72' CL350 nickle and dime time

Re: 72' CL350 "KILLING MACHINE"

emcarthu said:
yeah sure is a metal cam roller. ordered it from http://www.cappellinimoto.it/ turned out to be not much more than replacing the original cam roller set up as well. hope it worth it anyway... :-\
Im sure itll be worth it, I've heard that the rubber rollers go quick, specially if the being riden hard and lets be honest.

Very cool. One of my favorite seats I've seen done out of a tank. Awesome!

only took this one picture last night cause i was rushing to do stuff. but i cut the side of my seat and it's gonna wrap around the back lip of my tank so the whole seat will finish perfectly to the tank. got both sides cut out and here's a look at one of them. more to come.
CIMG0045.jpg

thanks, just need to figure out how to mount it to the frame now. ???

Great work man! Im really looking forward to seeing you finish this one!

Is it going to be a separate piece or are you going to weld it to the tank?

How hard would it be to make some brackets to attach your seat to the stock locations?

I'm trying to think of a way you can utilize your shock mount points on the frame of your bike.

If you go for a detachable seat pad you can weld on some cross members on the frame of your bike and bolt your seat down in several locations and cover the bolt heads with your seat pad. Better yet, weld some nuts on the bottom of your seat and bolt it on from the bottom through a cross members/ flanges.

Same thing could work for the sides... you could use buts and bolts or aircraft quick release pins.

You could even use some leather straps wrapping around the seat and frame secured by snaps.

What else?

The seat is going to be a separate piece, but i think all the original seat mounts are gone, I'm thinking that there will be some brackets across the frame rails that will support the seat and the seat pan will hide all the hardware. i still talking about options with my dad and uncle and i think we'll figure something out next time we're all out at his shop. hopefully it'll be finished next time i'm out there and i'll post a bunch of pictures next time. I know the batteries gotta go in the bump too i'm gonna have one of those super small speedcell batteries.

got the seat mostly finished with A LOT of help from my dad and uncle yesterday. IT IS A TANK. it's being finished welded today by a friend of my uncles. other than that I put on the new shocks, and lowered the forks to see how it's going sit. looking pretty good. it V's a little in the center right now where the tank and seat meet. probably just gonna put some larger rubber grommets under the tank to raise it up a bit. My uncle also welded together a plate for all the shit that was on the battery box (ie. rectifier, voltage regulator) that is now gonna sit between the frame rails. you can' see it even if you're looking for it.

CIMG0060.jpg

CIMG0063.jpg

CIMG0062.jpg

CIMG0066.jpg

Re: 72' CL350 "KILLING MACHINE" seat progress

hard to get down to my uncles shop without a car but I managed to today and with a little help from my dad and uncle got a little work done.

the back of the frame is all chopped up and boxed in now so it isn't visible underneath the rear of the tail. there are two nut plates welded inside the back of the seat and two bolts hold it on in the back and two underneath in the front.

CIMG0069.jpg

CIMG0070.jpg

CIMG0074.jpg

CIMG0073.jpg

the kickstand is also in its new spot and functions perfectly.

CIMG0068.jpg

got the rear brake worked out. just cut down the rod and gave it a couple of nice bends.

CIMG0072.jpg

kick stand tucks up nicely.

CIMG00781.jpg

riding position feels really comfy too. well... as comfy as it can be anyway.

CIMG0075.jpg

also knocked off the chain guard tabs on the swing arm and ground them down, and figured out I can utilize the the old center stand mounts to mound my exhaust to so thumbs up to that. a lot of grinding and some finish welds and I'll be ready to strip it down and get ready to paint

Must be really nice to have that many hands and that much knowledge in the shop at one time. Looks like it's paying off big time!

Keep it up man.

Really cool lines on this bike man. Very original too. Looking forward to seeing ya wrap it up!

definitely nice to have so much experience in the shop, I've been by there to grind on the frame. needs a few more welds, a little more grinding then I should be ready for paint, or powder rather. I've got almost everything i need to finish the project, minus the acewell gauge, and the speedcell battery (the biggest wallet denters). ordered new pads, shoes, gas cap, steering stem bearings, and fork seals today. just gotta work out the colors for this thing now. i wish you could buy black spokes... :-\

finishing this project up.

tank and seat are pretty much ready for paint
IMG_1093.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg

some polished bits
IMG_1099.jpg

brake caliper is refinished in gold
IMG_1100.jpg

rims and spokes getting cleaned up and ready for powder
IMG_1102.jpg

more to come.

Even just primed, the tank and seat are sharp. Great work!

wow, i can't wait to see it painted! the tank and seat already look awesome. and good job on the polished bits :)

so, where can i set up my cot?

Back
Top Bottom