My first build - 1979 GS425

cmo27

I've been lurking around the site for a while now and finally decided to register and share my first build. I am a novice in every sense of the word.. This was my very first bike and very first build. It's not perfect, but for my first go round, I'm pleased with how it turned out. Thoughts and opinions are appreciated!!

1979 GS425

Here is what it looked like when I brought it home.. Terrible cosmetically, but ran good.

Suzuki027.jpg

And here is what it looks like now.

2012-11-15_15-29-17_985.jpg

I will add several more photos from the build process in the next you posts..

JustinLonghorn said:
Welcome to the site, sir. Pretty nice little scoot you've got there.

Thank you!! Trying to get up a few more pics of the build process now.. Maybe it will give someone some inspiration along the way..

I have quite a few more pics I have to upload to my computer from my camera.. These were all taken and uploaded with my phone.. Pics of the fork spring replacement, carbs cleaning, miscellaneous wiring, etc.. I will hopefully get them posted within the nest week once I get a new cable for my camera..

Hope you all enjoy my first build!! Comments are more than welcome!

Thanks for the compliments Yogi and Tiger!

Brent, I swear it wasn't my initial intention on the paint scheme, that's just the direction it took.. lol

Oooh and that headlight sneaks right up on you on that very last pic of the build. Where'd you find something like that? Don't think I've seen that before. Definitely gives some inspiration! Welcome to the site!

SilkySmooth750 said:
Oooh and that headlight sneaks right up on you on that very last pic of the build. Where'd you find something like that? Don't think I've seen that before. Definitely gives some inspiration! Welcome to the site!

It was a cheap eBay find.. $9-10 if I'm not mistaken..

Hey man great build, happy you took this route. Have the same idea with my 450, at the moment im trying to install the pod filters and relocate the battery. Did you have any carb problems with the pods?

Oddly enough, when I removed the factory air box there was no filter in there.. My assumption was the PO must've had the carbs rejetted or something. I haven't put many miles on the bike yet because I finished it right before winter struck so I'm not positive it's 100% dialed in.. And unfortunately I do not know what size jets are in there currently. When I went thru the carbs I just pulled them apart and dipped them in cleaner overnight. They were in fairly decent shape so that's why I assume they were cleaned and rejetted before I bought the bike.

Back
Top Bottom