Un-remarkable BMW re-fresh. DONE.

Re: A rather un-remarkable BMW re-fresh.

I found the gearbox was over filled.

So far, Looking like draining and refilling gearbox to the proper level, did the trick.

Over the past week the leak slowed and now have none!

Cleaned tank out. yuck.

IMG_0942_zpsvpuzmmdv.jpg

IMG_0943_zpsjyvxgqcy.jpg

IMG_0944_zps1kbalu2m.jpg

Pulled the pump out and the screen looks to be in decent shape.

IMG_0953_zpsmilyfwow.jpg

IMG_0946_zpstlrdjpfg.jpg

tank topped off w a new gasket.

IMG_0945_zpsun8qgd70.jpg

anyone know what the two smaller crush washers w the oil kit are for?

IMG_0951_zpsndmplkuc.jpg

Found old breather tube cracked. I replaced it w new.

IMG_0952_zpslwl7i8bm.jpg

IMG_0947_zps5skdqj4g.jpg

found the radiator cap was missing the large gasket. Luckily the kit included both gaskets.

IMG_0940_zpssbpsi47n.jpg

IMG_0950_zpsbog8hdba.jpg

Sweet dude... looks like you are getting all the essentials right.

BMW = Bring My Wallet!

3DogNate said:
Sweet dude... looks like you are getting all the essentials right.

BMW = Bring My Wallet!

thanks, I have an awesome mentor/cheerleader!

and thats a BIG 10-4. Friggen BMWs aint cheap.

Maritime said:
Nice work. Glad I found this to watch.

Thanks, and sorry bro. Whitetail season is approaching real fast. So gotta take a month off for that.

Well shit of course kill as many of the fuckers you can and make steak and suasages. Deer are assholes and should be meat on a plate.

But will leave you w this pic for now.

got her all bolted back up today and took her for a real ride.

Everything functions exactly as the boys over at BMW intended. She is a smoooth, rock solid machine.
I am delighted.

After hunting season I will strip her down and prep her for paint and finish the clean up.

IMG_0094_zps9ziwexgm.jpg

Maritime said:
Well shit of course kill as many of the fuckers you can and make steak and suasages. Deer are assholes and should be meat on a plate.

HA, couldnt have put it better myself. But to be perfectly honest. Most of it goes in the dog and gets turned into lawn fertilizer. We only use backstraps, tenderloins and hams for Italian Venison.

Thanks bro I try to do the best I can.

Got the "new/old" solo seat installed and adjusted. I dont think the dude on ebay was lying. He said it came on his 1988 K75 when he bought it new. Replaced it w a 2 up seat after only having it 3 days and its been packed and stored ever since.

IMG_0962_zpsuwgfarzq.jpg

Nice. That bike looks a lot cooler with the solo seat.

Between the fresh seat, new tires and slowly cleaning up the aluminum...the sun beat paint gets shittier and shittier.

Looking real nice, love the solo seat. Maybe a good polish on the paint will bring it back up.

You may well find the K75 to be the best, most durable bike you ever own. I have two, a 1994 K75RT and a 1995 K75 that I've owned since 2001 (K75) and 2003 (K75RT). The K75 is my warm/wet weather bike and the K75RT is my winter ride. I retired two years ago, but ran that RT to work for 11 winters, every day unless there was significant ice or snow on the roads. There were times it was 12°F after work, but it started as easily as if it were in my garage. I have eight bikes, but these two (IMO) are absolutely the most solid, robust designs of any (I have Harleys, another BMW, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Kawasaki).

At some point (I'm sure your mentor has said something) you'll need to lube the input splines on the transmission. Lots of labor, but not much cost (as I recall, just three copper crush washers for the exhaust pipes, and maybe a tiny clip for the pivot rod for the clutch arm at the back of the trans). I've done so many of these lubes (for my bikes and also for friends with K75s) that I have a special sawhorse that goes on my Handy lift (on which I use the side extensions).

Oh, and you STOLE that bike for $1000! Good for you!

HerrDeacon said:
Looking real nice, love the solo seat. Maybe a good polish on the paint will bring it back up.

Thanks bro! A polish on the paint sure wouldnt hurt. But, Im afraid its a lost cause, its really rough and beat up.

It truly is an example of "Looks better in the pics".

cookiemech said:
You may well find the K75 to be the best, most durable bike you ever own. I have two, a 1994 K75RT and a 1995 K75 that I've owned since 2001 (K75) and 2003 (K75RT). The K75 is my warm/wet weather bike and the K75RT is my winter ride. I retired two years ago, but ran that RT to work for 11 winters, every day unless there was significant ice or snow on the roads. There were times it was 12°F after work, but it started as easily as if it were in my garage. I have eight bikes, but these two (IMO) are absolutely the most solid, robust designs of any (I have Harleys, another BMW, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Kawasaki).

At some point (I'm sure your mentor has said something) you'll need to lube the input splines on the transmission. Lots of labor, but not much cost (as I recall, just three copper crush washers for the exhaust pipes, and maybe a tiny clip for the pivot rod for the clutch arm at the back of the trans). I've done so many of these lubes (for my bikes and also for friends with K75s) that I have a special sawhorse that goes on my Handy lift (on which I use the side extensions).

Oh, and you STOLE that bike for $1000! Good for you!

Thanks! First thing I did. So, been there done that. Moly 77.

Also, I am planning to pull the clutch lever this winter to freshen up the needle bearings. And look into adding a grease zerk. Already got the new crush washers, in the parts bin ready to go.

IMG_0885_zpskg4q4vmc.jpg

IMG_0878_zps9f60g5gd.jpg

IMG_0875_zpsxtdzu6gq.jpg

IMG_0860_zpsl2p0pzhe.jpg

OK, sounds like you're all over this! Apparently you've come up to speed on the K75 quirks WAY faster than I did, 15 years ago.

But . . . I'm wondering . . . why are you showing the splines on the shaft and final drive? Not saying you didn't do the transmission input splines . . . :)

trek97 said:
Between the fresh seat, new tires and slowly cleaning up the aluminum...the sun beat paint gets shittier and shittier.

It's black... you can polish the shit outta that paint. Maguire's #7 is your friend on black.... You can get the paint work handled properly later. (or over the winter...) probably looking at $500-600 at a body shop for a knockout paint job.

cookiemech said:
OK, sounds like you're all over this! Apparently you've come up to speed on the K75 quirks WAY faster than I did, 15 years ago.

But . . . I'm wondering . . . why are you showing the splines on the shaft and final drive? Not saying you didn't do the transmission input splines . . . :)

Ha ha I peeked up her dress as best I could...but that's all the further I went w that.

Oh and sorry I forgot to tell you earlier. Welcome to DTT. 8)

IMG_0863_zpsazhb0xfn.jpg

3DogNate said:
It's black... you can polish the shit outta that paint. Maguire's #7 is your friend on black.... You can get the paint work handled properly later. (or over the winter...) probably looking at $500-600 at a body shop for a knockout paint job.

I don't like the black. And I got a buddy in Petersburg Illinois. He started painting his own hot rods maybe 15-20yrs ago. So not a pro-painter but getting better. I'm gonna talk to him about spraying it. I don't need a show car shine. Just something better than i can rattle job in my garage.

Back
Top Bottom