we can compare tuning notes ;)

Well hello cruisinimage...just had a look at their site, thanks for the lead Nybz. I can't believe how cheap their piston kits are - have you installed and run them yet? I can buy all four 0.50mm oversized pistons (with rings) for $120 - that's not expensive at all compared to other kits I've seen on Ebay etc-

https://www.cruzinimage.net/2017/08/04/79-82-honda-cb750f-0-5mm-oversize-pistons-set-62-50mm/

They also have the 823cc big bore kit (inc gaskets) for $150???

https://www.cruzinimage.net/2017/08/25/79-82-honda-cb750f-823cc-bigbore-pistons-kit-65mm/

Yeah, I'm shook.

Still waiting to hear back from the machine shop - if my piston/cylinder gap is golden then all this is moot. But if not, I think this bloke will soon be getting some of my hard-earned.

Jimbonaut said:
They also have the 823cc big bore kit (inc gaskets) for $150???

https://www.cruzinimage.net/2017/08/25/79-82-honda-cb750f-823cc-bigbore-pistons-kit-65mm/

GO FORTH! For that price why even bother with stock?

Oh also, I'm gonna dig up the dead horse we already beat about brake fluid. I found this while doing some reading the other day:

DOT4 will definitely harm paint. DOT5 is silicone based fluid, which is also the one less likely to absorb moisture. Unfortunately Brembo specifically recommends against using silicone based fluids in their products, citing chemical incompatibility with the composition of their rubber. DOT3 and DOT4 are American test performance standards, not chemical content standards. In Europe and Japan (probably the rest of the world) brake fluid meeting DOT3 standards was superseded by European standards years (decades?) ago. Those European standards are what DOT4 is intended to match. Todd#389.

Just to be an enabler. I will be over on the states for over 48 hours next weekend and wont use all my 800 tax free exemption if you want that tax free.... Has to arrive on 22nd though.

The pistons are still a maybe Mike, but the King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard t-shirt I've been eyeballing is now on its way to Shiretown 8)

Ha, OK. I have no money to spend of my own stuff so I got $800CAD less a bottle of whisky to get tax free.

Good on ya mate - I'm going to find out about this piston situation and will let you know. Can't have you crossing that border empty handed...

Finally heard back from the machine shop - the cylinder/piston clearances are right at the outer edge of spec - pre hone. So that's that decision made. If the jugs need to be bored then why the hell not go all out - 823cc piston kit here I come. Because whoever said "why?" to "more horsepower sir?"

I have installed but not run my pistons from them. (I should get on that)
When the machine shop measured them, only one was slightly different then the rest.
I haven’t heard any horror stories, with lots of people using them, so I figured it’s all good

Jimbonaut said:
Finally heard back from the machine shop - the cylinder/piston clearances are right at the outer edge of spec - pre hone. So that's that decision made. If the jugs need to be bored then why the hell not go all out - 823cc piston kit here I come. Because whoever said "why?" to "more horsepower sir?"
Hell yea

Carbs cleaned, rebuilt with new gaskets etc and reassembled -

pxSlEz4.jpg

T4ZYW8A.jpg

Here's the choke linkage -

T9HRHDY.jpg

I found this time that the choke butterflies weren't actuating when I tested the choke assembly. Turns out it's very easy to skew the alignment of the two choke "stems" going through the carbs, and also the butterflies themselves can bind against the inside of the carb bodies. When I bolted on the two long brackets that hold the bank together, this threw the alignment out of whack and the choke assembly seized up. I found that by loosely bolting on the rear bracket first (and continually checking that the choke operated) and then the front one, I could then tighten everything up while also keeping the alignment good and the choke working as advertised.

The float bowls and carb hats (whatever they're called) will get a decent polish later on, but for now this job's a good'un.

Mmmmm, pretties...

GaSePgH.jpg

Not gonna lie, been eyeing up piggyback shocks for years and figured now was as good as time as any to give these a shot. They're made by TEC Alloy, and if they work half as well as they look then I'll be very happy. Damn things even smell good. Adjustable damping and pre load, adjustable ride height - once they're installed and ridden for a while I'll be back with a ride report.

Let me know, those would be great on the GL. I have CB900F shocks on it now, but they are 27 years old LOL. I was tempted to open those and fondle them before I sent them but resisted. ;D

Back
Top Bottom