CB350 Four scrambler projet + brat?

trek97 said:
stator test is an easy one. 3 leads from stator. We can call them 1,2,3, Set meter to ohms. Read at the plug 1-2, 1-3, 2-3. They should all be around 1.0 ohms. If not, AND you have very sharp meter tips. Push the tips through the wire insulation close to the stator body itself. Read all three again. If it tests good here. Then start looking for the broken wire. Usually between the stator and the bend where it comes through the plastic seal. If you find the break you can then re-solder w a new wire. If it reads 1 ohm through wires 1-2, and nothing 2-3 and 1-3 then you know its wire 3 thats broke. Because 1 and 2 both read good.

FWIW. I just replaced mine w one of these Emgo.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Charging-System-Stator-For-72-77-Honda-CB350F-CB400F-CB-250F-400F-Super-Sport/372256368264?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D09206c93684348c89735cd799d1913e6%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dlo%26sd%3D182381367553%26itm%3D372256368264&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Yes new clutch discs and springs is a pretty easy job. Be sure to measure the steel plates while you're in there. Also, I use Rotella in the blue bottle in all my Hondas. Some oils can be too slippery causing slip issues.

Thanks for this quick stator test! I just did it. I had trouble getting a constant reading at first, since it's always difficult to stick the meter leads in the stator pin and hold them consistently but finally got a 1 constant 1 ohm reading on the 3 tests. So I guess my stator is fine?
I also tested the generator and it is OK too at 5 ohms.

Can the new regulator I installed be the problem? it is this one, it is advertised for the CB350F and I saw the same ones at 4into1.com
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Voltage-Regulator-Rectifier-Combo-For-Honda-CB350F-CB400F-CB500K-CB550-CB750-88/32888169424.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dKpU17N

Yeah I'll just go ahed and change the clutch plates, I don't know Rotella though, never saw that brand here in France, I've used Motul mineral oil.
What kind of clutch wrench do you use on the 350 four?
I ordered this one : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Motorcycle-Fly-Wheel-Clutch-Hub-Rotor-Sprockets-Spanner-Wrench-Holder-Tool-Black-Adjustable-Motor-Accessories/32901069480.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.15694c4dPATlzN

But I'm not sure if I should get a specific one like this one: https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB350-FOUR/part_236886/

Ok so I tried to install back the stock regulator & rectifier units and the battery is charging, with a good 13.5v at low idle. So the new cheap reg/rec combo I installed was the problem.
I don't know if I keep the old stock ones or buy a new, better quality reg/rec combo of a good site (not aliexpress stuff...)

But does the stock rectifier need to be grounded throught its mounting screw?? when I tested it installed on the stock airbox frame and touching the frame, battery was charging, but when I tried to remove it from the airbox frame and just plug it (without bolting it to the frame) battery wasn't charging... so I guess the mounting bolt is a ground point?

I believe it does require grounding.

Ive gotten all mine from Matt sparckmoto.com.

Ok I'll try to run the stock one with grounding waiting to receive the new one.

Wow they look good and shipping to france is cheap too, I'll get one from them!
it is this one right?
http://sparckmoto.com/Products/Detail/74

Thats the one.

If you have any questions about the job just email Matt (Sonreir here on dtt)

His customer service is outstanding.

Thanks, I've ordered it.

Oh ok that's cool, I didn't knew it was Sonreir's shop, I'm glad I ordered from him!

Anyway, do you have much experience truing spoked wheels? this is the bit I'm worried the most about, I didn't to a good job when lacing the wheels and the vertical alignment/truing ins't good... I'll try to fix this on the bike with the bike on a stand but I'm afraid I'll have to take the wheels out and bring them to a shop...

tahitianrider said:
Thanks, I've ordered it.

Oh ok that's cool, I didn't knew it was Sonreir's shop, I'm glad I ordered from him!

Anyway, do you have much experience truing spoked wheels? this is the bit I'm worried the most about, I didn't to a good job when lacing the wheels and the vertical alignment/truing ins't good... I'll try to fix this on the bike with the bike on a stand but I'm afraid I'll have to take the wheels out and bring them to a shop...

Never done it. I don't think I would have the patience or the guts to ride it after I tried doing it myself. ::)

trek97 said:
Never done it. I don't think I would have the patience or the guts to ride it after I tried doing it myself. ::)

Haha I understand, talk about patience... I've spent several hours on it and have to re do everything again...

Quick question about the Sprack moto reg/rec: does this one require body grounding? because the stock rectifier 5 wire connector doesn't have a grounding wire, since the body of the rectifier is the grounding point. So I don't see how the aftermarket reg/rec combo do not require grounding... since there is no ground wire in the plug...

Oh and when changing the clutch, do I really need to put fresh oil in, the current oil in my engine only ran for about 1 hour... and the oil previous to the one only 15min (I did a flush oil change)

The new R/R will have a separate ground wire (not in the plug) So you can ground it to a nearby frame bolt or whatever.

Be sure to compare the wire (color) location in the original plug against the new plug. As the new R/R unit is a universal setup.
I did have to swap a pair around to make it match up to one of my bikes. The 78 Hondamatic maybe??? I don't recall as I have 4 of these going.
They are easy to swap wires around in the plug without cutting wires. Just push a needle or stiff wire into the plug to release the small catch on the connector.
Pull it out of the plastic plug.
Re-bend the tiny catch hook on the connector and re-insert it into the proper location in the plastic plug. This will work on either harness plug or new plug.

Oil, Not sure about the 350F models. (Though, I imagine they are the same setup) But my 400F has small oil flow regulators located between the jugs and head.
They kinda look like fuel jets in the carbs. And they have have very small holes for the oil to flow through.

That being said, Check the oil that comes out for ANY particles that could clog up the works.

I also drained new-ish oil from mine and held it back to re-use in my old tractor. Re-filling w fresh is $20...thats pretty cheap insurance. ;)

Oh okay I understand, I will check this upon recival of the new R/R.
Maybe the problem with my other one is just grounding too... and wrong wires, it was even advertised with a wiring diagram for the 350 Four but I guess they did something wrong with the cable, I should give it a check.

Yeah I used to work with those connector on my CX500, pretty easy to swap wires around, I even have a special tool for that, a kind of flat needle to push the wire out of the plastic connector :)

Oh okay, I think the 350F is pretty similar to the 400F, I will check that, I did changed the oil filter twice already and cleaned the filter screen located in the bottom oil pan.

Yeah that sure is cheap insurrance :)
I'm just a little bit annoyed because I've put expensive, high end Motul mineral oil in there worth $50 lol

tahitianrider said:
Haha I understand, talk about patience... I've spent several hours on it and have to re do everything again...

Quick question about the Sprack moto reg/rec: does this one require body grounding? because the stock rectifier 5 wire connector doesn't have a grounding wire, since the body of the rectifier is the grounding point. So I don't see how the aftermarket reg/rec combo do not require grounding... since there is no ground wire in the plug...

Oh and when changing the clutch, do I really need to put fresh oil in, the current oil in my engine only ran for about 1 hour... and the oil previous to the one only 15min (I did a flush oil change)

There should be two ground wires for the new unit. The loose green wire that goes to the stator is one of the ground wires, but then the green wire that's part of the 6-pin plug is the main ground wire. This unit should be plug-and-play with the Honda SOHC fours, but if you're going with a bespoke setup, the colors are as follows.

From the unit to the bike:
Yellow x3 - These go to the three yellow wires coming from the alternator. Order doesn't matter.
Red - Directly to battery positive terminal (or hot side of the solenoid if that's easier)
Green in connector - Grounded to bare metal or connect to battery negative terminal
White - Goes from the unit to the white wire from the alternator
Loose green - Connects to green wire from the alternator
Black - Voltage sensing wire. This needs to connect to a power source that only have voltage when the key is turned on. Usually another black wire in the harness.

tahitianrider said:
Yeah that sure is cheap insurrance :)
I'm just a little bit annoyed because I've put expensive, high end Motul mineral oil in there worth $50 lol

I just use the Rotella oil from Walmart.

Thanks Sonreir for the wiring explanation, that is perfect and all I need :)

trek97 said:
I just use the Rotella oil from Walmart.

Yeah I'll do that too, found some cheap Repsol oil at $25 for 4 liter on amazon.

Sorry if I was misleading at all.

Matt made me a custom harness for my 400F so I didn't really have to pay attention to it.

As it all just plugged in. And I'm bad color blind. And I got 4 of these. Different ones of course. haha.

Haha no problem it wasn't misleading ;)

I dig a bit more and try to remove some electrical of the rectifier plug harness and woow... the green ground wire was entirely melted and in pieces holy.... not wonder it had problems.
The fuse on the wrecked bike was bypassed so the last time this bike ran, probably in the 80's, I think they had a short somewhere, and just bypassed the fused causing this wire to melt... I'm gonna be doing some soldering this weekend lol

I received the new clutch kit so I started to remove the old clutch, the oil I drained (1hour old only) came out really nice and clean so I'm still wondering if I re-use it or put the new oil I have in. I could still re-use this oil when starting the other engine from the second CB350F though.

Good news about the second "semi-seized" engine, it has been soaking with acetone/ATF for few weeks now, I so tried to connect some 12v to the starter and it is cranking and spinning freely!! it starter spins fast and I can see the crankshaft spinning from the points and also the pistons moving which is cool :)

tahitianrider said:
I received the new clutch kit so I started to remove the old clutch, the oil I drained (1hour old only) came out really nice and clean so I'm still wondering if I re-use it or put the new oil I have in. I could still re-use this oil when starting the other engine from the second CB350F though.

Good news about the second "semi-seized" engine, it has been soaking with acetone/ATF for few weeks now, I so tried to connect some 12v to the starter and it is cranking and spinning freely!! it starter spins fast and I can see the crankshaft spinning from the points and also the pistons moving which is cool :)

VERY COOL. Making me want to get started on my other 400/four. Its a kit (in boxes and buckets). Best part its the engine that actually came in the Black Knight so I already had it running and riding. 8)

Yep use that oil for start up on your next engine. good call.

Cool, glad to hear the other engine is spinning.........still may need rings and pistons, maybe?

But nice you got it loosened up.

trek97 said:
VERY COOL. Making me want to get started on my other 400/four. Its a kit (in boxes and buckets). Best part its the engine that actually came in the Black Knight so I already had it running and riding. 8)

Yep use that oil for start up on your next engine. good call.

Haha my second 350/four is also a kit in boxes at the moment. If you have room for the 400/four go ahead and build it :)
Right now I'll move all the parts of my second 350/four to my parents' place so I'll have a project to do there this summer, my garage here is currently full of bikes and can't handle another one lol

WhyNot said:
Cool, glad to hear the other engine is spinning.........still may need rings and pistons, maybe?

But nice you got it loosened up.

Yeah maybe, I'll check this and the compression when I'll get it running again, I will fist clean all major components that can be remove easily then try to restart it, measure compression and inspect the cylinder walls.

Back
Top Bottom