Which bike for Cafe Racer Build?

cdirk

I know...its another one of those which bike threads. I am hoping I dont get pummeled for asking. I am planning my first Cafe build. Looking for a good platform to start with, I would like to use a bike from the 90's or early 2000's. I dont want a bike thats too old. I am 6'2" 225 lbs. So anything under 750CC's is out of the question. Bikes I am considering.

1. BMW K100 or K75 but prefer bigger engine in the 100. (Seems like a fairly simple bike to convert)
2. Suzuki bandit 1200 I know this one would require some modification to make the seat work. (Fast bike)
3. Suzuki Katana
4. Kawasaki GPZ 750, 900, or 1100
5. Honda Nighthawk 750

I am open to suggestions on other models. But these are the ones I have been looking at so far. Also, if I needed to do any cutting or welding I have a friend who could handle the job as he is a professional welder.

Basically looking for a bike I can use a stock tank or mojave style tank on, put cafe racer seat on, already has rear sets would be a plus, headlight, speedo mod's., other lights, and handlebar modifications on. Strip it down, take off all unnecessary parts and add the parts needed to cafe the bike.

If I could by a modern bike I would just not in the cards right now with two kids in college. I love the way the BMW Nine T looks.

Let me know what you suggest. Seems like the BMW K100 would be easiest to work with.

A quick image search of K100 cafe's tells me go that route. Nobody was ever fired for buying BMW ;) I'm biased as a BMW owner, but I think it would be an ideal base.

i currently have a nighthawk 750 ISH
that modified it now has monoshock suspension
and 36mm mikuni flatslide carbs
its a nimble and very quick bike a lot of fun to take up the parkway or the snake

Look at a Moto Guzzi Jackal or California. There is some real hidden beauty under those huge tanks and seats. Plus they ride very nicely, have plenty of power and handle great.

I was also considering some Buell models. Have even thought about the Buell blast but given its a 500CC single i would need to hop up the engine to get some power out of it. 515 Kit or 600 kit plus cams and headwork is over a grand. A-lot of money to put into a blast. But you can get em for around $1,000 in decent shape. So even with engine work and cafe racer parts it would probably be less than $3K into the bike.

I will take a look at the Moto Guzzi's models you mention above.

Funny you mentioned Buell! I'm in the middle of a Buell blast build myself. I'm a bit smaller than you so boring out may not be needed for my build... Don't laugh but we ripped the blast apart nearly 5 yrs ago and we still aren't finished! She's gettin close though... Did something totally radical with the frame which is finally getting powder coated...
020e9837351727bfaaaee119294dd3e3.jpg

Sent from my LGMS631 using DO THE TON mobile app

By the way this is my first as well. I bought the 01 Buell and rode it a few months b4 taredown... Only parts we kept were the engine and wiring harness. Front forks are cbr1000, swingarm Buell lightning, all else custom. I'll start a thread of the build when I get a chance;-) good luck on your build where ever you go! Cheers

Yah, the blast does look like a good platform to build on other than the engine being small. I read a few people saying on another forum that a 515kit, stage 2 headwork, and cam is close to an 1200XL in power. Power to Weight being what it is on the blast.

But the other buells look like good choices too. The pricing on buells is down alot of people dont seem interested in them. I see them for under $3K up here. Could probably pick one up for $2000 - $2500. They are pretty fast. I have a 1200XL now that I ride, but looking to keep that as is.

The buell cyclone, lightning, XB models look like good choices.

Love that buell blast build you are doing. Lines are nice. They are so cheap right now to pickup its hard to ignore them for some modern technology and using as a cafe build.

Thanks for the kudos! I picked her for around $1800 from a college student... Believe it or not it was too big for her!... She was about 4' 10" Asian girl... I wish I had another bike to ride whilst building this one but hey you can't always get what ya want;-)

I dont think I could go without another bike to ride, unless something forced me into that situation. I would drive a rust bucket or dirt bike converted for the road if i had to, just to have something to ride while my project bike was in pieces.

I know what you mean... I truly never would have guessed it would take this long... I thought eighteen months top! It took that long to get the tube for the frame bent and welded for the triple tree... I am ancier by the minute at this point

What about a early triumph from the 90s 3 cyclider .900 sprint don't know if they did them over in the states .?? But they do make nice cafe racers

Pics of 900 sprint done

Attachments

• fbd6e499f4a8676ced0507882d2c7114.jpg
    fbd6e499f4a8676ced0507882d2c7114.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 286
  • be8c3405c2b6a35098e9a1a5dfb60c00.jpg
    be8c3405c2b6a35098e9a1a5dfb60c00.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 631
That Sprint looks nice...probably rare..here in the states. I did some research last night and got some further direction...1982 Suzuki GSXR 1100E really grabbed my attention, and the bikes from Honda and Yamaha that competed with this bike during that time period. Vance & Hines makes pipes for them still, they are all 90HP or more and already have lines that seem like they would make a good platform for a cafe racer.

Yamaha FJ1100, Honda magna V65, Honda VF1000R or 900R, Honda CB1100.

Check out this video of the Suzuki 1100E....simply awesome...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByKMeAjJ3rA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLs8eo19WhI

After much thought i decided to just do a cafe racer build on my Sportster 1200. I figure why mess with finding a used bike that has alot of unknowns. I know my bike well so I am just going use it and build it. Burly stilletto shocks rear, springs in front, remove fender and cut the struts in rear put in tail loop for seat support (already have a mustang cafe style seat on it), RSD Gauge relocator, turn drag bars down or get some clubman bars, mid controls, chrome spoke wheels in front and rear.

One dilemma. With no rear fender what are people using for DOT approved brake lights? Where mounted and where do you put your signal lights?

It is not a DOT approved light. We don’t have any inspections here in Ohio. I needed to get the title put into my name, it was from out of state and needed to get the vin inspected. but I forgot about that until after I had it torn down. I took the bare frame to the title office and they didn’t blink. That is the on,y time anyone at the state will need to look over the bike.

Back
Top Bottom