The bike Honda never built - or, my MR250 Elsinore for the Vintage 1000

Mr.E said:
Thanks XB, I'll be sure to do that. For now I've still got to get a 28mm socket for the clutch and make a rotor puller because Honda wanted to make this one different from everything else I guess. Oh well, I've got a lathe, 20x1.5mm die, a brain and a welder. I'll make one and save $9 :)
you can do the rear shocks at home too homeboy its just a 3 dimension seal with a wiper built in
all it takes is a little bit of heat to get them apart j
just be sure and not use the eye clamped in vice they are cast bodies and will snap off
use large soft wood jaws in a vice and there is a flat side to the fins for getting a good purchase
when ya fill em back up with atf ya gotta leave room for the shaft and piston all the ways balls in deep plus a little for weather expansion

CCRider said:
Very cool Mr.E! More info on this Vintage 1000 thing?

Thanks Chris! Not a whole lot more info on it except that it's Aug 16. My goal is to have this heap rolling by mid June tho. The ride itself will go from Chattanooga down into mid/lower Mississippi and back in 4 days. There are three classes: less than $1000, more than $1000, and team. I'm shooting for the less than $1000 bracket, but gonna make the absolute most of what I can. There's supposed to me around 20 riders, and the list is full. I was actually on the waiting list for a few months.

Not much shiny progress to speak of from the weekend. Just took the roller on down to the frame and been cleaning parts/getting inventory. The frame will be getting powdercoat after I weld a few gussets in places this weekend.

Sounds like a blast Mr.E. I'd love to do the TAT someday.

You want more Elsinores? Here's mine from the way back machine. Same one doing the tow duties in my avatar.

Chris that's cool. A CR elsinore is on my wishlist, but with 3 MR's in my shop my plate is pretty full for a while.

This weekend I'll be adding some frame gussets, and maybe braze the few holes in the motor. Then carb cleaning, and whatever else I can swing at.

Nothing much to see tonight. But as soon as i slap some Ichiban assembly tape on these brake pads I'll re install them.

3067-050316014742.jpeg

Also,

3067-050316014900.jpeg

Don't think I'll be doing any hill climbs soon, but perhaps I can use it as an aluminum skil saw blade.

found some speed holes in the gas tank last night
3067-050316191727.jpeg

This is gonna take a little voodoo to resurrect

3067-050316191832.jpeg

and one of the pegs was bent. Since Honda, in their infinite wisdom decided welded peg mounts were best, I had do notch it, heat, bend, and re-weld it.

3067-060316172959.jpeg

Thats all for now folks. stay tuned to see if the tape I put on the tank is gas proof!

Added some good vinyl tape to the holes and heated it for good adhesion. Gotta add some bondo tonight and hope it stays sealed.
3067-070316085440.jpeg

Yamaha bllue tape on a red Honda tank? Tacky, at best. SHould have used the Honda red tape. Or an Ichiban sticker probably would have worked even better. They are impervious to everything.

CharlieT said:
Yamaha bllue tape on a red Honda tank? Tacky, at best. SHould have used the Honda red tape. Or an Ichiban sticker probably would have worked even better. They are impervious to everything.

Well since I am thinking of a yellow/white/black scheme on the bike when done I just used what I had. I kinda want it to mimic a Suzuki RM cause they are badass.

canyoncarver said:
Nothing beats Gorilla Glue.

ive used gorilla glue to fix cracked plastic snowmobile tanks before. it really works great, and like E said, a little heat from a heat gun, or even a propane torch (if your super careful) helps to seat the adhesive in. It makes almost a chemical bond. I would think that it would be even stronger on a steel tank.

Damnit! Why are you fucking up Sochiro's scientifically designed tank venting system?

hey mister e if you want a period correct oversize plastic gas tank i think i have a doozi
just pay the shipping and a cup o coffee
the extra gallon will come in handy

there may be a few here who recognize this tank
there were other versions but they all had a laurel and hardy like moniker
who was the iconic tuner, racer ,LEGEND, entrepenuar who distributed these and other products with 'is name for the sig of the brand ?

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 375
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 366
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 358
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 373
That does look like a Clarke! But I'm not up on my desert tanks very well. Sir, let me know how much $ and where to, and I'll get it to ya. I'd love to keep the historical accuracy on this build as much as I can.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom