Replacing gaskets behind points and tach housings

A

arudeseal

Hey guys,
I am new to DTT, I have two questions, and I apologize if this has been covered already, but if it has I couldn't find it.

1968 CL350, stock everything except short, handlebars, lights, rectifier, and seat.

1st. I have replaced the oil seal in the points housing, but there is still oil leaking down onto my spark plug. Is it possible to replace the gasket behind the points housing without pulling the engine? If so, is it a pretty straight forward process (remove the screws, pull the housing, replace the gasket, put the housing, points plate, back together?) Just want to know what I am getting myself into. I am trying to do everything correctly, and not half-ass, and the oil leak, though its nothing crazy, really drives me crazy.

2nd. I have ordered several different kinds of o-rings, even honda 0-rings for the oil filter cap, but they all seem to be way too thick to get the cap pushed back in enough to put the circlip back in. I am using the puller bolt as well as a rubber hammer to get the cap pushed back as far as possible, but it is still impossible to get the circlip into the groove it belongs in. Is there a good place to order the proper o-ring? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!
Andrew

I have the same problem with the oil leak onto the spark plugs. Yes there is a gasket back there that you can replace. here is a schematic for it. its labeled as #4: http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1972-honda-cl350k4-cylinder-head-side-cover-points-advancer/o/m9205sch396426

Unfortunately BikeBandit.com doesn't sell them. and i have no idea where to find them or how much they cost. Also if you do replace it, then you have to take the cover, points plate, advancer plate, and the housing of to get at it. Then after reassembly you will have to do then timing, because IT WILL BE OFF also you will HAVE TO DO THE VALVE CLEARANCE aswell. If you dont know how to do that, here is a video i used to teach myself with, note his bike is a cl360? anyway its the same thing. but you will need to be careful and take your time to do it right. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCzT0W_TwM4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJixCLKu3Ys&feature=relmfu
Hope this helps! ::) cheers

I think these might be what your looking for..
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=200077933412&index=10&nav=SEARCH&nid=75314099665
These are the ones I got to repair the same problem on my 73.. they are easy to replace. And more importantly it fixed my oil leak.. they are no longer available from Honda, I think there is a few gasket kits that do have them but I'm not certain.. the ones i got were Nos units.. hope this helps

Also 91309-286-000 is the correct p/n for the filter o ring.. they do swell when they get oily maybe that is part of your issue.. again hope this helps..

Thanks guys,
I have the gaskets for the tach and points housings, I just wanted to make sure that I could pull the housing off to get to the gasket without screwing anything up.
I appreciate your input, and I'm sure I'll have some questions once I get into the project.
Thanks!
Andrew

By the way, strictly out of curiosity,

What is the worst case scenario if you replace your oil filter cap without the o-ring? Is the o-ring there simple to make sure nothing that the filter traps is able to make its way back out into the oil?

Again, is it normal to have such a hard time getting the cap back into place with a fresh o-ring?

I ended up chipping my last cap trying to beat it back in far enough to put the circlip back in. Ordered a used oil filter assembly off of ebay, soaked it too long in degreaser and the aluminum became oxidized, so I wasted $35.00 there. Ordered another and cleaned it only with citrus, water, and a toothbrush. Reinstalled it finally, but cant get the cap in with a new o-ring installed. I guess I'll order the honda part number again, maybe something was f-ed up with the last set I ordered.

Thanks!
Andrew

The cam seal also likes to leak.. and the superseded p/n from Honda isn't correct.. on the oil filter cap all I can say is are you certain you are installing it correctly? It I remember correctly the cap fits specifically into the ribs inside the housing.. just a thought good luck

Back
Top Bottom